GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me

Go down 
+20
Bulldog9
Oz1200Guzzi
davem
cognosticator
DeepSpace
MrGPz
GHTE
motor-timothy
EricS
sideshowbob
beetle
kiwi dave
PunkScout
dennis the menace
2highlander
LBC Tenni
H-E-ROSS
Brent S
NorthernProducer
sidrat
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:53 am

Hey all,

I took the GRiSO out now twice and i noticed it is a little thirsty. Been doing 8 liter per 100km. Seems a bit much right? Any ideas? Been putting 98oct in it.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:09 am

I am getting about 7 liters per 100km after a Beetle map and GPR slipon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:40 am

and i get at least 7 but sometimes as low as 6.3
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:00 am

You have to remember depending on the air temperature and pressure the ecu will compensate for denser colder air. With the standard map this could lead to as much as 15% extra fuel being used.
I don't know how much the Beetle maps have changed the original factory settings but in my case I have reduced the extra fuel compensation to give better fuel economy.
Also in the past carbs with a manual choke restricted the air flow for a richer warm up mixture, with fuel injection extra fuel is added for warm up.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:40 pm

8 is too high. Even 7 is too high. I get 6 with the 1400.

Are we talking cruise, or fun?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Gees, even on my old wheezy and oil burning 2V, I get 4.5/4.6 without trying. Sometimes I can get better but if I give it the berries up a hill/mountain, I might reach the heady heights of 5!

Sumpen is RONG, DeepSpace.
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:59 pm

I get 4.8 on my 1100 down from 5.8/6.0 after Beetles mapping- whahoo.
Better roll on acceleration too!!
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:09 pm

I average 41 MPG's by the computer and have no wish to be shaken into reality..... Of course I only get about 100 miles until the light comes on, but the smiles are worth it. Ask me how I discovered the fuel gauge was bad on my Norge................... lol
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:35 pm

Well, I can't say what the difference is between Eric's NJ fuel and the California crap we get here in Las Vegas, let alone any riding differences and the fact I probably weigh more than him, but I'm getting about 32 mpg (US) in the city and about 38 mpg on the highway.

The bike has a Beetle map and I haven't changed from whatever Eric did to modify the CO offset yet, but I'm no hooligan (well, maybe a little - it is a GRiSO!). It's a bit lower than I'd expect. We shall see.

The reserve light comes on quite reliably at 120 miles of city driving, and at about 140 of highway running.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:54 am

my spark plug equipped air compressor 2V also wheezes along at 70mph returning 4.9 or 5 to the hundred on a 'non factory map setting', which is, my goodness, about 469km to the tank...

Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:05 am

beetle wrote:

I cruise at 70 mph / 113 kph and above even on back roads where the limit is 55 mph, interstate can get as high as 75 and above.

I have never seen the low fuel light and the farthest I have gone is 130 miles before fill up and took 3.7 gallons

I have yet to get her in the fun part of Georgia but I am heding to Arkansas next week for a few days of twisties
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 am

Before bragging/moaning about fuel consumption a bit of extra detail is required.

What was the distance traveled to gain the measurement.
What type of traffic conditions were experienced.
What was the air temperature and pressure.
What was the average speed.
Was the bike ridden solo or with pillion.

I could go on but you get the gist. Unless the bike has a fault or is badly maintained it is like pinning the tail on the donkey game.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:43 am

davem wrote:
Before bragging/moaning about fuel consumption a bit of extra detail is required.

I could go on but you get the gist. Unless the bike has a fault or is badly maintained it is like pinning the tail on the donkey game.

What was the distance traveled to gain the measurement. 360 miles round trip
What type of traffic conditions were experienced. Mostly two lane back roads about 15 miles of in town slower traffic, maybe 70 miles of interstate at 75+ mph
What was the air temperature and pressure. Low to Mid 70° F
What was the average speed. I am not sure of the average but run 70 mph in the country and obey the speed limits when going through towns of 45 to 35 mph
Was the bike ridden solo or with pillion. For me always solo
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:06 am

davem wrote:

What was the distance traveled to gain the measurement.
What type of traffic conditions were experienced.
What was the air temperature and pressure.
What was the average speed.
Was the bike ridden solo or with pillion.

