GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ode to the lump of green putty...

Go down 
+2
Bill Hagan
bahamazoo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Ode to the lump of green putty... Empty
PostSubject: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:42 pm

So, while replacing fuel hoses, filters, and finally fixing the 'quick release' forever, I spotted this...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]" border="0" alt=""/>

anybody wanna have a guess???

to help out, its soft and quite.... mmmm... tactile!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]" border="0" alt=""/>

and thats how you fix the 'quick release' my friends!!
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:55 pm

mmmm investigation required then....
the green lump at about 0230 in the pic, to the right of the alternator, certainly looks to have melted.
It seems to be attached to the head of the set screw bolt on the alternator belt adjuster...
I'm guessing that its likely genuine Italian, since the airbox has never been out before Wednesday, and the belt has not been adjusted either. (likely due now that I think about it...)...

EDIT:
okay, just found that the belt set screw can be accessed up behind the header pipe, if you either have a work table that is 5 foot off the ground, or you perform a headstand, gripping the bars with your knees...
Removed some of green lump for inspection; doesn't seem minty - spear or otherwise, but does have a rubbery scent!
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:51 am

No guesses on that green stuff Rolling Eyes, but I'll bite on the quick-release fix.

Before I noticed the chopped-off line, I thought that the change was only the filing down of the "barbs" that retain the line cap when in place.

I kinda like your apparent theory that it is easier to replace the hose than battle the bastard "quick release."

FWIW, I released that on my Norge's tank the other day.  As I had forgotten to run the line dry first, the quick release sulked a bit and was as cantankerous as a Kentucky mule. [Yes, a shameless pun because it pleased me so much.   Embarassed   ]

Anyway, after a few minutes of the usual exertions, cursing, and failures, I used a small-bladed screwdriver to move the gray cap's tangs over the barbs.  Worked like a champ.

Easier on a Norge than a GRiSO as one can lift the tank much higher to see and work on the annoying gizmo.

I had been considering one of those permanent metal connectors as I knew I would eventually bust the plastic doodad, but may go your chopping route ... assuming I understand what you did!  Wink  

Oh, and good luck with figuring out that "gum."  Will be curious if anyone knows what it is.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:45 pm

Based on an earlier post, it's probably Gumby!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:50 pm

Is that a cantankerous Kentucky mule?
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:54 pm

Aptly named "Pokey"!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Isss a noo Pokeymon!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:08 pm

Pete, you certainly are a twisted MF - can't wait to catch up one day for an ale...
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:42 pm

G'day Bill,
good job on your wrenching, often daunting, rarely as bad as imagined...

Shopping list for fuel connectors:
1 x LCD17004V - 1/4 Hose Barb Valved In-Line Chrome-plated Brass Coupling Body
1 x LCD22004V - 1/4 Hose Barb Valved In-Line Coupling Insert
V = viton seal
sourced from
John Alicandro
Controls for Automation
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
there in the US, a very helpful gentleman indeed.

Using the original red elbow, but braced with a saddle clamp.
I did have to realign the outlet across to the right, onto the breather hose bolt position, to get the tank to sit down properly- after this pic...

This is with the tank sitting on a little block, as usual, for access to the fuel release. I sits alongside the airbox neatly.

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:33 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Pete, you certainly are a twisted MF - can't wait to catch up one day for an ale...

I can't help it. First round's on me!

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:33 pm

I'm in! When we lose count of who's shout it is, we hit the bottle of rum. OK
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:54 pm

Don't do it street, ruuuun street run. Razz
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Street, I think you might be on to something!
security cameras are handy...

oh, and word is, if Tony gets the rum out and crushes the cap, brace yourself!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:55 am

Or if not Gumby, maybe it's your avatar, Bahama Zoo!

And thanks for the warnings guys. Rum's not my beverage of choice in any case, but it sounds like I'd better be on my toes if Tony ever comes to town.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ode to the lump of green putty...   Ode to the lump of green putty... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ode to the lump of green putty...
Page 1 of 1