12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sidrat
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:55 am

That is a beautiful looking thing.

But its more than £200 delivered

and it doesn't solve the spring rate or increase the stroke of the shock

but it is a lovely looking piece of kit
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:23 pm

But it does alter the rising rate ratio, so now we move into the 5th dimension of suspension tuning.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Nobleswood
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Saw this last night:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wondering if anyone has used this shock or have opinions about it ? Ghezzi?
Back to top Go down
BBB888
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:33 am

'When Matris build their shocks they take all the information they have available (rider weight and type of riding use as well as what they know about the bike itself), and they set up the shock to what they believe will be the best all round solution given the information. Given Matris’ considerable expertise in this field, most people to whom we supply their products are very happy with the supplied settings, however sometimes adjustments will need to be made.'

Doesnt really explain why a 78kg rider and a 103kg rider are supplied with the same 135N spring rate.

'suggest setting the Compression at 14-16 clicks and the Rebound at 20 clicks'

'and optimum sag between 40mm and 45mm'

I'll have a play with it at the weekend and see what the result is.
Biketorque will offer an exchaneg Spring - but only once - and say that Matris stick by their recommendation of 135N.

Pete Roper could you tell me what Spring rate you have and your weight? And what spring rate anyone else with a Matris might have along with their weight?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:22 am

When I swap it out, sure. I don't have the time or, unfortunately the health, to do it right away.

I always thought I had a pretty good grasp on suspension but I'm learning a lot from people like Wayne and Sdrat.
Back to top Go down
BBB888
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 am

Well from what I have gleaned from the forums;
Standard shock - 9.7kg spring - rate generally considered good for up to 85kg rider.
Many seem happy between 85kg and 100kg with 11.7kg spring
Over 100kgs slightly unknown - but 11.7kgs +
Back to top Go down
sidrat
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 am

*****UPDATE*****
Ok, so i put almost 300 miles on it now and made a change.

Previously if you have read the thread i ran GRiSO with the standard shock, with no static sag and the front forks dropped to the 5th Ring. It steered lovely, its what makes it such an underrated star. Problems like ground clearance soft rear spring and slapping bars made me put the Stelvio shock in, with settings outlined previously.

It solved most of the problems, but i don't like the steering, that natural neutral steering has gone and instead it pushes the front tyre and takes more effort, the rest is great, but i really wanted the steering sensation back. Today raised the front end from 5 rings showing back to 2 rings and low and behold the steering is back to its wondrous self.

So now i now have a GRiSO that is simply an inch higher at the back and 3/4 inch higher at the front, the steering is great, ground clearance endless, no saggy back end with the stringer spring and still no flapping of the bars when pushed, i am very happy. As you can see from the piccy it just looks like an ordinary GRiSO but on tip toes.

Its also back to the original riding position too and you are not pushed into the tank.

I will now make up something to increase the length of the side stand, as the picture doesn't show how much it now leans over!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:01 pm

Win Win Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:50 pm

Guys, I am keen to obtain a second hand Stelvio shock. I had one on my previous GRiSO 850 and loved it and I am sure my new to me 1100 will also benefit. Please PM me if there is one out there./
Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:15 pm

I'm thinking the same thing & will keep a look out on craigslist/ebay etc
Back to top Go down

Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: