GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Can someone ID this hose?

Go down 
+4
beetle
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
hipower
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hipower
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
hipower

Can someone ID this hose? Empty
PostSubject: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:57 pm

About 2 years ago I rollerized my 2010 GRiSO and after I was done I parked it. A couple weeks ago I pulled it out of my shed and replaced the leaky fork seal and got a battery and today I got insurance and registered it so I can ride it now. I don't remember what this hose is for. The other end is routed to the right side by the charcoal canister (maybe?) and is plugged. I know there is a vent for the tank that (should?) goes to the charcoal canister and there is a drain for the filler cap. There is also a drain for the battery tray but I don't think this is it.

thanks

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:00 pm

Most likely the tank drain, via the cannister. Do a cannisterostomy just ignore me. Sorry

Last edited by Oz1200Guzzi on Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:18 pm

Nope. That looks like the rear airbox drain tube and it is VERY important it is attached to the airbox and plugged! The spigot it goes on to is in the 'Clean' side of the airbox. If it is left open it allows the ingress of dust and dirt which is sudden and quick death to your throttlebodies.

The spigot is on the left rear of the airbox. I'll go and get a snap of mine now.

Last edited by Pete Roper on Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
hipower
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
hipower

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:21 pm

thanks Pete,

i was hoping you would chime in. i want to figure out what this is for before i take the bike out.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:28 pm

Reconnect it and hold it on with a clip. The hoses have a tendency to become brittle and fall off the spigot or snap.

In my opinion the rear hose, (There is another at the front, deepest part, of the airbox that is much less visible but just as important to make sure is connected and plugged.) is a bit of overkill as if there is sufficient oil in the airbox to get expelled out of that hose the engine has either been grossly over filled or there is something seriously wrong with it. It's actually worth carrying some sort of cap with you on long trips so that if the hose fails or falls off you can simply cap the spigot and deal with it later but prevent the shit getting into the airbox.

Bill Hagan and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
hipower
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
hipower

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:45 pm

looks like it goes here

something for the airbox?

Jankes likes this post

Back to top Go down
hipower
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
hipower

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:56 pm

There is a break in the middle of the hose so i'm going to have to replace it. Another trip to the hardware store for some tubing. I probably can tape it for a couple weeks if I really want to ride the bike tomorrow.

Still should do an oil change. I bought a 4l jug of 10w60 Motul at the local dealer for $80. I've been using 20w50 Mobil 1 vtwin or Redline and i'm dubious about the necessity of a 10w60. Maybe if this bike is rode in hot weather at highway speeds two up you need that little extra bit of viscosity.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:47 pm

While I'd advise sticking with a full ester 10/60 synth 20/50 is unlikely to kill it.

6mm ID clear plastic hose is what you need. Food service places often have it if you don't have a 'Rubber Shop' nearby. For now, as I said, just cap it. It is far more important to keep the dust out than worry about any oil getting into that part of the airbox.

On that point, if people think "It's only a small orifice. It won't do too much damage." These are the TB's and their mounting spigots from a Stelvio we have in at the moment that's hose was missing. The actual airbox wasn't filthy but you can see what's happened to the TB's! That's $2,000 worth of damage right there. It runs like shit. New TB's going on as I type.

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:02 pm

They be fooked!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:59 pm

Yuck!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:24 pm

It doesn't really bode well for the top end of the engine but I have to say that in my experience the rings and bores seem to be absurdly resistant to dusting. The valves and guides though........
Back to top Go down
hipower
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
hipower

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:11 pm

I think $20/liter is a bit gouging. Call it the Ducati tax from the dealer. i'll be looking for a better deal at my next oil change. I like to buy local and support the shops but I have my limits. Redline, Amsoil and Liquimoly all make a 10w60 motorcycle oil.

That Stelvio looks like it spent a lot of time off road. My GRiSO is at 10k miles and I've bought it new from the dealer 11 years ago.

Its nice just to hear it run again. I don't think I've ridden it for the last three years.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 am

beetle wrote:

Yuck!

Exactly my reaction
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:43 am

If you keep the oil level in middle of marks you could just cap it. Long needle nose pliers from LH side.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:14 am

Just as addendum to this post I wrote up the invoice for this job this afternoon.

Whilst the bike had various other 'co morbidities' that also had to be addressed it came in at just over $5K AU. And we haven't even started on the forks or front end.

Believe me. Neglecting preventative maintenance simply doesn't pay.....
Back to top Go down
hipower
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
hipower

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:05 pm

ouch..

I got some reinforced 1/4" tubing at the hardware store and superglued the rubber plug in the end with the steel wire clamp and put the other end on the spigot part of the plenum. I put a 6mm vacuum cap in with the tools under the seat so if the hose comes off, I'll have it available.

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Wow!   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:44 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
While I'd advise sticking with a full ester 10/60 synth 20/50 is unlikely to kill it.
My Goodness those tb's are the worst I've ever seen. Wow!
6mm ID clear plastic hose is what you need. Food service places often have it if you don't have a 'Rubber Shop' nearby. For now, as I said, just cap it. It is far more important to keep the dust out than worry about any oil getting into that part of the airbox.

On that point, if people think "It's only a small orifice. It won't do too much damage." These are the TB's and their mounting spigots from a Stelvio we have in at the moment that's hose was missing. The actual airbox wasn't filthy but you can see what's happened to the TB's! That's $2,000 worth of damage right there. It runs like shit. New TB's going on as I type.

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:24 pm

hipower wrote:
I think $20/liter is a bit gouging. Call it the Ducati tax from the dealer. i'll be looking for a better deal at my next oil change. I like to buy local and support the shops but I have my limits. Redline, Amsoil and Liquimoly all make a 10w60 motorcycle oil.

That Stelvio looks like it spent a lot of time off road. My GRiSO is at 10k miles and I've bought it new from the dealer 11 years ago.

Its nice just to hear it run again. I don't think I've ridden it for the last three years.

You need to look outside of your local Ducati dealer. Many have found suitable alternatives (10-60W full synth) at their local O'Reilly's et. al. and even at Walmart. Liqui Moly is a commonly found brand, but there are others. It's a increasingly common oil spec for many European import cars.

Also, MOTUL is readily available from numerous web based sources, many with free shipping.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can someone ID this hose?   Can someone ID this hose? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1