GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...

Go down 
+11
GuzziSteve
beetle
dlpannebakker
Kel
Bill Hagan
Kiwi_Roy
rick pope
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
eeyore
DeepSpace
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Empty
PostSubject: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:08 pm

Yeah, well, that was a surprise. I've charged the GRiSO today. Its getting colder here now so i've put her on the charger today. I didn't want to have it charging all night, so ive disconnected it just now after a few hours. I figured, as one does, lets see if she starts. Put the key in. Turn it on. Nothing wrong, lights came on, dail went to max .. all good. Hit the start button ... BANG! .... heavy electric smoke, made me couch. Now the bike does weird stuff. If i turn the key to ignition, i can hear relays ratteling. The dash lights are flashing randomly. It says ECU with the two plugs. Fuck. Weird thing is. When i turn the ignition off, but leave the key in. i've seen the dail go all the way up to max. here some weird sound from a small relays and i get APMG 0022 on the dash .... I do think the battery is bad. gave me 9 volts going though the menu.

Any ideas? Don't have the time now to have a look, but we can speculate .. as we like to do Smile
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:27 pm

No knowledge of MG specific issues but would check all earth and battery connections.
Somebody will be along shortly with greater knowledge.
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:41 pm

yeah, guess i'll have to replace the battery and find out what doesn't work afterwards. May have blown up the starter relay. All the fuses where still ok.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Um, what charger are you using and does it have a desulphurising circuit. If all was good before I would look at the charger - sounds like it may have been providing AC instead of DC to your bike. THIS WILL KILL LOTS OF THINGS on your bike, IF it's the problem. The charger was connected correctly, wasn't it?

Very un-MG-like...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:51 pm

Where did the smoke come from? 'ECU Disconnected' icon is bad, it usually means it's been spiked, (But not always.) the APMG thing on the dash is just showing it is rebooting, or trying to.

AN event like this immediately points me towards a sudden, large, short to earth. Almost certainly from one of the major feeds. The main feed to the ignition is protected by a 30A fuse. The big feed to the starter motor is not. I suggest you pull the seat and look for signs of it shorting to the frame or check it hasn't fallen off the back of the solenoid and touched the starter or gearbox, maybe the footpeg plate or gear linkage rod.

Disconnect the battery earth before you start poking around!
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:04 pm

Charger is fine.

I did have starter problems before, during my trip to the Alps. The little fuse kept blowing up. Sightly bigger fuse saved my holiday. i do think it is in the starter circuit somewhere. It happend when i hit the starter button. I didn't see where the smoke came from as i jumped up and screamed like a little girl and at the same time the lights in the garage went off as they are on a timer. I'll go have a look this weekend to see what the hell is going on. Just hope the ECU is still fine Razz
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:41 pm

I did have starter problems before, during my trip to the Alps. The little fuse kept blowing up. Sightly bigger fuse saved my holiday.

Check and see if the battery is good.  No sense replacing until you know.  Then find why you were blowing the stock fuse, and I bet you'll find where the smoke escaped.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Perhaps it was just lead oxide on the battery terminals, they can sometime make a pop when they disconnect under load.
Disconnect the negative then the positive, scrape the metal clean then bolt them back Positive first then Negative.

On the fuse blowing, that can also happen if the lead is not connected tightly, The solenoid draws a lot more current for the first few milliseconds, longer if the cable connection is bad.

Last edited by Kiwi_Roy on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:18 pm

Aaaah, once you let the smoke out, you can't put it back in. Whale Oil! Beef Hooked!
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:07 pm

That's why i tell people electronics is working on smoke. One the smoke is out, it stops working Razz

I did check the babttery leads when in the Alps. Made sure they were nice and snug. Guess i'll have to do that again, and then check the rest. I'll find it.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:56 am

"Screamed like a girl?"

I'd have screamed like a chorus of them.  jocolor

I once lit up the nighttime sky in Atlanta when, in over my head in electrical workings -- anything past thumbing the starter button usually is  Embarassed -- I messed with my Ballabio's battery connections.

Wayne Orwig, who was watching (and telling me to be careful) was awestruck, a rare state for him.

