GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt

Go down 
+5
Street
Bill Hagan
guzziownr
Pete Roper
Guzzi Cat
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Wed May 17, 2017 2:39 pm

I just noticed that the front left side engine mounting allen head bolt has sheared (M12 x 50mm) on my Stelvio. Evil or Very Mad  Has anyone encountered this on the GRiSO or Stelvio before?

I was having a look around when the bike was on the lift for a tyre change and spotted that the bolt was missing, It is sheared off flush with the engine block and I don't know how long it has been like this as I never noticed it before!

I am hoping that I can drill it out in place (through the frame where the bolt is missing) and re-tap it to take a new bolt. If any one has done this before I would be interested in hearing how it worked out? Does the bolt go right through the casting of the alternator belt housing or is the bolt threaded into a blind hole in the casting?

It may be prudent for members here to do a visual on their own bikes to make sure that no engine mounting bolts are missing (broken) Exclamation

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Wed May 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Yeah, Wyno's GRiSO had the same problem. We just swapped out the timing chest cover during the rebuild and will fix the busted bolt when we get round to it.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Thu May 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Hey Cat, it goes straight through.  I stripped mine and had to pull off the engine cover and put in a TimeSert.  I bought a used cover from a Norge to use as a practice piece.  Very similar but not identical to the GRiSO. Timesert was easy, even for a novice. I bolted it to a drill press to keep it straight.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: A Ball Breaker but its done   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Sat May 20, 2017 1:43 pm

A right bollox of a job but turned out good in the end, I will give a few details that may be of help to some other poor misfortunate Laughing

Well I assembled all the bits that I figured may make the job a bit easier, I got a buddy of mine that has a lathe to turn down 3 guide bushings 12mm OD, each with a centered hole to guide my drill bits, 5mm, 8mm and 10mm. I even got left hand drill bits in the hope that it might spin out (NOT A CHANCE) and a couple of 12 x 1.75mm taps if I couldn't get the broken bolt out.

The plan was to try and line the frame mounting bushing and the timing chest as centered as possible and then drill a hole with the smallest of the left hand bits (kept centered with the guide bushing) and then to hammer in a spline drive and try and twist out the bolt (No JOY) Sad

I then moved up to the 8mm left hand bit and hammered in a spline drive, it really got a good grip and I tried to turn it with a socket (NO JOY) and then an air impact gun for about half an hour (NO JOY) Sad  and then I went Nuclear and tried a 3 ft breaker bar (thinking that the splines would just round out the hole)" WRONG AGAIN". Crack and there goes the the top of the spline drive and it is now buried in the hole Evil or Very Mad (I used spline drives because I didn't want to risk breaking an Easy Out)

I thought I was screwed and was trying to find a small long Dremel grinding tool long enough to grind out the broken spline. Idea  But thankfully I calmed down and studied all the options and realized that I should be able to drive it out from the inside of the timing chest (thanks Guzziownr for the picture of your timing chest) so I took of the cover and punched it out cheers

At this stage I realized that that bolt wasn't going to move so I drilled and tapped it (taking great care not to break the tap)

It worked out great in the end and I stuck in a new bolt temporarily until the new one arrives from TLM. cheers  cheers  I know that I could have took of the timing chest but tried to avoid it if I could and was afraid that the other mounting bolt would shear off as well Exclamation

Check your mounting bolts because I have no idea how long that has been sheared study
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Sat May 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Impressive.

I am torn between being awestruck at what you did ... and annoyed that I couldn't have done that with all the tools provided in an a/c shop, a detailed video ... AND Pete Roper on call. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, nice work ... and, yes, I'm going to check minre.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Sat May 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Nice work. I still think I would of pulled the timing chest but it proves that it can be done. Well done. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Mon May 16, 2022 9:25 pm

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Tue May 17, 2022 9:02 am

That was a very entertaining video! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Tue May 17, 2022 10:53 am

prevention being better than cure, are the guzzi bolts under-specced or something? worth pre-emptively replacing? for the price of a bolt, could save a lot of hassle
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Tue May 17, 2022 4:18 pm

My vote is Titanium!
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Thu May 19, 2022 2:19 am

Crash bars come with replacement bolts, thats if you can live with the look of them.
They are intended to take a crash and survive at least that the idea I imagine.
You insert big spacers in the frame first.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Thu May 19, 2022 3:28 am

I reckon you'll still loose the timing chest or crankcase casting in the event of any crash.

Let's face it, if you wreck a GRiSO nowadays and it's anything more than superficial damage the insurance company will write it off rather than repair it. It's that fear that made me buy a 'Spare'.
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1Thu May 19, 2022 11:14 am

so if the bolts aren't under-specced, what is it? Just poor design?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt   Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Sheared Engine Mounting Bolt
Page 1 of 1