GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE

Go down 
+13
Birch
jeremyb
Charlie J
mark111
Hacky
Converted Duc
Oz1200Guzzi
boxerscott
nev
Pete Roper
beetle
Grisonut
waterbottle
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:40 am

At the very least get a heavier spring for the back or your trip will be a misery and you may end up with damages suspension components. I weighed 100kg and even with the compression damping wound up full I beat the shit out of the bump-stop rubber in three months. Think about that before you set off two-up to Spain.

Pete
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:00 pm

Two up with a bit of luggage you may want to wind the spring rates up , The rear shock will almost certainly bottom out on the bigger bumps
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:53 pm

From the factory, the rear spring already has heaps of pre-load wound on, an indication that it is softly sprung. Anything more than an 80kg load and it needs upgrading.
Unless you and your misses weigh less than 40kg each ......................... scratch

Doesn't mean you are in trouble, just that it will be way less than ideal.
In Asia they can fit a family of 9 on a scooter, check out the bucket..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:14 pm

I think it was Ghezzi that explained it this way, If the springs are to soft , you end up winding in more and more damping to compensate and prevent bottoming, resulting in a harder ride
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:53 pm

Fork Cartridge bolt and Copper sealing washer , mine leaked ....... Arse
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:54 pm

Rons fix 
The Oring shown is a little big, might pick up a couple of the next smaller section Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:12 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:10 am

All fixed , A 10 x 1 mm oring was perfect Thumbs Up
I would strongly recommend not re-using the original copper washers unless you anneal them. ( heat with torch until glowing red, then quench in water. this softens copper as it's a non ferrous metal ( steel hardens as it contains carbon )
If anyone would like these steel washers and Orings, I have quite a few spares. Cost = Postage only

Last edited by waterbottle on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:14 am

All this talk about suspension has caught my eye. Pete, David told me when I got the bike that you had sorted the front end, do you remember what you actually did to it? Riding the bike the front feels good to me but the back is way too soft for my uuuuum not so svelte body mass.

Reading the above post makes me start to understand why on the last spirited ride on NSW back roads it felt like the shock was bottoming out and I was getting lifted from saddle a few times. Any tips on guru in Sydney
Back to top Go down
Hacky
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Hacky

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:54 pm

I had my OEM shock resprung and valved at Teknik Motorsport at Penrith back in April. The result is pretty good the cost was around $540.00. Tossing up what to do with the front suspension, get Teknik to respring etc or go for cartridge inserts.
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:06 am

sounds ok, they would need to get a spring for me as well. I'll give them a yell and have a chat.
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:49 am

Sam,
Terry Hay at "Shock Treatment" can also do this work.
He rebuilt my rear shock and forks on my old GRiSO which was a significant improvement.
He is out at Wallacia and you can send the parts to him or take a ride out there and his guys will do the whole job while you wait.
It would take about half a day to finish the work so if you use him take a book as there is nothing to do while you wait as his workshop is at his semi rural property.
Probably worth ordering a new rear shock top mounting bolt as they can bend if there has been a lot of bottoming out.
This had happened on my newer Tenni GRiSO which we discovered when I replaced the rear shock.
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:29 am

Yep as Mark 111 says , Terry Hay can transform your bike. I took my 1100 to him a coupla years ago and seein as how I havent got richer in the interim I will probly take my 1200 and Wifeys V7 to him to sort em out. A book will be good but you can ask lotsa questions as well
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:25 am

Thanks boys, I'll make some calls, easier than shedding weight. Smile
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:35 am

Spent the day at Lakeside Raceway in Brisbane today, first test of the new Matris fork and Ohlins rear shock upgrades. Shocked The difference in the stability and handling is like night and day
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:18 pm

Up ya go Ron.
Back to top Go down
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:00 pm

I installed these Matris fork inserts last year, and it was (as Roper-san would say) a real Front-Bottom of a job. (did I pronounce that correctly  tongue   )

I have a full set of installation tools if anyone wants to borrow them:
- Racetech spring compressor
- Racetech rod-lifting tool
- thin 17mm wrench
- oil level gauge
You can't really do this job without these tools, or equivalent.

If you need them, let me know and I'll ship them. Then send them back (no rush - I really don't want to ever do this job again), or forward to the next sucker person.
I'll ship em anywhere, but I'm in Florida and it may not be economic to the Antipodes or Blighty.
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:11 am

Jeremy,

Might take you up on that offer. I'm thinking of this as a winter project in Chicago.
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Sure,let me know when (PM is probably best).
Winter in Chicago arrives,what, Sept 1st Very Happy
(said with a smug Florida accent).

I highly recommend this Geegaw, but Matris are prototypically Italian:
Great looking product, performs really really well, delivery times optimistic and instructions/documentation really suck !
There's plenty of much better installation instructions all over the Guzzi forums.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:33 pm

I have yet to put my second set in the street bike, if anyone's interested I could do up some photos, or with some tech help a video Question
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:57 pm

Good idea Ron, I already have mine done but would like to see the process documented if I need to pull them apart.
If you are going to the Ragged Fringe this year I wouldn't mind getting a couple of your fork seal washers and Orings, if not I will pm you to organise postage.
Mark
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:43 pm

I'll try to remember to bring some down Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:31 am

Spent the day fitting a Wilbers shock and Matris cartridge kits to the forks on Rosso. Video recorded but having trouble sorting it on the puter . To be continued............
Back to top Go down
knumbnutz
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
knumbnutz

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:07 am

Any recommended suppliers of sus bits in OZ ? Thinking to go matris front and rear or wilbers out back.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:17 am

I deal with Izzy at ‘Suspensions R Us’ in Melbourne Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE   Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Matris Fork Cartridges / DONE
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next