GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Broken reaction rod bracket

Go down 
+9
BrianD
Guzzi Cat
Stromgriso
ratso88
bahamazoo
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
McCarthy1983
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

Broken reaction rod bracket Empty
PostSubject: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:19 pm

While investigating various luggage points ahead of a trip, I noticed some play in the reaction rod. This is what I found. Looks like the rod has worn through the bracket completely and the reaction rod is no longer attached the the sub frame at all at the swing arm end of the pivot. This really doesn’t look good. Is it fixable? Anyone in South East of UK know a decent Guzzi spanner? Really worried about this as looks a bit of a mess.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:27 pm

You don't need a mechanic, you need a welder/frame repair person. Someone to fabricate a new bracket and weld it up.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Ok, great, doesn’t sound so bad then. Just need to find a solid welder. Is this a common problem?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:48 pm

WARNING - disconnect your battery, ecu and dash before you weld on the frame - if not done, a fry up will probably ensue.

I know this is a PITA, but worth doing...

Eddy currents, I say, eddy currents!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:16 pm

McCarthy1983 wrote:
Ok, great, doesn’t sound so bad then. Just need to find a solid welder. Is this a common problem?

When there's issues with that part of the rod, it's usually a loose bolt enlargening the holes. I've seen that a few times. I wouldn't call it common, however. I reckon this is what's happened, only it got so bad that bracket has disintegrated.

Mine has loosened a few times. I got chastised about it by Big Mike. Even after he torqued it up, it came loose. I check it every time I change the oil, or before a big trip. I usually go over all the engine bolts etc.

People, check your rod.

Also, do as Tony says. Disconnect the battery, dash and ECU before it's welded.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:28 pm

I felt compelled to check mine again. Sure enough. I got almost a full turn on the nut. Arse!

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:49 pm

New Nylock nut and Loctite 243.

Pete, (Who hasn't checked his for a while.)
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:56 pm

egads..... I'm off to check my rod now....

edit: toight like a toiga
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Must check mine too - there has been signs of wear in the past. Rally coming up in around 8 weeks, so it's "on the list"!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
New Nylock nut and Loctite 243.

Good idea. I thinks I'll do that.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 pm

Feel like a little inexperience on my part has played a role here and lesson has certainly been learnt. Lucky no further damage.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:42 am

My nut was toight as. Gotta love nylock nuts
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 am

I usually have my wife check my rod but as a precaution I'm headed to the shop now.
Back to top Go down
Stromgriso
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stromgriso

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:53 am

Good lessons here! Thanks for sharing, checking this today!Basketball
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 am

ratso88 wrote:
I usually have my wife check my rod but as a precaution I'm headed to the shop now.

Very Happy agree Ratso88, the ladies just seem to have the knack! but the shop just in case?

Mine had some play because the hole was wore oval, got it in time and welded a heavy washer in place with the right size hole, that fixed it, but it pays to keep a check that it hasn’t loosened before it does damage.
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:16 am

Getting the damage checked out by a fabricator and welder friend of mine. Just thinking, while the rod is off, is it worth replacing the the bolt, nut and silent block with new parts? Also, along with disconnecting ECU, Battery and Dash, how much of the back end will need to be taken off in order to grind off the old bracket and weld a new one on?
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:08 pm

I think that a mobile welder may suit you better. Can't actually recoomend anyone in Kent, but if you have a google there are various welder services.

If not give a couple of bike shops or custon bike shops a bell to see who they can recommend
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Whoops, should have read your last post Smile
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:36 pm

McCarthy1983 wrote:
Getting the damage checked out by a fabricator and welder friend of mine. Just thinking, while the rod is off, is it worth replacing the the bolt, nut and silent block with new parts? Also, along with disconnecting ECU, Battery and Dash, how much of the back end will need to be taken off in order to grind off the old bracket and weld a new one on?

Might be a good opportunity to pull the swing arm and check/grease the bearings. Would also give your welder more room.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:44 pm

Crap....
Better check mine, it was ok when I did the grease thing awhile back but never checked since ..
Thanks for the reminder
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:56 pm

Just out of interest, is the bracket that the rod attaches to a separate part? A welder I know has suggested a fix rather re fabricating a new bracket by welding a plate either side in the original broken one. The only issue I foresee is the rod will be out of line by a couple of mm, would this cause any issues?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:08 pm

No, it's part of the frame.

I don't think it's super critical. 1 or 2mm won't be disastrous. You could always shim it.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks beetle, going to show my lack of knowledge, what do you mean when you say you could always shim it. Looks like you have done a repair job yourself?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:09 pm

No, that's the factory less than stellar welding.

If your welder plans to weld plates either side of the original, you could add spacers (shim) to centre the rod. However, I think you're talking about welding new plates on the outer sides, thus offsetting the rod. Correct?

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Hey, I understand now. Welder initially suggested one inside one outside, therefore offsetting. But your suggestion makes sense.

Another question, will need to take off the right side foot rest plate. Once that’s off, does that mean my Becker technik lifter cannot be used?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Broken reaction rod bracket
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next