GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Second bike but why

Go down 
+34
fredfrenzy
dennis the menace
wardentm
Gr8V
Dilliw
Steak
GNORTS
remgitano
Midlifecrisis
g®eg
beetle
GUZ21
mike 850T
Baross
rboe
NorthernProducer
rudolf35
Diablo Loco
Papa Lazarou
Belfastguzzi
Browning
keenerkeen07
Jhtjon
Ekimyrf
not-fishing
Bill Hagan
Bulldog9
boxerscott
Pete Roper
LBC Tenni
Guzzi Cat
Charlie J
bioman
Birch
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Second bike but why - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:37 am

I'm hearing something light and nimble and fun and easy to ride. I've ridden a Breva 750, I get it.

A mate has a 675 Street Triple and a DRZ400 with both off-road and motard wheels. His misses is about 4' 11" so he bought her a lowered KTM 390 Duke (naked = standard doesn't it?) for her 1st bike.
I haven't ridden the KTM but I have his other 2 bikes, so I can relate to all his positive comparative descriptions of what a wonderful ride it is.

They go on 2-3 hour rides thru the twisties, and have no complaints.

So if your misses wants something light and nimble and fun and easy to ride, like a V7, get her bum on a KTM 390 seat and go test ride it.
Power to weight ratio is favours the KTM with 0.5kg less to carry per horsepower (Guzzi 3.6:1 & KTM 3.1:1), but the specs that impress me the most are the 150mm of suspension travel and 140kg weight. Will make for an agile smooth ride over rough twisties.
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:33 am

I picked up a CB1100. In town I prefer it to the GRiSO. Lighter on her feet (had to buy new tires; went with Michelin Road Pilot 3's and I think I'll need to go with them on the GRiSO), better brakes (by a whisker). In general, a bit better ergo's than the GRiSO.

For the open road, the GRiSO is better (I often wonder how a CB1100 with an 8V engine grafted into would be) but the CB is no slouch. The motor does not have the throb of a locomotive and can be a wee bit buzzy at higher rpm's. On the other hand, the CB does not bring out the bad boy in me like the GRiSO can. Very Happy

I have a XR650L for dirt, but you know, the GRiSO does fairly well on the dirt......
Back to top Go down
Baross
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Baross

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:18 am

This is a fascinating thread that goes to the heart of my existential motorcycling crisis. So many bikes and so little time..... though I deeply respect those who are inclined toward moto 'monagamy'. Shamefully, I have to confess to a lifetime of promiscuity.

To cut to the chase, my recently acquired GRiSO 1200 is likely to earn long-term relationship status for reasons that are amply described in this forum. She currently shares garage space with a Dorso 1200 and a Ducati St4s (the latter acquired by accident).

The St is a rough diamond - a little tired cosmetically but a peach to ride having been resprung back and front. Superb steering and beautiful linear power. Reasonably comfortable and they are now very cheap - to purchase but not to maintain. Nice complement to the GRiSO if you do a bit of pillion work and want some luggage space - a priority for myself at the moment.

The Dorso is a riot - not popular and therefore cheap (got mine for $9k with 3,000km and 6 months warranty remaining). Bought mainly to purge myself of waning fantasies of heroism (track days) but as I'm pushing 62 I suspect it's days are numbered. I can see a GRiSO track day looming once I get the shock sorted out. Thus the great wheel of motorcycling karma turns another notch. I wonder what the forthcoming European shows will reveal?
Back to top Go down
mike 850T
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mike 850T

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:32 pm

I bought the GRiSO 2008 as second bike, its now number 1  Wink
bin riding the the 850T since 1980, put the chair on it in 86, used it to take the kids to rally`s
allot of fun  Twisted Evil  especialy in winter so I´ll never part with it.
when my nipper wants to go, I use it for a bike meetings. Pillage!
the Thunderbird belongs to my Mrs.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:38 pm

I had a 900 Tbird. A wonderful bike. Had to sell it when I was made redundant. I'd have another but they are now getting pricey in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:53 pm

Always liked those Thunderbirds.

Just found a local ad for a nicely done R60 I might have to look at.
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:10 pm

Then a 1973 Eldorado pops up.

This is just mean.
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:50 pm

Birch wrote:

This is just mean.

Pssst-the Tbird is a bit better.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:54 pm

Papa Lazarou wrote:
Birch wrote:

This is just mean.

Pssst-the Tbird is a bit better.

The T bird is a.... ham sandwich ......meh Smile
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:59 pm

The other day I saw a parked Ducati GT1000.  I thought it was a VERY pretty bike.  And I am sure they are also VERY nice to ride!

Back to top Go down
GUZ21
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
GUZ21

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:00 am

Arrggghhhh. Do yourselves a favour and buy this....

