GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Clutch pull

Go down 
+17
Lazlokovacs
musto
Camphill
GuzziSteve
Robeartato
evansnows
Evilgarfield
Pete Roper
motor-timothy
lcjohnny
sideshowbob
Bulldog9
BrianD
Robinson_Spike
paulbrice
beetle
hookah
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

Clutch pull - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:27 am

that's the one, I had a stainless steel piston made to replace the worn out original.
Back to top Go down
Robeartato
Carlotto
Carlotto
Robeartato

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:10 pm

About time for an update I'd say.

if you recall the last email I got from Oberon indicated they wouldn't be able to say anything until March.

Asked the other day and got the following info:

- Material has been acquired to make a Slave Cylinder for the Moto Guzzi
- Initial design will be in testing shortly, may proceed to full release if no massive issues are detected.

they've suggested if you're interested in getting one to use their newsletter, as it sounds like I'll need to wait for an official release notification to get a date out of them.

Good news frankly. I'm planning on doing the Swingarm bearings for my GRiSO soon, so I think I might hold off and do this at the same time.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:53 pm

thats great news, I'd be in the market for one, for sure
Back to top Go down
el capitan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
el capitan

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:38 pm

What about CLU-1400? This is a Norton part, but the three mounting holes look similar and it got a stepped cylinder from the factory.
Back to top Go down
Robeartato
Carlotto
Carlotto
Robeartato

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:06 am

It's true that the CLU-1400 has a stepped cylinder. However, if you compare that to the modified cylinder Johnny had to use (page 3) you'll see that it's still too wide and too short.

I haven't had any update from Oberon since that last email. I will send them another contact this week as I was under the impression that it would have been available for purchase now.

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
ErikdeBrabander
Carlotto
Carlotto
ErikdeBrabander

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:14 am

I noticed Oberon has the Moto Guzzi Clutch Slave Cylinder in stock now.
Any experiences?

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Robeartato
Carlotto
Carlotto
Robeartato

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:48 pm

So it is!

Not in a position to get it at present. Looking at a potential engine rebuild on my hands, but if I'm lucky enough for it to not be that then I'll be getting this and giving it a go.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:02 pm

Can someone post a link for me? I'd like to experiment.
Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:54 pm

Here you go Pete. . .

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:58 pm

Thanks, I'd just found it anyway. It doesn't mention anything in the blurb about reduced pull. Do we know if it uses a larger piston than the stocker?
Back to top Go down
Robeartato
Carlotto
Carlotto
Robeartato

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:06 am

Looks like it.

Last image shows the piston and it's almost the exact same as Paul's prototype. Larger diameter piston stepped down to fit.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:18 am

I'm in!
Back to top Go down
musto
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
musto

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:28 am

Hello, hopefully I can help here, I have one of the first production slave cylinders, waiting to fit to my Stelvio. The piston is indeed stepped, 29.56mm at the base, stepped down to 24.95mm. Will try to include a photo if somebody tells me how ?.

ErikdeBrabander likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:21 am

Sounds like the dream answer to the long running clutch pull pain threads.  @Musto easiest way for pics.. make sure the pic is stored in a file on your laptop/device, just click the host an image button above [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

& select the image from the file , send it & insert it into your reply.....
Back to top Go down
ErikdeBrabander
Carlotto
Carlotto
ErikdeBrabander

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:47 am

I'm looking forward to experiences!
I noticed my clutch reservoir cap looks a bit affected by the fluid and was considering an RCS as an upgrade in comfort but a new cap and the Oberon makes more sense. And the brake cilinder needs to be replaced as well for the looks which is more than I'm keen on to spend now but comfort is highly valued IMO.

I'm amazed in the color choices! I wouldn't do a standard color since it's an upgrade I may vote for gold anodised. Mine is out for rollerisation and like to have this sorted first before proceeding...

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
el capitan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
el capitan

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:01 am

Brembo RCS16 for the clutch works perfectly fine once adjusted - even with the 17 years old stock slave cylinder. As a result I got so much adjustability from the master cylinder that I have no real need for an Oberon slave. Best of all: My brother just surprised me with a RCS19 brake master for Christmas ...

ErikdeBrabander likes this post

Back to top Go down
musto
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
musto

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:13 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
musto
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
musto

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:14 pm

paulbrice and Speedfrog like this post

Back to top Go down
ErikdeBrabander
Carlotto
Carlotto
ErikdeBrabander

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:49 pm

looks like a well crafted part for very decent money
Back to top Go down
Robeartato
Carlotto
Carlotto
Robeartato

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:44 am

musto wrote:

Looks good. Would be nice to get a comparison between fittings. Have you got a luggage scale or something to measure the pull+maintain weight of the old cylinder vs this one?
Back to top Go down
musto
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
musto

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:43 am

Yes that's the plan, measure before and after, but basically if it feels lighter it will do me. Unfortunately it will be a month or two before I get to it, but I will post my results when I do.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:07 pm

Important to remember that this may not work for people with small hands or who have very 'Dog-legged' levers.

I have a pair of dog-leg 'Shorties', (Which I hate, but I've been too lazy to swap out Rolling Eyes ) and I'm pretty sure the clutch one wouldn't work with a bigger slave.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:10 pm

Possibly right Pete.
The trade-off is less clutch lift per mm of lever movement.

However I was willing to bet that if you design a clutch to work with new slightly hairy plates then when they are bedded in there is more than enough clearance.

The clutch on mine was noticeably lighter with the 30mm "command piston" and no hint of drag.

I think that the Paul Brice stylee more efficient brembo master cylinder has a wider bore so that will restore your lift (as well as reducing contamination of the master reservoir)

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:16 pm

Problem is a bigger master will, once again, change the ratio for the worse and increase the pull.

I'm remembering, (With my increasingly dodgy memory.) that my original 2008 clutch suffered, even when the lever pushrod was adjusted very accurately, from insufficient lift if I had the span adjuster set anywhere other than its furthest out position. Anywhere else and gear changes were compromised or sometimes, if I was in a hurry, impossible to achieve cleanly. Set in close the clutch would drag when hot making it impossible to select neutral at a standstill and making the bike 'Creep' if unbraked.

Now when I swapped the Sport gearbox in a couple of years ago I also installed the later Cali 14 clutch. This in itself is a bit lighter due to changes to the diaphragm spring but it's also interesting to note that the span sensitive clutch wonkiness disappeared after the fitment.

What does that mean? Who knows really? But it's something to be aware of........
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:19 pm

This is an exiting idea.
Looking forward to seeing how they work on the bikes and how involved the
fitting process is.
Most of the upgrades I have in mind involve taking the bike off the road which I'm loathe to do at the moment. I'm hoping that this one would be done in a day. As mentioned the cost is not prohibitive and
it should be easy enuogh to revert to the standard set up if it didn't work out. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch pull   Clutch pull - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Clutch pull
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next