GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

It was looked after by an Engineer.....

Go down 
+18
guzziownr
wyno
bahamazoo
Sport1200
waterbottle
GuzziSteve
V11
wardest
Street
PilotJet
Pisano
sidrat
marcdavo
Bill Hagan
Grisonut
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
Pete Roper
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sport1200
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Sport1200

It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat May 11, 2019 10:05 pm

I shall Tony! Look forward to seeing you!
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat May 11, 2019 11:39 pm

bahamazoo wrote:
well known parable... the mechanic always has the worst car in the street.
The exceptions to this rule are Pete and Michael.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 12, 2019 2:59 am

My cars aren't maintained by me. I'm now able to pay someone else to bust their arse on that stuff. I hate working on cars.

When I did do my own cars they were generally shitty and only ran from week to week, it's all I could afford at the time. Safe, but shitty.

I'm not sure the metaphor is accurate.

Michaels car was always immaculate.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 12, 2019 3:04 am

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 12, 2019 3:22 am

Nothing to be embarrassed about! Just an observation based on my own experience. I took no offence mate! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 12, 2019 7:52 am

There was a fellow in my area who was Guzzi-mad. He had two Eldorados and an early v7 Sport. The Sport had an Evan Wilcox hand-beaten Cafe fairing among other nice vintage touches.

I asked what he did for a living and he said he was an engineer!

I commented that it fit, considering the high standard of his bikes.

He replied, "I drive a train David..."
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 16, 2019 10:17 pm

The sad thing about these types of scenarios, is that it typically takes far less effort to do the job correctly, than it does to hack it all to shit and deal with a new set of consequences. Not only is the service information readily available with a 2-second internet search, but you have a wealth of information from the experts on a forum such as this one. Why wouldn't you want to know WTF you're doing, before actually doing it??

(I've worked in a small Benz garage most of my adult life, I could tell endless stories along these lines. Sadly, this is the status quo, you can't even get a motorcycle tire installed in the area without the brainless tech gouging the wheel and somehow improperly balancing the thing despite a computer directing how much weight is required, and where. I've always maintained my own bikes, even doing warranty/recall work on my nickel rather than hand it over to someone who has no pride in their work.)
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri May 17, 2019 1:06 am

Having workshop manual & doing a proper job aren't always correlated....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am

paulbrice wrote:
Having workshop manual & doing a proper job aren't always correlated....

Ha! Sad, but true. When I bought my last Aprilia, it had about 100 miles on the clock, but had sat for many years unused. After the dealer "got 'er runnin'" again before listing the sale, the carnage on what was essentially a new bike was unbelievable. $20 ebay Chinese fuel pump with the wrong hoses (not fuel submersible) and wrong clamps, stripped threads, rounded hardware, everything you can imagine. The hardware for the injector holders was cross-threaded right into the housing. I lucked out and found a NOS throttle body set for a song...  afro
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 19, 2019 10:32 am

I'm an engineer....a heating engineer ha !I've always worked on my own bikes though for the past forty years, and successfully rollerised my Sport about a month ago.I was a bit nervous doing the left hand cylinder with the screwdriver down the chain tensioner sketch, and what the outcome would be if i broke the tensioner blade.All went well though and i've done 2k miles since.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 19, 2019 10:42 am

Yes, it takes a bunch of high-tech tools. It does not require you to go to college. Even a poor IL farmboy can do it.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: RR Dipstick Late GRiSO *NEW*   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 19, 2019 6:05 pm

Part # 300033070, 152mm for late (2015+) GRiSO. It has never been installed, or monkeyed with in any way.

$55 includes free Priority shipping in the US. I don't mind shipping overseas, but will have to check costs...  :sunny:

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Well, after rollerising the bike in the first post Michael got on with the post rollerisation service work.

Well the Rhodes Scholar who last worked on it must of had trouble getting the filter off and after gouging the bejasus out the sump well he must of decided to take the sump off.

Unfortunately he missed the four bolts in the filter well and proceeded to try and chisel the sump off......

Michael is now filing everything flat again after scraping off the 5 Kg of silastic used to stop the oil pouring out! Why is it that shaved apes are so bloody fond of silastic? I don't even have a tube of it in the workshop!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm

I hope he didn't screw with the screw!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Part # 300033070, 152mm for late (2015+) GRiSO. It has never been installed, or monkeyed with in any way.

$55 includes free Priority shipping in the US. I don't mind shipping overseas, but will have to check costs...  sunny

I did not post this. Have I been cloned?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Street wrote:
I hope he didn't screw with the screw!

Have a look at the pics in the first post Pete. His TB's are 'Donald Ducked'!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Oops, my bad! I guess that would have been too much to ask. Arse!, to borrow an expression.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 21, 2019 6:38 pm

G'day all
I must be just naïve ....
It's hard to understand how someone could be so stupid to such .....
SURLY, if you have not done a job before you would research/look prior to getting the hammer and chisel out on a fine piece of kit such as the mighty GRiSO ....
Unbelievable ....
Have a great, safe day all
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed May 22, 2019 4:51 am

sometimes you just need a bigger hammer....
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2019 9:35 am

@Oz1200Guzzi

Ah, so that's where my post went! (I had posted this in the FS section days back while the site was acting up... then is disappeared! Looks like it ended up with you somehow! Laughing)

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2019 12:23 pm

I got a call yesterday for a Hydro Recall. Guy is willing to pay for all. One Problem, I have looked at this bike twice before. I has 3K miles on it and was stripped for warranty parts. Pieced back together w/different year parts and has a title, just doesn't exist as being sold by importer. I passed on it, it has a knock in the cam area of engine. Imagine that, it'll get sold off to another unsuspecting BMW airhead person. Been making the rounds here, saw it 1st in 2011 then in 2016, no one wanted to spend any $ on it so I charged 1 hr and passed on it twice before now. I have no safe place to work for a reasonable amount. And NOT doing a Hydro at a home visit 80mi away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It was looked after by an Engineer.....   It was looked after by an Engineer..... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

It was looked after by an Engineer.....
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2