GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions

Go down 
+20
Buellbloke
RedMogAndy
Clancy
Macgyver
Doc.
lcjohnny
Oz1200Guzzi
pauldaytona
EricS
GHTE
waterbottle
BBB888
Nobleswood
voulga77
Brent S
wyno
Pete Roper
guzziownr
paulbrice
sidrat
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:24 am

Thanks for good info Jon Smile
So basically what I need is a spring that has the same dimension as the original (57x188), but just stiffer...
My ready-to-go-weight is 80-85 kg, -maybe the original one is stiff enough?
If not, I would be happy to get some links, since I can't find any local suppliers at a first glance...
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:51 pm

These are the faulkner springs at Demon Tweeks  demon tweeks (cheaper than getting them from Faulkner themselves).

Brook suspension do longer springs so a better fit but you need to contact them for the spring you want as their springs are now listed by bike, not by dimension, - and they no longer list for the GRiSO Brook spring linky
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:41 pm

Or, just pony up for a brand spanking new shock of decent quality and don't fool with trying to get the right springs/preload/etc. I bought a shock from GTM on the advice of my dealer, and have been very pleased so far. I have a couple thousand miles on it and am happy with the settings as shipped.

I don't remember what I paid, which is a good indicator that I'm happy enough to not care. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:54 pm

The Hagon seems to be the best bang for buck, about £400 sprung to weight, its very popular with all guzzi people in the UK.
Its about £250 these days for a used imported Stelvio shock and a new spring.
Have heard of the pre load adjuster failing too so there is also that to consider.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:20 pm

I have an 11kg/mm 185mm spring in red, scratches from removal and refitting but £10 plus postage?
Back to top Go down
svru
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
svru

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:54 pm

bjor wrote:

If not, I would be happy to get some links, since I can't find any local suppliers at a first glance...

Motorspeed.no will happily supply you with the yellow Ohlin ones. I have tried a 140N/mm, but ended with a 110, search for "SPRING 57/180/110". About your weight and happy with original performance, not great, but acceptable.
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:06 am

lcjohnny wrote:
I have an 11kg/mm 185mm spring in red, scratches from removal and refitting but £10 plus postage?

Thanks for the offer, could be interesting!
I'll check out the local supplier that Svein tells about first.

However, with my 75 kg + gear, could 11 kg/mm be to much?
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:50 am

svru wrote:
bjor wrote:

Motorspeed.no will happily supply you with the yellow Ohlin ones. I have tried a 140N/mm, but ended with a 110, search for "SPRING 57/180/110".

So you think  110 N/mm would be suitable for a 75 kg + gear-fellow?
(kunne jo skrive på norsk også, men...)
mvh Bjørn
Back to top Go down
svru
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
svru

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:07 pm

Original is undersprung. The spring action is not that different in area you use the most. Difference is mostly at full compression. A heavy spring can be more plush initially as you need less preload. Problem for me with the 140 spring was almost zero preload to get close to a SAG at the very sporty side. But the 110 sits about perfect at 10mm preload and SAG at about 33mm. Original preload is about 19mm.

I think weight difference between us is less than 5 kg. I used the be 10 kg more than today, but even now when using light riding gear I am still happy with the shock. The bike is really stable and likes a bit of inspired cornering action. It is sporty at the firm side.
I have installed Mupo valves in the front.

Added: the shock is more adjustable with a more suitable spring.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:05 am

Thanks for good and clarifying info, Svein!
Maybe we meet on the road this summer Smile
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:00 am

GRiSO shocker
The actual wheel and suspension travel of a both the GRiSO standard shock absorger and the Selvio shocker is much worse than the manual says.
only 90mm for the GRiSO and only 101mm for the Stelvio shock

I measured the GRiSO ratio of wheel movement to suspension unit movement by mounting the shock body with no spring, all linkages tight and measured the wheel movement as the shock absorber compressed in 5mm increments until the bike was lifting off the stand on the bump stop rubbers the ratio varies slightly over it's stroke from 2:1 to 2.4:1 and back. The average was 2.225:1

GRiSO shock -compressed length 285mm (against soft bumpstop) +  shock stroke of 35mm gives 80mm wheel travel to the softish bump stop then another 10mm till lifting the wheel lifts the whole bike so maybe 90mm in total.

Stelvio shock -compressed length 285mm (against hard bumpstop) + shock stroke of 45.5mm gives 99mm wheel travel the bump stop is so firm that maybe another 2mm till till lifting the wheel lifts the whole bike, so maybe 101mm total.

As it only offers 11mm more wheel travel I think that the major advantage of the Stelvio shock is a 24mm higher ride height as it is longer when fully extended (if the spring rate and preload is high enough to support it).

Standard spring rate of 9.69 Kg/mm only seems enough for riders of 65Kg or less, 105Kg riders seem to need 13 Kg/mm.

Last edited by lcjohnny on Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:50 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Re-measured - more accuracy)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 5 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5