GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

First self made service on my GRiSO

Go down 
+6
Pete Roper
eeyore
Bill Dee
BigTime
Oz1200Guzzi
Evilgarfield
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

First self made service on my GRiSO - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First self made service on my GRiSO   First self made service on my GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 am

Why do you want to cut corners?
Just order the new gaskets, with the combined shipping on your full service kit its only going to add £14 to the overall cost and you then know the job is done right.

Alternatively, strain your old oil, wash the oil filter out in petrol, put RTV on the drain washers and cut new gaskets from old breakfast cereal packets.
Then pat yourself on the back for saving £80.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: First self made service on my GRiSO   First self made service on my GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:26 am

eeyore wrote:
Why do you want to cut corners?
Just order the new gaskets, with the combined shipping on your full service kit its only going to add £14 to the overall cost and you then know the job is done right.

Alternatively, strain your old oil, wash the oil filter out in petrol, put RTV on the drain washers and cut new gaskets from old breakfast cereal packets.
Then pat yourself on the back for saving £80.
Because I  can take generic 10x18x1.5 aluminium washers from work. Gaskets I would have to order separately and it would be a special order for them so if there is a high chance I don't need to replace them, why would I pay 30.- shipping costs for them?
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: First self made service on my GRiSO   First self made service on my GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:46 am

It's a Moto Guzzi - that surely deserves the best level of service.

To do the job properly to a known standard and help ensure reliability for the duration of use until the next scheduled service.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First self made service on my GRiSO   First self made service on my GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:08 pm

The 1100, (And 1200 pushrod motor) gaskets are made from some sort of fibrous substance and are useless. For some reason, despite being the same gaskets used with no problems on all previous squarefin engines on the CARC bikes with their slightly different rocker covers the gaskets squeeze out, tear and leak.

The answer is to purchase a pair of Valpollini gaskets which are the same shape but made of metal with a sealing counting on them. They never fail and can be re-used almost indefinitely.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: First self made service on my GRiSO   First self made service on my GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 pm

eeyore wrote:
It's a Moto Guzzi - that surely deserves the best level of service.

To do the job properly to a known standard and help ensure reliability for the duration of use until the next scheduled service.

While I agree that a bike like that should be maintained well, I don't want to trigger a specaial shippping and throw out a perfectly fine part just for fun. So if the answer to the questions: "Can we reuse gaskets?" is "Yes and they will fulfill their role unless you do a stupid mistake" then I will reuse the old ones. If it's  "No they will be toasted" then I will for sure order replacement ones.

Pete Roper wrote:
The 1100, (And 1200 pushrod motor) gaskets are made from some sort of fibrous substance and are useless. For some reason, despite being the same gaskets used with no problems on all previous squarefin engines on the CARC bikes with their slightly different rocker covers the gaskets squeeze out, tear and leak.

The answer is to purchase a pair of Valpollini gaskets which are the same shape but made of metal with a sealing counting on them. They never fail and can be re-used almost indefinitely.

This is great news. I'm happy I asked. I've found them on the Valpolini website for those of you interested (unless everyone has a 1200 8V Wink ) Thanks a lot Pete!
Back to top Go down
okuraner
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
okuraner

PostSubject: GRiSO Parts   First self made service on my GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:27 am

I am buying all of brake pads, flters, etc. from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] They are officlal dealer for Brembo and many other brands. Prices are cheaper and they have excellent service. I really recommend.

Steak likes this post

Back to top Go down
okuraner
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
okuraner

PostSubject: Re: First self made service on my GRiSO   First self made service on my GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:29 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: First self made service on my GRiSO   First self made service on my GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:28 pm

Evilgarfield wrote:
paulbrice wrote:
True, but whatever order you do all the 'static' stuff.....at the end you'll need to reset TPS cos you've changed the map, then balance/synchronise the cylinders (without touching sacred screw) & reset TPS again.....
Yes I read the guide by Beetle. Don't worry I have a dab of glue in addition of the yellow paint on the sacred screws. 

So if I do the map first then the TPS reset had to happen again after the valves?
it would then be: save old map -> load new one -> reset TPS -> reset autolearning Parana -> set CO trim -> ride for a while -> check valves when bad weather -> reset TPS and autolearning -> set CO

Do I have it right?

Yes, but to get the best output, you should add a TB balance after the valve adjust.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First self made service on my GRiSO   First self made service on my GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

First self made service on my GRiSO
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2