GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Just changed my fork oil

Go down 
+13
kiwi dave
Lobo
beetle
McCarthy1983
cognosticator
Steak
Bulldog9
usedtobefast
Pete Roper
MalG
tvboy
bahamazoo
GuZeee
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:54 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
kiwi dave wrote:
tvboy wrote:
The fluid looked good and it was bright red. (ATF?)

I'm guessing Redline Shockproof Heavy.  There is also a lighter version in blue.

In the forks! scratch

Obviously, the brain wasn't working!  Embarassed

I've always used Belray fork oil.  At the risk of starting another oil thread, is there a better option?
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 pm

I think find a brand that's handy and works and stick with it. In my younger days we used a brand called PJ1. It was right up there with Castrol R pre-mix 2 stroke oil.
If you ran PJ1 fork oil and Castrol R you were pretty cool. I almost bought PJ1 fork oil last week but the shop didn't have 7wt and the shop owner said BelRay was the best seller.
Now I use BelRay. Not sure it matters all that much.
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:01 am

When I drained my 2017 GRiSO forks it was two different oils in the two fork legs, the color and viscosity were both very different. Don't know if that was by design from the factory ... not sure if Showa ships them to MG with oil or dry and MG fills them. But seemed strange.

Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:48 pm

I rebuilt my forks this winter. Both had red fork oil in them. Approximately 540 cc's with a 95 mm air gap

Changed the springs & replaced the oil with 5 wt Showa oil & an air gap of 125mm as specified by Racetech. Didn't bother to measure how much oil went in.

If nothing else I would spend the money ($125) on the correct springs for your weight which I think will get you better results than chasing changing the oil height.

Good luck Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:03 pm

I got about 540+ccs out of each tube on mine. Bright red oil.
Replaced it with 450ccs of 7wt Bel Ray (it's green) . Definitely more compliant than before but I'm thinking I should have listened to Pete and Beetle and used 5wt. More riding will be in order. If I have to take the forks off in the future I'll re-fill with BelRay 5wt but I'm pretty pleased with my results.
Back to top Go down
Lobo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Lobo

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:43 pm

TVboy... I’m still waiting to see the GRiSO hanging off the ladder! Pics?
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:27 pm

I took pics but I'm ashamed to admit I can't figure out how to post pics here. Oh and my latest OS upgrade has prevented me from transferring pics from my phone to my computer. Sad

I can email them to someone (you?) and let you post them if that works.

PM me if you want to send me your email addy.
Back to top Go down
Lobo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Lobo

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:57 am

... I’m in the same pickle as you... somehow I can no longer upload pics - dunno whether it’s my iPad or the Ghetto that’s changed settings 🙁.
Ho hum....
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:15 am

Nope. Still working.

Random pic from my library.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:53 am

What weight of motor oil is that?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:10 pm

That's 19w Port.

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:14 pm

My guess would be that it is fairly light viscosity, yet still providing excellent lubricity.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:21 pm

I think it's more flammable than traditional fork oil too.
Back to top Go down
DH8a
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:18 pm

beetle wrote:

When I changed my fork seals, I didn't measure the volume. I added oil to 135mm from the top. I do have Matris cartridges, so they may require a slightly different amount.

Ron added 530ml when he did his cartridges and then pulled 50ml out because it was too harsh, and it was still a bit harsh. I think your assessment is closer to the required amount. I would suggest no more than 450ml be required.

Hi Mark. Are you happy with the Matris cartridges? I’ve just changed the 1200 Sport rear shock for a Wilbers and it has simply transformed the handling and my confidence when pushing around bends.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:26 pm

I'm extremely apply. Having functional damping is a wonderful thing!

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!

DH8a likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just changed my fork oil   Just changed my fork oil - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Just changed my fork oil
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3