GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Getting ready for the tear down!

Go down 
+2
sidrat
GuZeee
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
GuZeee wrote:

Now I need to figure out how to do the swingarm races -- any ideas?

Long, thin punch with a hooked lip on the end from the inside of the frame. Michael has become the master of this. He can whack them out in about ten seconds, literally!

Pete

Ooh, thanks, I’ll see if I can find a tool like that. There seems to be a slot between the race and seal where you could wedge it in. I hope the seal pops out easily after the race comes out.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm

No luck getting them out. There is also a rubber seal in there that I can’t figure out how to remove without damaging it. Maybe I should just get it painted instead of powder coated, then it can simply be masked off.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:04 pm

The seal is just that, a seal, they cost pennies, pry them out and replace them. Just make sure the new ones are secure on their registers.

With the bearing races you can cut a slot in them to loosen them up if you're having trouble but really it's just a knack of getting the punch ground to fit the slot in the register the race sits on and using a sodding great hammer!

Pete
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:02 am

Pete Roper wrote:
The seal is just that, a seal, they cost pennies, pry them out and replace them. Just make sure the new ones are secure on their registers.

With the bearing races you can cut a slot in them to loosen them up if you're having trouble but really it's just a knack of getting the punch ground to fit the slot in the register the race sits on and using a sodding great hammer!

Pete

Once again your advice is “bang on” (literally in this case). I managed to get a curved punch in there and whacked it hard with a great sodding hammer and got them out! Also pulled the seals, I can order them from AF1 for &4 each. I’ll replace all the bearings/races while I am at it (the swingarm ones do look a bit worn)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:23 am

Latest update: bare frame has been sent to the powder coaters. New alternator and belt installed. Miscellaneous bolts and gaskets ordered, as well as new bearings for steering head and swingarm. Frame should be done in a week or so, not much to do until then except clean all the parts.

Anything else I should be thinking about replacing while I’ve got it all apart?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:37 am

Build a 1400 engine like Beetles :-)
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 am

That would be awesome! Just by boring out the cylinders, or is there a new crankshaft involved to increase the stroke?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:57 am

Can't say, but you did say you had a week or spare until the frame is painted!!!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 am

GuZeee wrote:
That would be awesome! Just by boring out the cylinders, or is there a new crankshaft involved to increase the stroke?

Sorry, no, there is a lot more to it than that.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Not that I am seriously considering anything like that at this point, but I’d be curious to see the results of your big-bore GRiSO mod, Pete. Is there a link you can point to for the gory details?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Nope, sorry. If people want to know what's involved they'll have to buy one. If I explain everything our work will simply be copied and/or stolen. Not happening again.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Nope, sorry. If people want to know what's involved they'll have to buy one. If I explain everything our work will simply be copied and/or stolen. Not happening again.

Buy one what? I’m not trying to rip off anything, I was just curious, I know nothing about it. Usually people like discussing mods they’ve done on this forum so I thought you’d be happy to talk about it, but I don’t really mind either way. Totally off topic for this thread anyway.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:52 pm

Sorry, I'm not having a go at you. The 1400 project we've undertaken is far more than a simple 'Big Bore' job. A lot of work and time has gone into it as well as $$$.

Previously I've produced aftermarket stuff and been quite open about what I have done and what it achieves. The results, as I said, have been stolen and plagiarised. I'm not suggesting that you would but believe me, if I outlined what is required to turn a 1200 into a 1400 and the reasons why I took the approach I have other people would pick up on it and produce similar 'Kits' having done none of the homework and certainly not giving us any of the reward, that's all.

We will be being quite open about the results when it's tuned, if it turns out to be a disaster we'll be honest about that too, but I'm going to be tight lipped about how it was achieved. That's all.

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Similar experience here, after an $8K investment in developing my carbon fibre wheel set for a CARC, a retail outfit wanted me to supply them with all the CAD drawings ............. for free.

Drawings are for sale if anybody wants to go into production, ha ha! Or I can produce a set of hubs for you, for a hefty fee.

100 hours of just drawing & machining, plus materials, +++. Not to mention the previous months of researching, emails, ph calls, visitations, contemplating, theorising, more research etc.
Oh, and I was the crash test dummy jocolor

Give em HP & torque, video plus a price tag. Nothing more.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:25 pm

You know, my Moto Guzzi brings me so much joy, and therefore fills many hours of my leisure time. But it does have its quirks, and even the odd nasty surprise.

Just like this forum! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:14 am

Sorry? Is this implying that anyone not willing to just give their shit away is 'Nasty'?
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:24 am

Sorry, I was just kidding around. I thought it was a funny metaphor. We had some weird misunderstanding, I still don’t know exactly what happened there, but I just want to talk about bikes and be friendly! Pete, you are an important part of what makes this forum great, I love reading your stuff. Apologies if my poor sense of humor missed its mark. Someone mentioned a 1400 upgrade and I asked some naive questions but obviously unknowingly waded into a loaded topic. I don’t really care about it, I just want to put my bike back together and have fun on the forum.

When I begin the reassembly I’ll make a new topic for it, this thread has taken an odd turn. It’s probably my fault, sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:29 am

No worries my friend, it's just a subject I'm a bit prickly about. No harm done. How's the rebuild going?

Pete
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 am

It’s going great, I haven’t broken anything important yet! Smile I’m just cleaning things up while waiting for the frame to get powder coated. The new alternator is on the engine and the clutch/gearbox is back on and I hope the oil leak has been taken care of. Also waiting for replacement bearings and miscellaneous parts. I hope to be able to start the reassembly in a week or so, but will probably do the bulk of it during the Christmas holiday week Dec 18-Jan 1.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:41 pm

I’ll cover the reassembly process in this topic: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for the tear down!   Getting ready for the tear down! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Getting ready for the tear down!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2