GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

LED turn signals

Go down 
+14
SMTCapeCod
Oz1200Guzzi
rick pope
motor-timothy
Degs
lcjohnny
Pawel Spoon
Kiwi_Roy
paulbrice
kiwi dave
Dave R
beetle
Pete Roper
Clowell
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Clowell
Carlotto
Carlotto
Clowell

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Hello everybody, has anyone installed front and back LED turn signals on their GRiSO? I've installed them on a vfr800 and had to get a special relay to eliminate the hyper blinking. I'm assuming (careful now) it would be the same with the GRiSO. Any thoughts? Thanx,
.Craig
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:02 pm

Yup, you'll need in line resistors. Not only to stop the rapid blink but also to prevent the dash warning for blown globes.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:01 pm

Yes & no. There's no relay on the GRiSO. They're controlled by the instruments, individually.

El-cheapo LED's will require resistors to prevent what Pete has already mentioned. Motogadget and Morimoto (and possibly some other high-end units) will not.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny and Yahu like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Clowell
Carlotto
Carlotto
Clowell

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:29 pm

Great, thanks guys.

Craig
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:25 pm

beetle wrote:

Yes & no. There's no relay on the GRiSO. They're controlled by the instruments, individually.

El-cheapo LED's will require resistors to prevent what Pete has already mentioned. Motogadget and Morimoto (and possibly some other high-end units) will not.

Mine need swapping out, but I didn't fancy having to bugger about with resistors.  What do I need to look for to indicate they don't require resistors on the description ?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:50 pm

None of them say you don't need resistors. They cover themselves by saying you may need resistors, or that the indicators will work with load resistors. I can tell you from personal experience that the Morimoto's don't need them, and I've seen reports that the Motogadget LEDS don't.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:26 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Yup, you'll need in line resistors. Not only to stop the rapid blink but also to prevent the dash warning for blown globes.

I'm confused Pete. Don't you mean a resistor in parallel? Any LED turn signal will already have the resistor in series, but this one will not prevent the dash warning for blown globes.

I installed LED flashers on the front of my GRiSO, and used 15Ω 5W resistors which were small enough to hide in heat shrink behind the headlight. I know Kiwi Roy claimed that a much higher resistance will still suffice, but I had already installed mine.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:56 pm

You are correct. Sorry, must of been early morning brain.....
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:57 am

Rizoma LED indicators come with pair of resistors (they should do given the prices !); just minor PITA to fit them somewhere out of sight....like behind the coils for front ones.

Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Fri May 01, 2020 9:19 pm

Actually I checked it out using my GRiSO as a guinea pig.
The lamps I have worked without resistors.
Only if it throws up a failed lamp alarm will you have to add a 1K 1/4 watt resistor for just a few cents.
I would suggest soldering the tiny resistor to the lamp holder contacts.
The failed lamp symbol is there in place of the rapid flash you would get with an old style thermal relay.
Here is the thread where I talk about it
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:40 pm

i have installed mo blaze pins yesterday. with leds only on the rear, all was fine, with leds in front and back it is blinking too quickly, will add resistors next week
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:56 am

I tried the Oxford Nightrider sequential indicators £80 for 4 and they were too dim to be useful (lots of criticism from my riding mates).  Don't use these dim indicators

Now fitted these from Alchemy Alchemy bright LED they are £20 a pair and are definitely bright enough. They needed resistors inline - so i used the Oxford ones.

I have a  bright sun day-time video of these indicators

and night-time

Both tested as visible by critical riding mates

Last edited by lcjohnny on Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sp 4/10)

paulbrice likes this post

Back to top Go down
Degs
Carlotto
Carlotto
Degs

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:31 pm

I've also just fitted motogadget pin moblaze indicators. High speed flashing and warning lights. Ordered a motogadget resistor.
But if you just change 2, front or back, they work fine.
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:25 pm

how much are they ? the 1k 0.25 W resistors are super cheap, like 2 bucks .. and small.

on my sw 650 iused also the mo pins and the resistor was 'bigger' then the pins themselve Smile
and the resistor was included.
this time not
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:57 pm

lcjohnny wrote:
I tried the Oxford Nightrider sequential indicators £80 for 4 and they were too dim to be useful (lots of criticism from my riding mates).  Don't use these dim indicators

I have the oxford nightrider sequential indicators but found no problems with them, brighter than the stock flashers. There also wasn't any need to mount the resistors with them.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:44 am

You are right that they worked without resistors.
Problem was that when leading the group, in daylight people could not see which way were headed from my indicators.
I got quite a bit of stick from that ..

So i guessed that other traffic would not either.
Back to top Go down
Degs
Carlotto
Carlotto
Degs

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:11 am

Pawel Spoon wrote:
how much are they ? the 1k 0.25 W resistors are super cheap, like 2 bucks .. and small.

on my sw 650 iused also the mo pins and the resistor was 'bigger' then the pins themselve Smile
and the resistor was included.
this time not
Motogadget mo flash turn signal relay £29.99 from urban rider. 
As I am crap at electronics,  I went for the originals.
May even get local bike mechanic to install.
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:20 am

You went for the relay. I thought there is no thing like that in a GRiSO.
Was I wrong?

german site i know but google can translate that: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Degs
Carlotto
Carlotto
Degs

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:10 am

Pawel Spoon wrote:
Was I wrong?

german site i know but google can translate that: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Didn't know that, bugger.
Back to top Go down
Degs
Carlotto
Carlotto
Degs

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:10 am

Pawel Spoon wrote:
Was I wrong?

Didn't know that, bugger confused
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:17 am

No relay on any of the CARC bikes. Indicators are done through the dash.

Am I the only person in the world who hates LED indicators? Miserable little 'Look at me' tryhard bits of shit that add unneeded complexity. Fine if they are part of the original design brief but as an addition?

(Shrug?!)
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:41 am

You must really hate my GRiSO. LED blinkies. Geegaws out the wazoo. Stucchi horror show. Non standard plumbing. Garish orange.

Razz

In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:53 am

Nah. Everybody knows you're *Special*! Rolling Eyes Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:14 am

Well I had two broken originals and two non matching cheap patterns...so i needed new anyway -

Also the sequential indicators on Audi cars are really noticeable and i really liked the look of the Oxford nightriders and - pity they were so dim Sad

But any load i can take of a Guzzi electrical system is good news to me
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:36 am

It has a fucking great 600W alternator! You could fit microwave radar that would cook bunnies at 10km and still have power left over to light up Wembley Stadium for a Spice Girls reunion! Getting rid of a couple of 21W indicator globes are not going to save you enough energy to prevent yourself being sucked into that black hole of illogical nonsense!

This has enraged me since the '80's! Back then shitty BMW's were seen as the 'Ad-Ultra' of electrical output and reliability. Guzzis were seen as Flakey and slightly suspect. They both used EXACTLY THE SAME CHARGING SYSTEMS! I don't mean similar. I mean IDENTICAL! It made me want to gouge peoples' eyes out then! The fact that this 'Guzzi Electrics' myth continues in the 2020's fills me with rage and spit and could possibly contribute to me soiling myself and having an aneurysm!

Don't! Just don't.

beetle, moto, Dave R, Ditchfinder, littlebuddha and Ham42 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

LED turn signals
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next