GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

CARC and swingarm service

Go down 
+22
lcjohnny
JohnA
Evilgarfield
ZumWohl
Pete Roper
griso dreamin
GHTE
sidrat
cognosticator
Bulldog9
Ekimyrf
bahamazoo
beetle
Bill Hagan
Kiwi_Roy
GuZeee
paulbrice
janguzzi
dskustoms
Guzzi Cat
wardentm
guzziownr
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

CARC and swingarm service - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC and swingarm service   CARC and swingarm service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 17, 2021 11:10 pm

paulbrice wrote:
FWIW I never weight down the front end. Without rear wheel, just a plank and brick under sump seems fine. With rear wheel on (or for extra safety) I use an axle stand under the front joint point on the suspension wishbone...or frame crossbeam if you remove the wishbone etc...

That's close to what I had in mind. The luigi hole jug described here is pretty simple if I can find the right pipe diameter I'm still gonna try to create one. But it's good to know that it CAN be lifted from the sump and be secure without the rear wheel.

Pete Roper wrote:

OK, on the subject of adding a bit of loctite 290 to the pinion nut the answer is yes, you can do it without taking it to bits but you don't just squirt a load of it down the throat of the seal holder!

If you look down between the pinion and seal holder in good light you will see the peg nut. Stand the bevelbox up so you can see down there with the pinion facing upwards and then using something like a long, thin screwdriver or even a satay stick positioned on the highest point of the threads of the pinion and nut dribble a few drops of 290 down the stick. As it touches the threads it will wick its way around and hopefully penetrate down the threads,(It is specifically designed to do this on loaded threads.). Leave it sitting for a few hours for a preliminary cure. It won't cure properly until it warms up.

As for connecting the box to the swingarm I use nothing or the thinnest smear of Threebond 1211. Originally no sealant was used but customers whined about oil staining at the joint so the factory started glueing the bevelboxes on with silastic which is a pain in the arse and makes them much harder to remove.

Amazing! Thanks Pete. The loctite is ordered and I hope to be able to do the job this week-end. I'll try to take some pictures and do a little write up if my journey
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: CARC and swingarm service   CARC and swingarm service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue May 18, 2021 9:38 am

Jon; I just put bike on the stand, put a wooden plank (of suitable width) across the sump and put the hydraulic jack underneath and lift the whole lot enough to chuck the bricks in....sometimes takes a few goes to get centre of balance right....then remove the stand

Depending on the width of plank I either let the sidestand bite into the plank & it slightly leans the sump OR it is narrow enough to not foul the stand (I think)

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: CARC and swingarm service   CARC and swingarm service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue May 18, 2021 9:43 am

Will have to try that Paul I think that my lift Sealy 680Kg lift
Is too massive for the job
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: CARC and swingarm service   CARC and swingarm service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 24, 2021 11:12 pm

This week-end I had some time to work on my swingarm.
I tried Paulbrice's way of putting a wooden plank beneath the sump and lift the bike from there but it was way too unstable for me. I don't know if it was due to a not completely level floor or a different weight distribution on a 2v than a 8v but there was no way I would thinker on the bike in those conditions!

I ended up putting together the stand shown here by Kiwi_roy with my very limited wood working equipment. Not the prettiest but it did the job.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The whole procedure went relatively smoothly. The CARC unit had no sealant on the interface and the bolts were in a very good state. I followed Pete's advice to add some loctite 290 on the pinion threads and let the CARC unit sit overnight.

In the meantime, I removed the rest of the swingarm and pulled out the bearings. They had no grease on them but were in good state even though that service was never made and the bike has 36K km. I cleaned them well and then added plenty of grease on the bearings and the races.

While the bike was dismantled, I also took the occasion to remove the old shock and grease the needle bearings (dropping none!) in the suspension assembly.

The rubber button that absorbs the energy when bottoming out was completely destroyed on my stock shock!

I then fitted the 2nd had stelvio shock that was delivered to me 2 days ago. I had a short panic attack when trying to align simultaneously the bottom eyelet of the suspension with the swingarm and the carc eyelet with control arm. The shock seemed too long for both locations to align at the same time. All went well though when I realized that the CARC eyelet can move and allowed the swingarm to lower enough to fit the longer shock. I set the prelaod to 15 clicks from fully unwound and the compression dampening to 24 clicks form fully closed. I will have to ride more to tune it.

The rest of the reassembly went very smoothly. I had to tighten the preload bushing by feel as I did not have a castle tool and used a C-spanner. I'll keep an eye on that.

Finally, I used the fact that the bike was on the stand to change the engine oil. The filter was a pain in the ass to access and remove. How the hell do you do that with so little clearance ?! I added 3.2L of oil (manual says 3.6L). I'll ride a bit and check the level again. Is the v2 like the v8 in the sense that it's better to be closer to the MIN mark than the MAX one?

Thanks everyone for all the infos that you provide on this forum. I would never have tried (or though about) that otherwise. Now it seems that the weather will finally be better in the coming week so that I can try all thew new improvements!

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: CARC and swingarm service   CARC and swingarm service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 2:45 am

Your bike (& the second hand Stelvio shock) looks in great condition & nice job done !. Oil filter should be easy if you are using a cup socket wrench (14 flutes for most filter brands); & as long as you check the rubber seal isn't left in the sump.
Back to top Go down
mikebr
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
mikebr

PostSubject: Re: CARC and swingarm service   CARC and swingarm service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:05 am

Took my swingarm off and the Carc, and everything had grease on which I regreased replaced the shock with a new Hyperpro shock and also the front springs with Hyperpro so will be interesting how its ride, leaftman60 tutorial was a great help and also Pete Roper for the Loctite 290 the only thing that worried me was when I left the carc sitting horizontal for a couple of days it started leaking but hopefully now bolted up it should be good drained and replaced the oil , would post pics but I'm an old fart and tried but the pics didn't stay the way I wanted.

SMTCapeCod likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: CARC and swingarm service   CARC and swingarm service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:16 pm

janguzzi wrote:
paulbrice wrote:
...I don't personally think you need the castle nut tool as it's not a tight bolt...... nasty whistling noise your bikes making, even with the engine not running Wink....
Very Happy
The funny thing is that YouTube now "thinks" that AC/DC is filtered out but you can still hear it.

You can have any kind of music playing just no radio as it has adverts, dont worry about copyright that shit is just to scare you.
First time you use it youtube will seem to freak just ignore them and they will add the relevant copyright to your video.
I have made several videos with sound tracks, ahem, but nothing of interest to you f*ckers except maybe a day out to the beach.
I used to use royalty free but that shit gets boring here's some U2 instead Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CARC and swingarm service   CARC and swingarm service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

CARC and swingarm service
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3