GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?

Go down 
+13
Steak
Street
Barefootbic
lablame
Oz1200Guzzi
Bad Karma
Bulldog9
GuzziSteve
kiwi dave
Parkertron
beetle
Pete Roper
KeithEMason
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Barefootbic
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Barefootbic

How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2021 4:34 pm

I have a picture from the dealer. I would like to share it and get feedback. Can someone please tell me how to download pictures?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2021 5:12 pm

Send it to me direct, I can host it.

motomoda.roper gmail.com

I can probably tell you the answer as long as the pic is at the right angle.

Lehctim likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 pm

This board apparently won't let you put in a substitute for the ampersand but I'm sure you can work it out.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 27, 2021 1:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 27, 2021 7:23 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
This board apparently won't let you put in a substitute for the ampersand but I'm sure you can work it out.

motomoda.roper(a)gmail.com?

I probably misunderstood what you are trying to do.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 27, 2021 9:23 pm

You mean an @ ?

Works fine.

[email address deleted]

In GRiSO we trust!

Last edited by beetle on Fri May 28, 2021 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri May 28, 2021 5:03 pm

Nevermind, he said ampersand...  this one:  &

And if I recall, maybe the board doesn't like that symbol for picture links.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri May 28, 2021 5:06 pm

It matters not. The idea was simply to avoid putting the whole email in as that sometimes make you a target for spammers. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem on the Ghetto though. We're probably too obscure for scammers. Either that or too weird.

lcjohnny and Bad Karma like this post

Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:26 am

As a newbie I’ve found this thread very informative.
Regarding engine changeover, Kiwi Dave wrote: GRiSO - Motor#A813524 Build Date 12 April 2012

I’m ‘looking’ at a 2015 model. Would it be correct to assume this engine was rollerised new from the factory?

The owner has had it from new but strangely dismissed my camshaft questions?? Otherwise seems a cared for bike, albeit sketchy dealer service record, but low mileage.
Back to top Go down
Guzzimax
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Guzzimax

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:41 am

2015 model should be factory rollers, but to double check simply ask the seller for the engine serial no which is stamped on a plate fixed to the motor, and check that it’s after the change over #

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:11 pm

My engine number is A8014650, I believe it is a 2015 model. I purchased it new in 2017.

Using the VIN number to determine year of manufacture can be misleading, as these are issued by the local registration authority, not the factory. I did observe during a trip to the USA, some bikes on the showroom floor displaying a VIN of 2017, a bit of creative licence IMHO.
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:24 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
My engine number is A8014650, I believe it is a 2015 model.  I purchased it new in 2017.

Using the VIN number to determine year of manufacture can be misleading, as these are issued by the local registration authority, not the factory. I did observe during a trip to the USA, some bikes on the showroom floor displaying a VIN of 2017, a bit of creative licence IMHO.

Hopefully I’ll get the engine number in coming days. If it matches a post roller head then I’ll go have a look & invite owner to lift a cam cover.

Out of interest does anybody know the cost of parts / labour for the roller upgrade?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:45 pm

A 2015 will definitely be a roller motor. No need to lift the rocker cover to check on a 2015 as 2015 and onwards Grisos all use the Cali 1400 sump which is one piece rather than the earlier bikes which have a sump and spacer. The earlier sump has a flat bottom. The later one is thinner at the front than the back so viewed from the side it is slightly trapezoid. If it has the later sump it is definitely a roller motor.

The cost of rollerisation depends on year and, to a degree, model. Some are simpler than others. I think I should actually produce a detailed post explaining the various changes that can be pegged at the top of the technical section.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Norge No Hoper
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Norge No Hoper

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:39 am

Thanks for all the information.
I have a noisy Norge.
Does anyone know where I can get a Kit A in Australia to rollerise it?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:56 am

I don't have one in stock at the moment because they are in really short supply but I can order one. Problem is no lead time due to the aforementioned supply issues.
Back to top Go down
Grisomoto
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Grisomoto

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:27 pm

Hello GRiSO owners! I’m new to this forum and would like to ask for some advice or help from many experienced GRiSO owners. I’m currently looking at a 2013 GRiSO SE. Do you guys think that since it’s a 2013, it would be safe to assume that it came from the factory with roller tappets already. I even called one of our local Moto Guzzi dealership here in Los Angeles California (Pro Italia) and was able to talked to their mechanic. I was able to provide the Vin number, and the mechanic was quick enough to say that it’s already equipped with roller tappets from the factory. He said that if the bike didn’t come with roller tappets, usually they will see it in their system when he punched in the vin number. Will it be safe to trust what he told me, or do I still have to ask the seller if we can open the valve cover, even if the owner himself also told me that the bike is roller equipped. Sorry guys if I have to open this topic again. This is my first time of possibly owning a Moto Guzzi and just want to make it a very pleasant experience! Many thanks to all of you!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:35 pm

If it is plated as a 2013 you should be safe. If you want to be certain just make sure the engine # is after the change over point listed in my ‘Deinitive guide’
Back to top Go down
Grisomoto
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Grisomoto

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:46 am

I will check the engine number. Many thanks Pete!!
Back to top Go down
Grisomoto
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Grisomoto

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:54 am

Hi Pete, I was able to confirm that the bike has roller tappets by opening the valve cover. After inspecting the bike, just below the alternator , there are some oil seepage at the upper left front (shifter side) of the motor, where the little sensor is bolted onto the block, that area including the sensor have traces of seepage, under the tail end of the air box is pretty damped too. The bike only has 10,000 mile. I’m really interested, but should I be concerned, and do you have any idea where the problem where might be coming from. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:21 pm

Sorry, I thought I'd replied to this? May be the sensor leaking. May also be the breather hoses or condom on the condensor box.

Mess at the back of the airbox is probably from a missing drain hose off the rear airbox spigot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?   How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How do you tell if your motor has roller tappets?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2