GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Sump Differences

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Sump Differences Empty
PostSubject: Sump Differences   Sump Differences Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:40 pm

I've seen info about sumps and spacers, I've seen posts stating early sumps didnt have a spacer? Then there are these both later both different.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Sump Differences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sump Differences   Sump Differences Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:05 pm

Pete will be along presently to give the definitive explanation.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Sump Differences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sump Differences   Sump Differences Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:32 pm

The one pictured on the right has the earlier type sump with the spacer. The one on the left is a post '15 engine which uses the later Cali 14 sump which doesn't have a spacer.

Were there some post '15 bikes with the earlier set up? Maybe, but I doubt it. More likely if the one pictured is being touted as a '15 or later it is simply old stock that is being sold into a market where the year of registration doesn't reflect the year of manufacture.

In all honesty I don't think the sump type makes a lot of difference. Both systems have advantages and disadvantages. I think the main reason the sump was redesigned for the Cali 14 was because the earlier design was deeper and would of caused ground clearance issues in the low-slung Cali. It's use on the final series of Grisos was likely simply due to parts consolidation rather than any perceived advantage of the newer design.

One thing that the later design does do is diminish the actual volume of the crankcase and given the propensity of even the 1200's to blurt their oil into the airbox I don't think that is particularly meritorious. I do like the sump bottom pick up in the 1400 set up but having said that the earlier bikes don't expose their pick ups like the V11 'Broad Sump' motors are prone to do so it's not something to really worry about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sump Differences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sump Differences   Sump Differences Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Sump Differences
Page 1 of 1