GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Throttle Body balancing

Go down 
+40
lcjohnny
Oz1200Guzzi
Buellbloke
Street
JohnA
Kiwi_Roy
DaSwami
Richard
wyno
josv
usedtobefast
avgpetro
bahamazoo
GuzziSteve
bar1976
PJPR01
LACKADAISICAL
Guzzi Cat
cognosticator
kiwi dave
Omnis
paulbrice
cachnutz
wardentm
FrogGuzzi
f-man
little750
Tolle09
waterbottle
bradbusa
Birch
voulga77
Uzidzit
Steak
NorthBayGriso
swagzz
guzziownr
Pete Roper
beetle
wardest
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:57 pm

Morgan Carbtune. 'Nuff said.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:50 pm

beetle wrote:

Morgan Carbtune. 'Nuff said.

I prefer the twin max.  It compares the amount of suck in each inlet port, and balances the differential.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I had mine for over forty years.  Still going strong.

groundhog105 likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:37 pm

Well I've had my Carbtune since the Silurian Era. When I was riding 4 cylinder Suzuki's. Or was that the Pre-Cambrian Era?  scratch

Nyer!  Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:00 am

beetle wrote:

Well I've had my Carbtune since the Silurian Era. When I was riding 4 cylinder Suzuki's. Or was that the Pre-Cambrian Era?  scratch

Nyer!  Razz

Am with you dude, am still trying to wrap my head around why people are using Power Commanders and Booster Plugs when they could be running a much better Beetle map Question
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:20 pm

I got "offered" a booster plug when I purchased my V85 a few weeks back. Surprised at where the offer came from too.

Some disappointment in all that.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:17 pm

Had a carbtune since the cambrian (when i was employed spannering on T140s)  

it wore out.  the steel rods scratch in the tubes until the stiction becomes really F*%king frustrating.

Bought a pair of cheap dial gauges (Bourdon type) swapped them over to check calibration and speed of respnse (it turns out that A reads 4% higher than B) marked them with the variation and that is it done.

Buellbloke likes this post

Back to top Go down
BBB888
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BBB888

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:57 am

Having ridden my GRiSO around London for the past 10 days I am more aware of low rev fuelling glitches. Seems almost like it runs on 1 pot until 3/3500 rpm when it all smooths out. Anyway, looked on the BSD website (UK dyno tuner) who smoothed out my KTM990 years ago, and found that they have done a GRiSO:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Think I'll give them a go, unless anyone has better suggestion?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:11 am

Have you checked the plug caps aren't arcing to the rocker cover?
Back to top Go down
BBB888
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BBB888

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:55 am

No, but I will! My description of the lumpy low down feeling as if its running on one not two is a slight exaggeration! Just that it all smooths out at 3/3500rpm and although I think I have the 068 Map it might be worth a trip to BSD to fine tune it. All these noises and lumpy running only being noticed as I am riding in the City for the past week and probably another week whilst my Vespa is off the road!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:00 am

Are the throttle bodies balanced correctly? Is the tune correct? Also the 68S map was originally developed for the flat tappet motor. I've never run it in a roller bike. That might be a factor in low speed behaviour.
Back to top Go down
BBB888
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BBB888

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:04 am

Thanks. Was serviced in 2019 at Twiggers in UK but hasn't done much since due to Lockdown, until recently. So throttle bodies should be balanced but I will check. Map is just what I understood from some distant memory but could be wrong - Ill check! I've just treated her to a full fresh tank of 'super unleaded' to avoid the E10 and at a cost of £1.53 a litre!
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri May 27, 2022 4:01 pm

Mine came with PCV/Autotune (and a rat nest of associated wiring).   I excised those and replaced with Beetle map and thought that it ran better.  Fast forward many months, I was on a 4 hour ride and it seemed to get rough at the halfway point.  Only 4K, but fingers crossed and, after doing plugs and wires, and checking exhaust for big leak(s), going in to do the valves-balance-TPS reset.  Additional alternative device attached.  Costs a bit more but comes with fittings and hose, is from a small business and made in  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , so that's what we do.  We'll see.  "Digi Sync", available in 2/4/6 configuraions.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri May 27, 2022 4:37 pm

Does one also need to worship Cthulhu?

scratch

In GRiSO we trust!

