GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me

Go down 
+20
Bulldog9
Oz1200Guzzi
davem
cognosticator
DeepSpace
MrGPz
GHTE
motor-timothy
EricS
sideshowbob
beetle
kiwi dave
PunkScout
dennis the menace
2highlander
LBC Tenni
H-E-ROSS
Brent S
NorthernProducer
sidrat
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Empty
PostSubject: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:30 am

Filled up over the weekend and went for a blast, normally average 40mpg, but for one tankful only got 30mpg (that's imperial gallons)

I was so concerned i genuinely thought i must have a leak. Anyway filled up again and will ride it to work this week and see if it returns to normal.
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:37 am

Assuming you weren't riding at full throttle for that tank full...is it possible you had "bad" fuel on that fill-up? Not sure if you get to ENJOY seasonal blended fuel in the UK, but that can result in reduced mileage. Try changing to another branded fuel on your next fueling and let us know how that works out.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:05 am

that is a good point, i had not considered the fuel itself, i filled up at a garage i have never used before. I am going to run another tankful through it this weekend so i shall see.

Never had to worry i might run out with less than 100 miles showing since i had an S4rs Monster
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:44 pm

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I'm only getting around 30mpg equivalent around the suburbs on my GRiSO. Improves to around 37-40mpg on the highway. I've had the lambda disabled and had the idle mixture trimmer adjusted to make it richer across the range, as I had bad problems with surging, backfiring and popping with my Termignoni exhaust. Throttle bodies have been balanced by somebody I trust.

I realise the more permanent fix is to get a customised fuel map, but I haven't got around to doing that yet. I get around 200kms (125 miles) from a full tank until the fuel warning light comes on.
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:07 pm

I get around 135 miles before the low fuel light with a mix of highway (high speed) and doping around town. I have a Termi and I am running a Beetle Map designed for it. Brent, just do it! You won't regret it.
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:06 pm

+1 for the Beetlemap. I've got a Zard. Runs like a top and I average 40+ mpg even with our piss ethanol fuel. Biggest bang for your buck change you can make.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:51 pm

I too have a beetle Map, that is currently residing on my PC until the weather got warmer, maybe now is the time to re-install, but i went most of last year without this mileage, maybe i am bucking the trend and getting faster in my old age!!
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:13 am

Normal service has been resumed, two tankfulls over the weekend and back to normal, i can only assume that it was a bad tank of fuel as NorthernProducer pointed out.

It was however 25 degrees on Sunday and i was riding 100 miles at the speed limit!
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:52 am

Fuel consumption of my GRiSO extremely depends on outside temperature. Below 10 C it partially swallows more than 1 Liter as usual which normally is 5,7 / 100 km.

Last edited by 2highlander on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 am

2highlander wrote:
Fuel consumption of my GRiSO extremely depends on outside temperature. Below 10 C it partially swallows more than 1 liter more than usual which normally is 5,7 / 100 km.

Wow that works out at 50mpg, i have never got anywhere near that! i normally average 7.1 l /100km, which after a tankful at 9.5 l /100km!
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:27 am

Uh, in fact thats a lot and I surely don't head forward in sleep mode.
Back to top Go down
dennis the menace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
dennis the menace

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:56 pm

i had problems with shitty fuel got that sorted and rebooted the ecu and while it was relearning saw 4.3l/100kms it fluctuated a bit even saw 7.1l/100kms seems to have settled down to 5.4l/100 been fairly constant smooth running no surging or rough running i'm happy i'm using 98 octane premium fuel. cheers
Back to top Go down
PunkScout
Carlotto
Carlotto
PunkScout

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 am

Mine does about 25 MPG around town as well. Stock everything. 93 Octane 10% Ethanol fuel (Fuck you, Texas gasoline). Highway mileage is more like 40-42 but around town it is a thirsty girl.

I've actually been looking into if there was anything I can do to improve that. People keep talking about Beetle maps- I'm assuming Beetle is the guy Beetle, yeah? Are the ECUs on a GRiSO remapped-able or do you have to run some sort of replacement or piggy-back ECU to remap?
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:02 am

I ran out of fuel yesterday, on the way to the gas station. Tank took 16.65 liters according to the pump, 280 km of spirited riding. Works out at 5.95 l/100km, dashboard was showing average of 4.2 l/100km. I know now to ignore that!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:14 am

PunkScout wrote:

I've actually been looking into if there was anything I can do to improve that.  People keep talking about Beetle maps- I'm assuming Beetle is the guy Beetle, yeah?  Are the ECUs on a GRiSO remapped-able or do you have to run some sort of replacement or piggy-back ECU to remap?  

I am that Beetle guy. The 5AM ECU is easily remapped. No evil piggy back black boxes required.

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Is it because your fuel is so expensive that you all check it? Have never checked mileage on a bike. When it needs fuel I stop and fill it up.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Cold weather has me about 10% lower mileage, probably because I changed the trim from -3 to 0 for better fueling. Still seeing 30's on the commute and 40's on the highway. I also put ethanol treatment in at every fill-up and that seems to help both economy and running.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:26 am

sideshowbob wrote:
Is it because your fuel is so expensive that you all check it? Have never checked mileage on a bike. When it needs fuel I stop and fill it up.

Yes is the answer to that!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Mine does about 250km before the reserve light goes on. Since refueling costs just about 30€, that's almost 1€ per 8km. Not sure how that compares to other countries but I'm sure its on the expensive side.
Back to top Go down
PunkScout
Carlotto
Carlotto
PunkScout

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:48 pm

sideshowbob wrote:

Funny you say that- I've never owned a bike that got mileage low enough for me to notice. I remember vividly my first day on the GRiSO, I was running around town , staying off the highways and riding it spirited (but not too spirited) to vary RPMs and whatnot and my damn fuel light came on at 85 miles on the odometer. Took on a full tank of gas. I was shocked and had a "Oh god, Oh god, what have I done?!" moment. Turns out on the highways it's not so bad, but around town, yeah ... the only reason I noticed is because it was so dramatically low compared to what I was accustomed to.
Back to top Go down
dennis the menace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
dennis the menace

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:23 pm

motor-timothy wrote:
Mine does about 250km before the reserve light goes on. Since refueling costs just about 30€, that's almost 1€ per 8km. Not sure how that compares to other countries but I'm sure its on the expensive side.
here in cairns australia fuel cost $20 to fill about 13 euros 30 euros is a lot
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:29 pm

Didn't realize it was that bad. About $10 US to fill up here. Surprisingly we have non alcohol laced fuel available, but 91 is the highest we can get.
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Pre Beetle map I was getting 5.5 kms/100kms now I an 4.8/4.9. To me that is amazing for an 1100, esp considering I am circa 230 pounds and have a heavy right wrist. My previous GRiSO 850 went from 5.5 to 4.7 with the Bettle map.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:14 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
I ran out of fuel yesterday, on the way to the gas station.  Tank took 16.65 liters according to the pump, 280 km of spirited riding.  Works out at 5.95 l/100km, dashboard was showing average of 4.2 l/100km.  I know now to ignore that!

My theory is that the fuel calculator can't keep up with spirited riding.
Gisborne to Opotiki "spirited riding" = 5.1 L/100
Opotiki to Tauranga "Main highway - steady 105kph" = 5.9 L/100
After refuelling the 5.9 was fairly accurate, 5.1 not so much.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:47 am

MrGPz wrote:
My theory is that the fuel calculator can't keep up with spirited riding.

Gotta agree with you, there is no other explanation I can come with.  Those with power commanders installed (I have them on other bikes) are particularly vulnerable, as the Dash/ECU has not idea what the power commander is contributing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next