Lots more pix here.   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Could use a better stand...  and rollerised???
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:46 pm

GUZ21 wrote:

Lots more pix here.   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Could use a better stand...  and rollerised???

not sure.. but I doubt if that spindly frame could take the power and the weight of the engine ... but the style and the look IMO is great
"Guzzi should have built this "..with a GRiSO type frame as a sister ...love the wheels ....

Last edited by keenerkeen07 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:50 pm

bioman wrote:
The other day I saw a parked Ducati GT1000.  I thought it was a VERY pretty bike.  And I am sure they are also VERY nice to ride!

I have ridden one ...IMO they are very nice bike to ride although the suspension needs an upgrade , the twin spark 1000 engine is the best Ducati engine lots of midrange and pretty reliable ..
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:08 pm

GUZ21 wrote:

Sleep

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
g®eg
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
g®eg

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:47 pm

I have two bikes.. pretty much always have (or 3 or...)
when people ask why I tell them "well you can't play golf w/ just one club now can you?"
usually leaves 'em guessing...

oh and those T-3 Thunderbirds are lovely! that 885cc lump will run forever (same lump in my 96 Sprint) ... "ham sandwich...." pfft

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:34 pm

g®eg wrote:
I have two bikes.. pretty much always have (or 3 or...)
when people ask why I tell them "well you can't play golf w/ just one club now can you?"
usually leaves 'em guessing...

oh and those T-3 Thunderbirds are lovely! that 885cc lump will run forever (same lump in my 96 Sprint) ... "ham sandwich...." pfft

Very Happy

the T-3 are pretty good until the infamous starter/Sprague goes ..and it will.. then its a complete teardown to get to it ...$$$$$
poor design by Triumph I would say ..so far I know of two, a Speed Triple and a T3 and it is a common failure..and the owners were not happy .
Later models moved the starter and Sprague clutch to the outside of the engine with a redesign and had way less issues .
Back to top Go down
g®eg
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
g®eg

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:55 pm

The cause of sprag failure is most likely due to low battery starts.
but that's a diff story.. no issues for me (touch wood) on my '96

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:58 pm

Any old Hinckley Triumph still running would have had the sprag clutch done by now.
Back to top Go down
g®eg
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
g®eg

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Papa Lazarou wrote:
Any old Hinckley Triumph still running would have had the sprag clutch done by now.

or not... since she's 10 years old, and well "mine" <- can't do math... she's 20

LOL

maybe it's cause I keep my battery topped up? or maybe I am just lucky

hope you haven't jinxed me

Wink

Last edited by g®eg on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:24 am

10 years old on a Hinckley Triumph is not old....
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:32 am

Nor is ten years on a GRiSO. Only just run in.
Back to top Go down
g®eg
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
g®eg

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:19 pm

Papa Lazarou wrote:
10 years old on a Hinckley Triumph is not old....

you're right.. I can't do math, she's 20

(1996)

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Midlifecrisis
Carlotto
Carlotto
Midlifecrisis

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Ooh where to start? Well I guess my second bike is an 07 Triumph Rocket 3 (with rear sets and straightish bars because I couldn't get my head (feet) around the cruiser thing). Great bike if you are in a badass mood. British cool!

Apart from that, I've gone off on a serious tangent buying bikes I lusted after as a teenager (-1980's; 7 of them at the last count!) Admittedly not all of them are in roadworthy condition at any one time! They ALL have their own character though and ride completely differently! I particularly like riding the GRiSO back to back with a 1978 Le Mans I bought - they even sound similar now I've ditched the std GRiSO can, though the Le Mans has more of a café racer stance and is much smaller. GRiSO's great great grandaddy!
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:15 am

I know that this is sacrilege on this forum but I like this retro (gulp!!) Japanese (aarrch!!) bike with 4 (gasp!!!) cylinders:

2017 Honda CB1100 RS

It has little character, but will do its job without complaint and it looks how a decent motorcycle should look.

Back to top Go down
remgitano
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
remgitano

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:12 am

My '09 GRiSO is "happily sharing" the garage with an '03 BMW K1200 RS. So far no noise or squabbles but Lord knows what happens out there once the door is closed! I found the K1200 RS locally, low mileage (23K) at a reasonable price. The previous owner did a lot of reasonable farkeling and it had a full service history.
Why did I buy it? I'm single so I did not have to beg. Second, the GRiSO is my "roadster" for commuting and general weekend fun rides while the K1200 will suit commuting and long distance touring which I have done a bit of. I had bid on a Norge recently on e-Bay but having ridden one, found the used K1200RS to be superior. Sadly, the Norge has very poor resale value at least here in Colorado.
Having had a Falco, I can say that is one fine machine!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Second bike but why   Second bike but why - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Second bike but why
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next