GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES

Go down 
+5
Robinson_Spike
beetle
LBC Tenni
Oz1200Guzzi
gselvo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
gselvo
Carlotto
Carlotto
gselvo

FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Empty
PostSubject: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:31 am

While on the Golden State Highway 15 miles North of Castaic, California I had a flat.  That Highway is in fact basically not used because it has been replaced by a Freeway next door.  About a third to a half of it is painted off as not usable and the part that is left is at least as bad if not worse than the painted off part.

I just started off after a brief site-seeing stop and heard a weird noise and then noticed my rear end was wiggling around.  Only going a few mph.  Stopped and readily discovered the problem:  a full and complete 6 inch drill bit stuck entirely into the tire and hitting the inside of the rim, with only about an inch sticking out.  Fortunately a car came by with a pliers to pull it out.  My co-rider then drove into Castaic, got a bottle of sealant, some rubber worms and a hand pump.  Amazingly it worked.  Didn't use the hand pump but it looked like the sealant can filled it, sort of.  Drove back to Castaic and properly filled the tire (only had about 10-15 psi from the sealant bottle).  Drove home to LA keeping it at about 70 mph and all was good.  Attaching a picture of the drill bit.  Can anyone top this?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:34 am

No can't top it, and don't want to either. Good outcome in the end.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:35 am

My weirdest one was a piece of a broken saw blade. I started carrying a Dynaplug kit and a mini pump. The Dynaplug is the best easy fix I’ve found and I’ve never had one leak. They last the life of the tire. I use them on my car too.

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:46 am

I use Stop 'n Go and a 12 V compressor
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:51 am

Can't top that.

I carry a puncture kit whenever cabaling. Just packed it, in fact. It's got a wee pump.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Robinson_Spike
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Robinson_Spike

PostSubject: Re: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:22 pm

I don’t even go to the shop without a repair kit, fits nicely where the snorkel used to without blocking the air flow. I had an R clip in that made me think the gearbox had sh1t itself as it repeatedly struck the CARC at around 50mph.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
redhawk47
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
redhawk47

PostSubject: Re: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:36 am

My V7II was stumbling as I took off from a start, and when I shifted into second gear. I took a bit to figure out that the traction control was cutting power because the rear tire was low (I could not see the TC light because the GPS blocked the view). Tire pressure was about 10 psi. I examined the tire to find the culprit - none found. I pumped it up to pressure and sprayed it with soapy water and looked for bubbles - none found. Checked the pressure the next day - down maybe one psi. So I sprayed it with soapy water again, and looked very closely. Finally found the tiny bubbles and a pinpoint of silver. Demounted the tire and with pliers removed the culprit from the inside. It was part of a straight pin; how it got into my tire is a mystery. Because the tire was near end of life I decided to replace it.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:06 pm

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1Thu May 20, 2021 6:50 pm

I lost my puncture repair kit on my way to the recent Ruptured Budgie. A certain numb-nutted individual (myself) left it sitting on one of the saddle bags (I think). It's somewhere between Coonabarabran and Bingara. Anyhoo, I digress...

New kit arrived from Rocky Creek Designs. This one is a wee bit more fancy than my last one. My previous kit (from same peeps) had a reamer and an insertion tool only. This one comes with a multi-tool, that has a reamer, insertion too, knife, and pliers, all-in-one.

Also came with an inline pressure gauge. I probably won't carry that.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Oz1200Guzzi and GuzziLooper like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1Sun May 23, 2021 11:16 am

I bought a Dyna plug kit and have it stowed in the void the rubber snorkel used to occupy.
I've never had a flat tire on a bike but I know I will if I don't pack a repair kit.

It's good to know the Dynaplug will last the life of the tire. I just installed new Michelin PR4s.

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1Sun May 23, 2021 4:20 pm

I thought Bill H had the cake for punctures. Between him and Wayne O, tire companies make money.
Never seen so many flats. I have a kit in the Jeep but transfer it to the EV if I go to a rally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES   FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

FOREIGN OBJECTS & TIRES
Page 1 of 1