SMTCapeCod likes this post

Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri May 27, 2022 4:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]     Laughing

I'm thinking "FSM", given its noodly appendages!
We'll see how tomorrow goes, I'm likely to invoke all of those and then some!

I used to think that I would eventually mature out of...then retire from....the "fix it 'til its good an broke" club.  However, I'm still rocking emeritus status.   I still enjoy the learning, but have some trepidation now at the first attempt at anything and truly hate the subsequent do-overs that seem to be inevitable now.  I was pretty decent at wrench stuff when I was young.  That's somehow gone.    /end vent.   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Transplant
Carlotto
Carlotto
Transplant

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:54 am

Yes maybe too hot on left cylinder. Will not idle below1400 rpm. Haven't gone to third tank refill yet. Mpg for second tank is 53 mpg. 3300 to 3500 is Sweet Zone! Rev limiter is set for 68 or 7000 tops. I have my Littman stethoscope from my working days. Mechanically I can adjust the closing of each throttle body closer then it is now. Then I will check the air bleed on both TBs. I will pop a valve cover and see if it's a roller engine plus valve adjustment check. Nothing radical on this part. Stay tuned. I took the day off to finally get to this part.

Transplant likes this post

Back to top Go down
Transplant
Carlotto
Carlotto
Transplant

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:58 pm

Gas tank is moved and now I get to make the next discoveries. I will try to use photos taken today and tomorrow. (picture=1000s of words. The "up side" is that I can fix this. With the advice and support here it's almost guaranteed. We can start with MG ORIGINAL spark plug wires. Both air beads are screwed up tight fully compressing those little springs. Nothing I have done changes the high idle...so far. Back to the section here on balancing. There is a throttle position sensor. There is also a four pin connector dangling with nothing to connect to. One of the photos I will send are the tiny connecting rods with a roller over the cam lobes!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:25 pm

The rev limiter is set in the map. The flashing triangle is simply a gear change indicator and can be changed in the 'Settings' menu.

The four pin plug is likely the lambda sensor plug. If it is disconnected and there isn't a 'Service' warning exhibited on the dash then the bike is running an open loop map.

Before attempting to adjust anything on the throttlebodies you will need to get cables and download Guzzidiag and acquire a manometer for balancing the TB's. The 1400 idle may just be the result of worn throttlebodies but make sure ALL the hoses and drains on the airbox are attached, undamaged and in the case of the drains, plugged and ensure the air filter is clean and NOT an aftermarket type like a K&N or BMC or the like.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:12 pm

tiny connecting rods with a roller over the cam lobes.
Sounds like a roller motor.

Transplant likes this post

Back to top Go down
Transplant
Carlotto
Carlotto
Transplant

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:45 pm

Thanks for the guidance Pete. You might want to refer to this mornings post in the "garage & busted knuckles section. I am out of time today but tomorrow I promise to go through my downloads for repair and replace. There are colored photos but right now it looks like there is more then just the entire airbox missing. The entire crankcase and gearbox venting has been altered and replaced. Tell me how to PM you as this is wild stuff and I took photos. I will ascertain that they have possibly the stepper motor removed andif the ECU shares the bracket with the airbox..all I have is the empty bracket. I will check this before posting or pm you if you tell me how. I called my message the "rabbit hole" for good reason. I will be back tomorrow with my autopsy results. BTW it is or has been converted to rollers. This alone causes more questions. I'M having fun with a look of disbelief and wonder of what's next? I do have a plan "B". I paid book value for a bike worth a couple grand less. Then another almost two grand to fly out and have to U Haul back because it was not nearly road worthy with no rear brake along with what I didn't know or went unanswered when I asked. I should have walked away. I can easily buy any of the used classified Grisos this is an intervention to fix what never should have happened to such a fine engineering example of a motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body balancing   Throttle Body balancing - Page 5 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Throttle Body balancing
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5