GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

I'm gonna need new tires.

Go down 
+11
EricS
sidrat
Grisonut
cognosticator
paulbrice
wardentm
anguscameron1966
Papa Lazarou
Oz1200Guzzi
Street
BB43215
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

I'm gonna need new tires. Empty
PostSubject: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:11 pm

I'm new to Grisos and need some advice. I just bought an '07 with only a few miles on it (13 miles to be precise) and it's sat in a warehouse for the last decade. The original tires look brand new but I have to assume that 10+ years in storage has dried them out so I'm looking for suggestions. I like to ride "enthusiastically" but I wouldn't call my riding style — super aggressive. And I'd like to get a decent amount of miles out of the tires if possible but grip and comfort is more important to me than longevity. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
https://columbuscraftcocktailtour.com
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:51 pm

BB,

Do a SEARCH in the menu bar up top - there's been a ton of discussion on this topic and I'm sure you will find more information and more opinions than you know what to do with. By the time the ice clears in Columbus you'll have some new shoes for your GRiSO!

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Michelin Pilot Road 4/5 GT - say no more.
Back to top Go down
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Hmmm. I looked but I guess not hard enough. Let’s write it off to new and still trying to find my way around the ghetto. Thanks.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 am

Most people seem to favour the Road Pilots. I've got Bridgestones on mine and they seem fine. The OEM tyres are shite on the GRiSO (but fine on other bikes), BTW.
Back to top Go down
anguscameron1966
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
anguscameron1966

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:42 am

Love the Roadtec 01's especially in the wet, Angels were great too but wore out in half the time.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 am

G'day BB
Welcome ......
Just wondering, how could a new GRiSO just sit in a warehouse for 10 years , I struggle to get my head around this ... how could someone fork out good dollars to buy it off MG and just leave it ....
Did the seller explain .... would like to know the story ....
stay safe
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 am

Searching forum doesn't find much if you take the default which just looks at the topic headings ......you need to go advanced search for content and you'll get much better hit rate OR search at google level eg GRiSO ghetto tyre as that finds all posts containing word tyres

PS Michelin PR 4/5 GTs for me too......
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:56 am

I just mounted a set of Pirelli Angel ST's on my 2013 that I bought Dec 21st with 9,150 miles on it. So far I have been able to get 140 miles on it. Rolling Eyes The weather has been horrible in Savannah GA
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 am

wardentm wrote:
G'day BB
Welcome ......
Just wondering, how could a new GRiSO just sit in a warehouse for 10 years , I struggle to get my head around this ... how could someone fork out good dollars to buy it off MG and just leave it ....
Did the seller explain .... would like to know the story ....
stay safe

I'd love to know the whole story too. It was part of the Larry Klein estate auction a couple of months ago in Ann Arbor. There are a few threads out there talking about that auction and Larry Klein. There were several great bikes with barely any miles on them. Four V11's all with very low miles, Brevas, a Centauro, and several older bikes too. The GRiSO was perfectly in tact (several of the others had been pilfered for parts). But I'm honestly not too sure why, if he had them and planned to hold onto the bikes, he didn't ride them — any of them, ever. It came without a title and so I'm working through the details and red tape of that but it also had old gas, oil, tires, etc. so I need to give it the once over before I ride it anyway. Blair
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks Blair
Guess if your loaded and a buyer your thrill is just the purchase, imagine that ......
But for me, how could you buy, get it home and just leave it there ...
Perhaps he was an investor ...... but these bikes would not, you would consider, be in this category ..
Anyway, enjoy your 1100, I have one with now some 67,000 ks on and a thrill every time I get it out
Stay safe
Back to top Go down
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:35 pm

wardentm wrote:
Thanks Blair
Guess if your loaded and a buyer your thrill is just the purchase, imagine that ......
But for me, how could you buy, get it home and just leave it there ...
Perhaps he was an investor ...... but these bikes would not, you would consider, be in this category ..
Anyway, enjoy your 1100, I have one with now some 67,000 ks on and a thrill every time I get it out
Stay safe

Thanks. will do. I put over 32,000 km on my V7 Racer in the first two years. Can't wait to start tearing it up on my GRiSO now.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:33 pm

I bought my 07 brand new in 2011 from my dealer at the time...It was basically a left over stock that they snatched away from the importer in NY.
Didn't plain to buy it but the wife went nuts when she saw it and didn't want to hear about a freaking Bonneville after that! lol
So I loaded it in the truck bed and took it home to keep company to the 09.
She put about 15K miles on it and I put another 15K and this thing has been absolutely flawless so far
The wife is no longer around but the bike is. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Here are a couple of tyre (tire) topics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Grisonut wrote:
I bought my 07 brand new in 2011 from my dealer at the time...It was basically a left over stock that they snatched away from the importer in NY.
Dah dee dah etc

Sounds like a story lurking around there
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:13 am

I too have been using pirelli's, the stickier front tyres dont suit the weight of the bike, the wear out in weird ways, so i have gone back to using Angels, where the profile stays the same until the end, vcertainly on the road they are more than sticky enough. The rear Diablo's last the same length of time as the Angels! Which means the rear Angels wear far too fast. I am tempted to try the Michelin's but i have in my 70 odd bikes and hundreds of thousands of riding miles had two sets and both were unridable and were replaced by Michelin with another manufaturers tyres. I guess i have been unlucky!!
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:07 pm

I went with Pirelli Scorpion IIs. Similar to the Angels but with thicker tread to deal with shitty NJ roads. I don't ride much past 7/10ths and they have plenty of stick for me.
Back to top Go down
george5421
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
george5421

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:51 am

Reviews:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks. I ended up with the Angle GTs for this time around. I’m going pretty easy on her for now since I’m still breaking it in. But 450 miles and already love how the GRiSO is handling. And the tires are great. Thanks

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:50 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Any experience with Dunlap road smart 3 tires?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Grisonut wrote:
Didn't plain to buy it but the wife went nuts when she saw it and didn't want to hear about a freaking Bonneville after that! lol
So I loaded it in the truck bed and took it home to keep company to the 09.

I also traded a bike for my wife, it was the best deal I ever made!
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:34 am

I am a tight git (cheap) and buy whatever ebay has at the right price, so get to try some weird and wonderful tyre combinations. At present I have a Maxxis Diamond MA-3DS on the front and a ContiRoad Attack 2GT on the rear. The tyres are always a well known brand and sport touring biased.

I ride on some of the worst medieval roads England has to offer and don't hang about and can honestly say for my type of riding any good make of tyre will do. I am impressed with the Maxxiss Diamond which at the cheaper end of the spectrum holds it's own against anything I've tried. Combined with a Stelvio shock the front end feels far better and the understeer which I felt the bike originally  suffered from when I bought it has disappeared.

My buying habits have saved hundreds of pounds over the last few years. I take the tyres to a local tyre fitter that charges £15 to fit whatever I bring him and are still quids in on the deal.
I never bother having the rear balanced and I do my own balancing on the front with a converted paddock stand.

All this bollocks about matching tyre pairs might apply for super bikes and track days but here in the real world common sense prevails.

Last edited by davem on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:23 am

Dave, you are a man after my own heart :-)

It must be we both live in Lincolnshire!!!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:30 am

I have Maxxis tyres on my Jimny. Now a Jimny isn’t a performance vehicle and they are horrid! They have a huge out of balance problem in the carcass. You just can’t balance them and they set the steering wheel dancing at 80kph on the over-run, especially going down hill. I’d hate to have a similar issue on a bike. We don’t get Maxxis bike tyres here though.

Some cheaper tyres are fine. I actually really like the Conti’s on the Stelvio and recently stuck a set of Sport Attacks on the GRiSO and they are BRILLIANT but they’ll not last more than 5 or 6 Km! If I’m lucky!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm gonna need new tires.   I'm gonna need new tires. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

I'm gonna need new tires.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next