Anyway, condolences on your present predicament; looking forward to learning what you find is the root cause.  Might save many of us a few of us at least me from repeating your experience.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:02 am

I recently discovered during a periodic look over that the crimped on terminal connector at the battery was loose on the wire.
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:52 pm

Sounds like yet another PIAGGIO/Moto Guzzi electronic nightmare. If I can get enough money saved up, I’m going to rid my GRiSO of all the junk electronics. Moto Guzzi use to be a great bike but when PIAGGIO bought them quality in my eyes have really diminished & completely vanished. Technology has hurt the motorcycle industry. Sure it’s great when it works right but anything that has a computer onboard is going to be expensive to repair where shops only might be able to repair it. It seems the only bikes with far less problems are the Japanese brands. Told to me by a Guzzi tech. His words “buy Japanese if you want a reliable motorcycle”. However I like Guzzi or use to really like Guzzi now it’s just like. It’s a real shame I feel this way. Sorry to unload folks. Keep the rubber to the road.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:13 pm

If it is the main power feed it could happen to any motorbike. Old or new.

The only thing that is different with 'New Tech' bike's is they need a different suite of tools to diagnose and fix them. How far back would you want to go? Acetylene lighting? Heated vapour fueling where the exhaust pipe runs through a tank and fuel is dripped on it before being pushed into the cylinder through a demand valve? (That was real fun! Especially if you weren't fond of your pubic hair!) Leather belt drives? Manual advance and retard for the spark?

The only good thing about the 'Good old days' is they're gone! Thank fuck! Lots of people thought they could work on the old tech. They couldn't. They were useless at that as well. Most people don't understand carburettors. They might think they do but they don't. That's why main jets always sold well, needles, atomisers and slides? Not so much.

Pete

PS. If this 'Tech' can't keep a Guzzi reliable I suggest you find a better 'Tech'.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:44 pm

dlpannebakker wrote:
I’m going to rid my GRiSO of all the junk electronics.

Do tell. Which bits? 🤔

Seriously. I want to know.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:03 am

ok ... never seen this before. Must have been one hell of a short Razz

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This weekend i'll have a look what else is damaged. I think there might be a short in the starter circuit somewhere to cause this.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:26 am

All the times I have seen the plug disconnect symbol on dash it has been the ECU ground to frame up under steering head. The round terminal for a screw is not crimped that well and may be loose on wire.
Have never seen it cause flash of lightning.

Only time I seen a battery crack is dead and then frozen. Hope the acid didn't go on the bike.

You didn't put charger on reversed? That will reverse the polarity of battery, then who knows.
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:15 am

Nah, it went wrong when i hit the starter button. the bike "powered up" just fine after turning the key on.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Well, looks like you know the state of the battery ;-)

How old was the battery? I had a battery blow up under similar conditions on one of my cars. Draw of starter caused something to arc then boom... Old battery, low acid/fluid level arcing of plates and flash bang poof and smoke accompanied by a blown out side. Thankfully there wasn't much acid to blow all over the engine bay.

Did it also blow any fuses?

Take the opportunity of a new battery to check over all grounds, fuses, etc. I bet (hope) when you throw in a new battery, all will be well.
Back to top Go down
zebraranger
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
zebraranger

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:33 pm

I once had a battery on a bike blow up like that too with the split case. The battery maintainer that I was using was bad and overcharged the battery.
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:22 am

Well, the battery may not have been the best anymore indeed. Maybe in combination with the charger it produced a little more gas then normal and indeed arced during the request for current from the starter. The battery came with the bike so i don't know how old it is. I just hope nothing else is broken. The ECU thing worries me a little. I will know more on sunday Smile
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:06 am

So, today i had a look. Measured all the fuses. All good. Put in the KTM battery, same mounting lugs but 2/3 the dimensions. Turned the key on. everything started up they way it should, no funny noises. ok. next step, hit start. And she ran Very Happy

So, just an exploded battery. I do have diagcables for the bike so next step is having a look at error messages if any.

Lucky me just a 100 euro repair and not a 500 or more euro for an ECU Smile
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:01 pm

For what it's worth...I have seen two batteries exploding in my lifetime.
Once in my old 1970 Cougar and in my friend's 1969 Mach1.
Both times when trying to start the car.
Scared the fuck out of me! You turn the key on and Boom! Talk about being stunned...
So seeing a cracked battery, even on a motorcycle is not surprising to me.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:39 pm

It would be interesting to see if it came apart inside but dont investigate further unless you are wearing some protection equipment.
I'm sure it will be fine with a new battery.
Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:03 am

yeah, nahhhh Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...   Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Key in, turn on, hit start ... BANG .. electric smoke...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next