GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil level on dipstick

Go down 
+8
beetle
Matias
alanlemansiv
JohnA
Dave R
tvboy
Pete Roper
Xcountry41
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:51 am

Olive oil would work fine. Just not for very long. The very best, non 'Man Made' lubricants are animal fats, the problem is they have a very, very short service life.

Given Tim's interest in extra terrestrial explorations it's a sage fact that certain components on the Space Shuttle and I think other space vehicles use/d sperm whale oil as a lubricant due to its lack of volatility and resistance to extreme heat and pressure changes. Dunno about collapsive fissile detonation systems? I wouldn't think they'd need a lot of lubrication but I'm just a motorbike mechanic so I defer to the experts on that.
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:08 am

My stepdad worked on the shuttle solid rocket boosters and I had a field supervisor position at one of the facilities on the Airforce station in the early 80s installing RF sheildingit was cool to be able to go to all the launch pads. Now that I live close to the base I rarely miss a launch the rumble is amazing. But getting back to olio the local Auto parts store guy was amazed at the GRiSO needing 10 60 and I said thats what I use when olive oil isnt available

Svartipants likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:16 am

On another note I was in the engineerig department for a research company that developed battery seperator membranes and the filter membranes for kidney dialysis . These materials were welded with a electron accelerator then exposed to Cobalt 60 and rotated on indexing tables pnuematiclly actuated by a cylinder and Vaseline was found to not break down in the radioactive environment
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:18 am

Yup. The human race has come a long way in some areas.

Tim Henry likes this post

Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:37 am

Tim Henry wrote:
I run Bertoli extra virgin 1060 olive and it smells and tastes good too

Who knows....being italian they might get along well with the so-called "Mediterranean Diet" and a good olive oil...

lcjohnny and Tim Henry like this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:39 am

Surprised Musk hasn't rebuilt a whale oil factory at Nantuket to lube his space program....
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:55 am

The east coast of US has had a bunch of Whales washing up on the beach I sure hope they aren't letting them go to waste and shipping them off to the renderer. I miss the taste of whale blubber it actully is quite tasty had some in Alaska with the natives back early 80s much better than the grubs I ate in Africa
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:38 am

Tim Henry wrote:
The east coast of US has had a bunch of Whales washing up on the beach I sure hope they aren't letting them go to waste and shipping them off to the renderer. I miss the taste of whale blubber it actully is quite tasty had some in Alaska with the natives back early 80s much better than the grubs I ate in Africa

what?!!!!
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:43 am

The Alaskan tribes are allowed to harvest a certain number for traditional reasons and share it with the members I just happened to be on a jobsite not far and was invited I have native ancestry on my dads side from N Dakota
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:48 am

Hi everyone,
I am bringing this thread back to life because at the time I couldn't get this doubt cleared and it is still puzzling me...
At a certain point in the thread, Dave R shares a pict of the oil dipstick of his bike, a 1200 8V.
The length is completely different from the one on my bike, a 1100 4V. I'm sharing a picture comparing the two.
How can this be? I believe the oil pans and spacers are similar in both models...
As anyone ever measured the oil dipstick on a 1100?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:54 am

Dave R here. My understanding (& I'm sure Mr Roper will correct me) is that the last version of the 1200 had a different sump & did away with the spacer. But I'm probably wrong on that

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:04 am

My 2014 was the last year for the spacer. I had to do the gasket replacement accordingly. My stick is the same as the one in the second picture.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:55 am

Thanks guys.
So Dave, your bike doesn't have the spacer, right?
Yes, that would explain it...
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:10 pm

Yeah - that's my understanding. I believe they shared the sump pan with another model
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:14 pm

Cali 1400 sump.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oil level on dipstick
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2