GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Left side is noisey

Go down 
+2
eeyore
JohnA
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Left side is noisey Empty
PostSubject: Left side is noisey   Left side is noisey Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:17 am

Good Day,
My 2014 GRiSO has 10,500 miles on it. I rode it without a helmet for a little while about a month ago and it seemed noisier than I would have expected. A friend from this site (Cognosticator) was kind to offer to show me how to adjust the valves and we did that a couple of weeks back. I don’t think they were ever adjusted before. I’ve had the bike since new. The shop where I bought it said the checked them at 7,000 miles and they were good.
From recollection, the exhaust valves were almost closed and I believe the intake valves were better but needed a tweak. Yesterday we sync’d the throttle bodies. TPS was good from when we adjusted the valves and set the TPS.
The engine is noisier on the left side (sitting on the bike) maybe down low. We are going to check the valves again but I don’t believe they are the cause of noise. The bike may have always sounded like this. It runs great and has no issues with power, shifting or anything. It would be nice if somehow I could post a video so folks more knowledge could offer an opinion.
Jerry’s 2013 doesn’t have the extra engine “output” that mine does.
The bike has been ridden about 2500 mile per year and pretty conservatively. I’ve changed all oils 3 times since new (at 600 miles and in 2016 and this year).
There isn’t a shop close that knows guzzi’s. Looking for some thoughts on next steps.
Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Left side is noisey   Left side is noisey Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:27 am

Worth checking the valve clearance again - engine cold, piston on side being checked at TDC on compression stroke - both valves fully closed. I use a plastic chopstick to determine TDC but others may have a more scientific method. The valve clearances don’t usually move much and something sounds amiss. The exhaust valves being under gapped as above would cause other problems.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Left side is noisey   Left side is noisey Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:04 am

Usually it's the R/H side that's louder in my experience cause of the chain adjuster. Maybe it was off of TDC a bit w/adjusted.
I'm most likely the closest to you but still quite a truck to get over here. I'm in Auburn, GA, bout 25mi west of Athens.
I use a plastic straw to find TDC. There hasn't been any issues w/roller set-up that I have experienced.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Left side is noisey   Left side is noisey Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:00 pm

When syncing the TB's yesterday it sounded to me like the left side intake might have been too loose. That is the kind of noise it was making to me.

I am going over to John's this next Friday and do another valve adjustment and see if I set the left side too loose.

Other than that I can't think of what it might be. I live about 20 minutes from him so he is close to me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Left side is noisey   Left side is noisey Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:02 pm

Check the header nuts, exhaust leak?
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Left side is noisey   Left side is noisey Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:07 am

Hi SSBob,
I did check them a couple of weeks ago while looking for other things that may have come lose.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Left side is noisey   Left side is noisey Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:33 am

If it is an internal noise and sounds like a chain flapping about it may well be the spacer to block gasket having blown out but I thought by 2014 the factory had started using a better one? When that goes it's usually the right that rattles first due to the opposition of the tensioner reservoir.

Pete
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Left side is noisey   Left side is noisey Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:30 am

Pete,
Doesn't sound bad like that. We'll check the valves again on Friday and report back.
Appreciate this site and your help very much.
While checking the throttle bodies last week and taking off the starter cover, we found the ground cable a little loose.
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Left side is noisey   Left side is noisey Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:28 am

It was in fact the valves after all. Jerry came over and we checked everything again -about 4 times and made adjustments and it sounds great now.
We looked for the TDC mark through the side port but didn’t see anything when at TDC. So a long plastic tube from a spray bottle with TDC marks on it is going in the tool box.
This is clearly an exercise you would get better with the more you did it. Pete can probably do it with his eyes closed.
Thanks to everyone that replied.
John
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Left side is noisey   Left side is noisey Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:35 am

It turned out that the left side exhaust valve gap was more than they should have been.  I should have measured them to see what it was but I didn't. I think that's what was making the noise.  When we buttoned her back up and fired her up it was the usual rattling of valves that I was use to hearing.  Not sure how I screwed it up but glad we got it back to specs.

I am glad John had enough faith in me to let me recheck everything.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Left side is noisey   Left side is noisey Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Left side is noisey
Page 1 of 1