Dave

I do a quick calc every time i fille up. I always fill to the top of the tank and compare it with the mileage shown. Ride Spring Summer and Autumn, dont venture out much in winter. The best i have ever seen is 50mpg 5.65 l/100km, but i average about 43mpg 6.57 l/100km and apart from time i had rubbish fuel it rarely drops much below 7 l/100km. The shortest trip i do is to work, which is 16 miles 25km. Beetles map has made a 10% improvement on fuel economy when i ride it like Miss Daisy but not quite as much when i give it the berries. I ride quite fast but have a lot of mechical symphathy so dont tend to thrash it.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:18 am

What was the distance traveled to gain the measurement. daily 150km. fuel every second day at same gas station (@300km), to the same level give or take a few mls.
What type of traffic conditions were experienced. freeway, but here in Qld, you can zoom down the breakdown lane if the traffic banks up Smile
What was the air temperature and pressure. today was 19c in the morning and 26c on the way home, pressure about 1020 hPa and 75% humidity...
What was the average speed. 70mph +/-
Was the bike ridden solo or with pillion. pillion??
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:45 am

Now we are getting somewhere.

My 2V ditch pump  averages 44mpg (imperial) at the moment.
Solo riding, 11C/1000mb, average speed 70mph on the open road with light traffic.
If the temperature is below 10C and the journey is short (less than 10 miles) sub 40mpg is the norm.

At the moment I am running a map with no extra fuel added, in fact I have removed fuel between 5-6000 rpm, this is all good on a AFR meter. The bike is in constant open loop mode (no lambda) and a Termi exhaust with cat and baffle intact. Plus the airbox snorkel is removed, just to add another layer to the equation.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:15 am

no snorkel here, in fact, a modified air box top to allow full OEM filter opening... exhaling through a custom two into two set of pipes with dB killers in, and an extensively tested and modified map that has been manipulated by the wisest of wizards over a lengthy period that returns 55+mpg, is super smooth, has good engine braking, great acceleration, and the odd satisfying crackle and pop every now and then!!
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:42 am

beetle wrote:

Well, maybe a little bit of both Razz

Both times i fueled up after 150km. It was a mix of highway, villages and the 80kmh roads.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:12 pm

beetle wrote:

Come on Mark, you need to ride it faster, or have you made a green monster that is simply too scary to ride fast Razz
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:30 pm

That's on cruise. Usually sitting on 120-130km/h, 6th gear. Slowing down, of course through several towns at 80/60/50 as required. The odd small stretch at 90-110 until I overtake the knob slowing me down. Fuel light came on at 213km, and I put 13.44 litres in at 223.

If I go up to the hills to exercise the right hand, it can plummet to 7.5. That's in 3rd/4th/5th gear. And fast.

Of course, 98 Octane (US 93) non-corn infected fuel is used. If your fuel is crap, you're on your own.....

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:24 pm

In four fill-ups, I am definitely seeing the effect of temperature to fuel consumption.

First ride - temps in the mid 30s; pace 50-65 mph.  30.9mpg
Second and third ride - temps in the mid 50s; pace 50-65 mph.  Average 45.6 mpg
Fourth ride - temps in the mid to high 40s with some time on the interstate at 75 mph.  Most of the time pace was 50-65 mph.    37.6 mpg

These are calculated values based on filling the tank to the top each time I stopped for fuel.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:51 am

On my current trip to Italy, since leaving home (20 minutes of city traffic) then 5 hours of highway riding going between 100km/h and 140km/h, using euro95 (super) fuel, the dash indicates an average fuel consumption for the trip of 5.3/100km
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:42 am

My measured consumption (filled horizonal to brim at start; same at final final up at end) on 530 miles round trip to Brecon & back on mainly A roads is similar at approx 48 mp-uk-g (5.9l/100km). Consumption on mine only really drops based on lots of short trips and around town....
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:47 am

Well, i'll be doing a 2000km trip this week. Guess i'll have a better picture of what it really does but 5 or 6 liter per 100km would be nice indeed Smile
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:42 am

Aaaaaaand done. 1991km to be exact. So before i started it put a bottle of Forte Moto Power 1 in the tank to make sure it gets a clean. It had only done 15000km orso when i got it, so my guess is that it had been standing still a lot. It may have done the trick cause the miles went up by miles Razz

So highways doing 130orsokmh gave me 5.6l/100km (1l on 17.5km) and racing around the mountains in the German Black Forest gave me a nice 6.5l/100km (1l on 15km). Found out that the fuel light usually comes on at around 190km (while playing) so i can do 200 easy and then i really need to start looking.

I do have the feeling she's running a bit rich. The guys behind me could smell her while i was coming on and going of the throttle. I did like to rev it fast from 4000 to 7000rpm orso Razz Is this normal?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me   Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Worst Fuel Mileage ever....for me
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next