GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO running on one cylinder?

Go down 
+3
Pete Roper
beetle
davper
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
davper
Carlotto
Carlotto
davper

GRiSO running on one cylinder? Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:52 pm

In an effort to not throw parts at the bike and definitely avoid bringing it to the dealer i figured I would try posting.

While riding down the highway the bike lost power dramatically.  I got it off the highway and found it making far more mechanical noise than usual and it really didn't want to rev.  

Ive searched the topic extensively and everything says replace spark plug boots, well i did that last fall.  I checked for spark and its there.  I pulled the spark plugs and the left side plug was very sooty and seemed a little wet with fuel.  I looked over the wires and boots and installed old plugs i had saved thinking maybe the spark plug has an issue, started it up but no luck.  Still very noisy and revs very poorly.  Both exhaust pipes did begin to warm up, but the left wasn't as warm as the right if that means anything.  

My next thought was to replace the spark plug wires, but figured i would hold off until i checked here.  Any ideas what might be causing this?  Any chance the coil is giving a weak spark?  Any help is much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:08 pm

When you replaced the spark plug boots, were they stock boots, or the acclaimed NGK ones?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
davper
Carlotto
Carlotto
davper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:02 am

NGK's as recommended.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:42 am

Spark problem is the most likely. You should at least watch the left side in the dark to confirm you're not getting any arcing. Check the connections on the coils as well.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:49 am

This, my thought is still spark, it's just so typical.
Back to top Go down
davper
Carlotto
Carlotto
davper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:16 am

Any diagnostic suggestions?  My next thought was to switch the wire and plug boot from side to side and see if the issue migrates or stays. That should help prove or disprove the wire/plug boot as the culprit .......hopefully.

Probably a silly question but is exhaust temp a good indicator of how a cylinder is firing?  As I stated the left side exhaust was warm after running but not as warm as the right after idling for 30-45 seconds. I'm looking for an accurate way to tell if the issue swaps sides or not.

Thanks for your help in this topic.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:56 am

If the cylinder isn't firing properly, the exhaust will run cooler, so yes, it's an indication of a combustion issue.

Any error codes logged?

Swapping the wiring to see if the fault follows is an easy (and good) diagnostic test.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
davper
Carlotto
Carlotto
davper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:33 am

No error codes
Back to top Go down
davper
Carlotto
Carlotto
davper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:14 am

Also if the plug wire and boot swap fails I was thinking of swapping coils from side to side after that.
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:24 am

What year is your GRiSO from?
Back to top Go down
davper
Carlotto
Carlotto
davper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:39 am

Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:35 am

Has it been rollerized?
Back to top Go down
davper
Carlotto
Carlotto
davper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:20 pm

came roller from factory.
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:37 pm

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Than I would indeed toss the right and left ignition parts out. I was a bit worried about the "mechanical noise" part.
Back to top Go down
davper
Carlotto
Carlotto
davper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:04 am

Swapped plug wires and both sides seem to be heating up fairly evenly but it's still lacking power and sounds very loud. Then swapped coils same result. I think I might be out of ideas. Unless someone has another idea it may be heading to the shop for a summer vacation.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:07 am

Check the header nuts haven't come loose.

scratch

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:12 am

*Loud*? In what way? Mechanical type loud or 'Frappa-Frappa' exhaust type loud?

If it sounds like an exhaust leak also check the pretzel for cracks and splits. They're near the lambda sensor and will play bloody havoc and mayhem with the closed loop fueling if you're not running an open loop map.
Back to top Go down
davper
Carlotto
Carlotto
davper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:23 am

The noise is more mechanical and clunky coming from what seems like the left side not exhaust, but I checked and it's ok. I remember years back starting the bike with one plug wire disconnected (rushing to get finished) and it made a lot more noise than usual. I just can't remember it it was this much. I think I'm starting to over analyze all the symptoms.

Left plug is really dark and sooty I think it got to be spark related. I'm fairly certain it's an issue with the left cylinder. Top end looks ok and when I rotate motor everything seems to be functioning and moving as it should.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:27 am

Before we go any further can we know what year this bike is?
Back to top Go down
davper
Carlotto
Carlotto
davper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 am

2012 with factory roller cam
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Blow by problem? What's your oil level like? Check for oil in the airbox.

scratch

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:38 pm

For a start check valve clearance on the both cylinders, (easy job) so we can rule out any problems with the valve gear.
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Pete will help you Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
davper
Carlotto
Carlotto
davper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 pm

The oil level is fine, about half way between the lines on the dip stick.  Right about where i filled it to last November.  Inside the airbox is another story.  Beneath the air filter is clean, but when i opened the inspection cover under the battery it's not only oily but there is grit and pollen in there as well.  

New question, how is dirt getting in the airbox?  If the area under the filter is clean how is it getting in??  Im getting a bad feeling about this......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO running on one cylinder?   GRiSO running on one cylinder? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO running on one cylinder?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next