GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Electrical Accessories

Go down 
+8
GuzziLooper
Triman023
55tburt
jeremyb
Grisonut
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
sidrat
12 posters
AuthorMessage
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Electrical Accessories Empty
PostSubject: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:25 pm

So instead of wasting time, i thought i would post to those that know.

I want to put an electrical accessory on a switched connection (i have an in-line fuse), is there one available on the bike for those? is it independently fused?

If not without taking too much apart where is the best place to wire into?

thanks GRiSO Guru's
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Reverse TARDIS,

You could wire in an automotive type outlet (read cigarette lighter socket) with a switch in front of it (and a fuse) and connect this directly to your battery. Though I am not sure where you would end up putting it on a GRiSO - my Sport has heaps of space in comparison.

Mine had a socket under the seat but it was a right royal pain in the arse to access - especially with luggage on the seat. So I put it so it faces externally through the side of the inner guard, and it has a "light weather" cap - also doubles as a charging point when the battery is feeling unloved. Mine is not switched, but I simply pull what is connected to it (phone/tablet/camera) when I pull into a town and plug it back in when I go to restart the whole shebang. A switch would be easier but I couldn't be arsed.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:59 pm

There's a GPS coupling either under the right wing or tucked up behind the ECU. It's only powered when the key is on. I think it's a Tom Tom style plug.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:47 am

beetle wrote:
...........I think it's a Tom Tom style plug.

Yes it is.
Back to top Go down
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:12 am

...but check the thin wires that feed it ! I wouldn't draw more than about 3Amps from it.
And, I had to add a 3A fuse into position 'F' in the underseat fusebox before I ggot poser to mine.
Back to top Go down
55tburt
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
55tburt

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:23 am

There's always this option
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The connectors will plug into the brake light or tail light circuit and supply switched power.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:01 am

There you go, i knew you guys would know!

I only want to draw 2Amps, so that will be great, i shall take it apart tonight and see.

I am shocked though how tight the thing is built, there is not room anywhere!!
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:47 pm

My GRiSO's Tom Tom plug only gives current when the engine is running, not with key in the on position.
I have a Garmin plugged into it so I don't care. I plug my electric vest into a plug directly attached to the battery.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:20 am

Yeah, I have the same set-up... Garmin hooked up to it, works fine.
Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:57 pm

I am looking to make a couple of electrical improvements to my GRiSO. I want to add an accessory relay and a small fuse block to accomodate a two-port USB charger, the hand warmers (currently connected directly to battery), and a temperature gauge. I have found what appears to be the wiring harness connection to what should have been the pigtail for the Tom Tom GPS (green circle). My question: What make/type of connector is this? It looks to be an updated version of the old Molex connectors and I presume it’s just some generic product as opposed to being Piaggio specific. Does anybody have the part number for the mating connector and contacts, other than via Guzzi? I have the specialty crimpers for these but in the worst case I’d simply clip it an change it out to a weather-pak or Anderson unit. It appears that one of the previous owners has manipulated it and I may have to clip it anyway but I’d prefer to stick with stock parts.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:56 pm

Nope, that's not the Tom-Tom connector.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:13 pm

The wire colours look right, but that's not the original connector. PO must have changed it. If you want to confirm, check you have 12V across it once the engine is running. It's only active then.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:17 pm

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:40 pm

Steak wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. That kit is pretty close to what I would have built on my own, but for $65 it would likely save me about $200 worth of aggravation.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:44 am

Depends on what you want to power. If it is just a USB power outlet for a cellphone or GPS. I used Positaps to tap the small light bulb power leads in the headlight. Going on 6 years without a problem. I wouldnt use this for anything that drew more power.

Many of the other CARC bikes have a GPS power lead in the front loom hidden up by the steering head under the tank. I tapped into that on my Norge and 1200Sport.

Both are switched power.

If you think you are going to add a bunch of accessories and want a switched power block that is fed by the battery, this is very slick. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:48 am

Bulldog9 wrote:
Depends on what you want to power. If it is just a USB power outlet for a cellphone or GPS. I used Positaps to tap the small light bulb  power leads in the headlight. Going on 6 years without a problem. I wouldnt use this for anything that drew more power.

Many of the other CARC bikes have a GPS power lead in the front loom hidden up by the steering head under the tank. I tapped into that on my Norge and 1200Sport.

Both are switched power.

If you think you are going to add a bunch of accessories and want a switched power block that is fed by the battery, this is very slick. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I’m all for building in options and that FZ-1 unit would give a lot of them without using oddball connectors. With a few SAE prewired molded connectors or .250 insulated fastons I’d be able to hook up a broad range of equipment.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:21 am

My first choice is the park light in the headlight, the starter solenoid draws over 30 amps from that circuit so it can easily supply 5 amps and cutting into that is a lot neater than chopping into the main loom.
Of course if you have done the Startus Interuptus fix you have even more available since you have relocated the main draw on that fuse.
If you only need an Amp or two you can add another smaller fuse nearer the load if you like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Accessories   Electrical Accessories Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Electrical Accessories
Page 1 of 1