GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Dusted by Dust Cover

Go down 
+7
Chris W
rick pope
beetle
bioman
lcjohnny
Pete Roper
Bill Hagan
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
scottmastrocinque
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
scottmastrocinque

Dusted by Dust Cover - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:36 pm

Counselor!

I’m shocked and heartbroken.

You know how to get me.  I’m sure I’m still in your contacts list in your phone. 😆

You cannot use flame on those types of “all in one” connectors. (I have thousands in my kits at the workshop so if you need anything more…)

So, in truth, you need to spend a few pesos more, ~ $50 and get a hot air rework station.

That is how you properly use those lovely connectors.  Using one of the air concentrating tips will allow you to direct with precision, the pinpoint stream of (completely controllable temperature) hot air which will melt the solder ring and seal the tube without destroying it in the process or superheating surrounding tidbits.

A rework station also allows you precise shrinking of shrink tube.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:12 am

scottmastrocinque wrote:
Counselor!

I’m shocked and heartbroken.

You know how to get me.  I’m sure I’m still in your contacts list in your phone. 😆

You cannot use flame on those types of “all in one” connectors. (I have thousands in my kits at the workshop so if you need anything more…)

So, in truth, you need to spend a few pesos more, ~ $50 and get a hot air rework station.

That is how you properly use those lovely connectors.  Using one of the air concentrating tips will allow you to direct with precision, the pinpoint stream of (completely controllable temperature) hot air which will melt the solder ring and seal the tube without destroying it in the process or superheating surrounding tidbits.

A rework station also allows you precise shrinking of shrink tube.

Scott,

Almost spewed my morning coffee at your "shocked and heartbroken."  Laughing

I had no idea about that particular item.  Thanks.  It will now join my other tools when competent wrenching artists visit the Moto Grappa studio.  Rolling Eyes

If it helps, the propane torch was meant as a joke for Rick Pope; I used a heat gun for the Haisstronica connectors.   Wink

I suppose, however, I should, for those with strong stomachs who can endure graphic photos of my "work," continue with the latest saga here.

So, after stripping the first lamentable effort, and practicing on a scrap wire …

I went for it on the sensor cable.  I tried to protect the other connectors from “collateral damage,” and that (more or less!) succeeded ...

The end result exceeded my low expectations and even lower standards.   cheers

Ditto the overwrap, tho I know how painful it must be for the sensitive even to see such 7th-grade-shop work.  Bear in mind that I actualy did flunk 7th-grade shop for a shadow-box failure that embarrasses me even to today.   Embarassed

That said, while hardly moto-art, it looks (a wee) bit better than the first try it replaced; scroll up if you care to see that ...

And, despite some shortening of the cable length, it still had enough slack to reconnect to its fitting.  

Sourced some very corrosion-resistant fasteners from McMaster-Carr to replace the (hardly that) OEM that it took a Dremel to remove.  I now have 48 more of those for anyone in dire need of "Super-Corrosion-Resistant 316 Stainless Steel Socket Head Screw, M4 x 0.7 mm Thread, 10 mm Long, Packs of 50."  cheers

I then reinstalled the wheel.  I need to steal some different colors of fingernail polish from Kathi’s so I can figure out my latest witness marks!   queen  Very Happy

Ah, but the tsetse fly in the ointment …  No

Yes.  Stripped the calipers upper mounting threads!   affraid

I always — as in ALWAYS, 100% of the time — use a torque wrench to install and tighten those fasteners to 50Nm, so it is a mystery to me how that happened.  Then again, so much of what happens in the Moto Grappa is a moto-mystery to me.   scratch

I will now have to see about repairing those threads and see if I can’t muck up that, too.

On what I think is the bright side, USPS just texted me to say that the new cable will be in the mailbox today.

No charge for the entertainment I just provided the rest of you who groan as you read my tragicomedies. clown

Actually, my higher priority is R&R'ing the rear tire on the V7 III as I (now) plan to take that to the South'n Spine Raid in Tennessee next week.

Ciao for now ...

Bill

Steak and scottmastrocinque like this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:20 am

Ouch stripped caliper thread...that is a nasty end to the job Sad.

I suppose it may prove the frequently raised point that lubricant on threads reduces the torque used to get any set load on the threads by 20% or so.

If so that is a warning to me.

Back to top Go down
scottmastrocinque
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
scottmastrocinque

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:28 am

I enjoy your posts and reading about your adventures and follies!

You are “Top Shelf” through and through Sir.

My eternal respect and friendship to you. Whenever you need to bounce an idea or ask a question, you know my phone number. Until then, I look forward to Mutton II and spending time with you all in KY again. I also am very excited about Tech Days at the Moto Grappa this next season.

One little suggestion…on any nut or bolt that is not holding something under extreme load (which is 90% of the ones on a motorcycle) the best rule of thumb to avoid stripping threads is this:

“SNUG + 1-3mm additional rotation”

You will never destroy a thread this way and nothing will come apart due to being too loose.

Warmest Regards Bill!

Scott

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:07 am

Bill, Bill, Bill,,,,, You had us so happy for you and your newly refreshed cable, then you went and spoiled it all with that silly thread stripping thing.

Oh, and that torch will work fine, just stand back farther. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
eighteight
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eighteight

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:43 am

Congrats on the Dremel fix

Consider a set of nut / bolt extractor sockets
Basically a female easy out / reversed internal helix bites into the fastener head
Bought a cheap "IRWIN BOLT GRIP" set at the big box store
Works skippy !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dusted by Dust Cover
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2