GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Getting ready for the tear down!

Go down 
+2
sidrat
GuZeee
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

Getting ready for the tear down! Empty
PostSubject: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:11 pm

I’m getting my GRiSO ready for her surgery that starts on Saturday morning in my garage.

These are the things I hope to accomplish:

• Fix oil leak from rear main flange
  • Replace alternator and belt
  • Grease swingarm bearings
  • Get frame stripped and powder-coated

Here it is, ready for the operation:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:14 am

That looks ready to work on, enjoy the experience :-)
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:37 am

Looks all ready for surgery - laughing gas or whiskey as anaesthetic ?
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:37 am

Don't rush, take lots of pictures and diligently organize/bag/tag things as they come off. Freezer bags work great as they have a label area so the writing won't wipe off (learned that the hard way). Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:51 am

Replace alternator? Really?
I had the oil flange leak on my 09 and it was fixed under warranty, thanks for that.
The culprit was bolts being too long and not compressing the O ring properly...make sure you replace those bolts with correct ones.

Have to put down my 1100 for swing arm bearing grease job soon too...
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks all for the tips and encouragement!

Yeah funny story about the alternator: I was all ready to do this job, and decided to take it for one last ride before it came apart. She was running so strong and smooth, it was a blast. I stopped for coffee and when I tried to start it afterwards, I got nothing when I hit the starter. (See other topic “Short Circuit!”). So the timing is perfect: I can change the alternator at the same time. Just waiting for the part from AF1 Racing.

For the oil flange leak, I plan to use the shorter bolts and follow the instructions laid out by Pete in another thread. I have a plan for doing this in my mind, I will soon see how it works out in the real world Smile

I just bought this bike a few months ago, have since done the tappet rollerization, new map, new exhaust, balance TB, remove charcoal canister, and now this. As soon as I got all the other work done I saw the oil leak and learned of the dreaded flange leak issue. The good news is I’m enjoying it! I love working on it almost as much as riding it. And when it’s working properly it’s a joy. So I’m taking the opportunity to powder-coat the frame gloss black and make the bike perfect and unique.

I will post many pictures — and probably questions — as the work proceeds! Couldn’t do it without all of you here helping out.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:10 pm

Read up on prep for powder coating. Need to be careful on how you cover up attachment points and threads so things go back on correctly. Do it wrong and you may be filing and re-tapping threads.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:27 pm

I’ll make sure the shop knows how to do that properly!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Before replacing the alternator try one of these.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:14 pm

OK I took it all apart! Engine ready for rear main flange oil leak repair, frame ready for powder coating. I sure hope I can figure out how to get it all back together again!

Here are some pics

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:28 pm

Good work, especially for a first timer. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks Pete! That means a lot coming from you. I hope you will be able to say the same thing after I put it back together again Smile
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:50 am

Good luck! Hope you took a lot of pictures during disassembly. If you haven't already done so, now's a good time to organize and catalog all the parts piles while it's still fresh in your head. You may also want to add some stabilizer if you didn't empty the fuel tank.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:26 am

EricS wrote:
Good luck! Hope you took a lot of pictures during disassembly. If you haven't already done so, now's a good time to organize and catalog all the parts piles while it's still fresh in your head. You may also want to add some stabilizer if you didn't empty the fuel tank.

Yes I took lots of pictures, and I have all the parts and related fasteners in separate labeled ziploc bags. The only thing I wish I had done that I didn’t is to label all of the electrical connectors. Fortunately they seem to be all different so should only fit in the correct counterpart.

Why add stabilizer to the fuel?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 pm

GuZeee wrote:

Depending how long the job is gonna take, fuel gets bad rather quickly these days...I wouldn't trust its efficiency past 6 months.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Grisonut wrote:
GuZeee wrote:

Depending how long the job is gonna take, fuel gets bad rather quickly these days...I wouldn't trust its efficiency past 6 months.

Ah, I plan to put it back together during the Christmas Holidays so if all goes well I won't need it. On the other hand, I may end up draining the tank because I'm thinking of getting it repainted.

Thanks for the tip though, I didn't know about that!
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:06 pm

So I took off the gearbox and clutch and pulled the rear main seal flange to fix the oil leak. I'm a little concerned that I didn't see much oil in there -- if that's not the source of the leak then I still haven't fixed the problem.

Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Engine and gearbox are back together. Hopefully that takes care of the oil leak! Next I need to replace the alternator when the new one arrives, then get the frame powder coated and put everything back together again.

I feel like I just brought home one of those 50,000 piece puzzles and just got done taking it all apart. It’s the putting it back together that’s the hard part!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:00 pm

You didn't use a gasket when you installed the new flange did you?
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Nope! I did it just like you said: nothing but a thin smear of three bond 1211. (After cleaning off all the old gasket material of course)

Also used 20mm bolts instead of the original 25s, and filed down the oil dowel by about a mm.

I hope this does the trick!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:33 am

Grisonut wrote:
GuZeee wrote:

In NJ I've had my power tools gum up in as little as 60 days. Rumors swirl if we're getting the advertised 10% ethanol or if it's actually closer to 15%. Regardless, I don't trust it much past a month or so...
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:05 pm

I took the frame to the powder-coat shop and they said the bearing races need to be removed first. Not having a tool to do this, I "manufactured" a little bit of steel to fit on the inside edge of the races so I could wack it from the other side. (I just bought a grinder recently so was happy to have something to grind!)

It worked! Here is the bit of steel I crudely hacked for the job (some blue paper tape is on it to allow for markings).

Now I need to figure out how to do the swingarm races -- any ideas?

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:10 pm

EricS wrote:
Grisonut wrote:
GuZeee wrote:

In NJ I've had my power tools gum up in as little as 60 days. Rumors swirl if we're getting the advertised 10% ethanol or if it's actually closer to 15%. Regardless, I don't trust it much past a month or so...

Woaw! Worse than I thought then...
Not many ethanol free gas station in Orlando and none of them are 93 octane that I've seen. If no ethanol, it's 87 or 89 so I rather stay with the regular 93.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:16 pm

GuZeee wrote:

Now I need to figure out how to do the swingarm races -- any ideas?

Long, thin punch with a hooked lip on the end from the inside of the frame. Michael has become the master of this. He can whack them out in about ten seconds, literally!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Getting ready for the tear down!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next