GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....

Go down 
+9
kubbie
MalG
PilotJet
kiwi dave
rick pope
JohnA
wyno
sideshowbob
beetle
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Empty
PostSubject: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:56 pm

TPMS Motor Cycle Bike Wireless DIY Tire Pressure Monitor System 2Sensors LCD Tyre
Motor Cycle Bike Wireless DIY TPMS. 99 Australians Dollars.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

..well...geegaw!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:42 pm

I kinda like that idea.
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Does the little screen fit on your bars?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:45 am

Hmm. Doesn't seem to have a mounting kit that I could find. It's a key fob style display.

scratch

LINKY

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:36 am

I like the BMW factory version that flashes a warning when it detects deflating tyre/low pressure or overheating tyre. There was a bar mount pressure geegaw several years ago, but from memory it was close to $300 down under.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:47 am

I use “Fobo bike” sensors with the app on my phone. It alarms but I usually have my phone in my pocket and probably need to mount it where I can use it (someday). I’ve had the system for a couple of years and it’s been very reliable.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:18 am

Is more weight out on the end of a valve stem a good thing?
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:01 am

I got given a set years ago, and used them for a while. Waste of time, I just use the cheap caps that change from green to yellow to red as the pressure decreases. And then one of these broke and caused my tyre to deflate.

Geegaws, indeed!
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:58 am

Rick,

The ones I have and I’m sure the ones Beetle shows, weigh next to nothing. They are plastic composite.
Back to top Go down
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:57 am

I really like the tpms. I have it on one of my other bikes as a stock unit and really got used to it so I wanted one for the GRiSO. This is where I mounted mine. Sticky tape and velcro Its never budged. Can take it right off to charge it and stick it back on. The caps weigh nothing at all. They each have a replaceable battery and they have never leaked at all.

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:02 am

I guess I'm gun shy. I had a road debris blow-out on our rv, which of course a TPMS won't detect until it's too late. It was the center of three axles. Flying tire shreds took out the two adjacent valve stems, because the monitor caps stuck out further (I had short, metal valve stems). As a result, I lost three tires instead of one. Not to mention damage to the trailer. YMMV.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm with Kiwi Dave, I like the simple Tyrecheckers (from Tyrecheckers.com.au). They are mechanical, colour-coded - green=OK, yellow=2psi down, red=4psi down. You buy them pre-set to order.They are not alway 100%accurage, so get a few extra to play with. Each weighs 6 grams, by my kitchen scale. You merely look down at the valve to check the colour. A convenience. $15 for a pack of 2, $27 a 4 pack.

I tried their electronic version - a flashing LED when 4 psi down, but not as happy with those, didn't know if the tyre was at full pressure, or the battery was flat.

Try them out, Mark - the real estate on and around your dash is not plentiful any more.
Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:32 pm

I like the idea of TPMS in theory.

In reality they tend to make a person lazy. Flat out ignoring their tires til the light comes on. The ones with a readout on the key fob are a little better.

My biggest problem is with the ones that replace the valve stem cap. Including the color changing ones, like Kiwidave and MalG mention. They press on the valve the entire time. The only thing keeping the air in the tire is now the caps o-ring.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:53 pm

The only thing keeping the air in the tire is now the caps o-ring.
That does concern me. I have gotten in the habit of checking pressure before every ride.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:01 pm

Make no mistake, I'm not complacent when it comes to checking my air. I carry my Slime pressure gauge with me in my small tank bag, which is pretty much always attached, but I don't check my tyre pressure every time I throw a leg over. On a road trip, I'll pump or confirm tyre pressure before I hit the the road. I don't typically check it again until on my way home.

I apologise if the idea of monitoring you tyre pressure while riding is offensive to you. I thought it might be nice to know if your tyre was losing air before you wrecked it or crashed. Or not.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Sorry if I offended anyone. Did not mean too. I just had to throw my 2 cents in there.

Guess car people are worse than us bike people about tire pressure.

Worked at a car dealership for a while and whenever there was a big drop in temperature tire pressure lights would light up. Which resulted in me spending most of my day airing up tires.

Even managed to offend a little old lady when I told her she was still supposed to check the tires at once a week.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:26 pm

I had an Audi Q5 as a rental a few weeks back. The tyre monitor kept telling my tyres were flat when they clearly weren't. I actually found it annoying. But, it also told when to put your foot on the brake. Talk about nanny controls!

I'd say pretty much every biker I personally know is definitely not lazy when it comes to their tyres. I can't speak for all bike owners, but when you only have two wee contact patches stopping you from being flung into the weeds, you tends to pay attention.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:27 pm

...and, I like geegaws!

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:05 am

Another geegaw for your tyres the Xiaomi Mijia MJCQ01QJ —> Clik !

Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 am

I am going to try this one. Review were good. Will let you know. I think a smear of petroleum jelly to prevent rubber seal from tearing and help seal.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 pm

I've got Shark Tyre pressure gauge and it comes with a handle bar mount.
Checks Pressure in PSI or Bar, tyre temperature and fast deflation.
AU$99
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:22 pm

Came today. seems to work, came with handle bar mount which works well but puts it too high for my taste. will figure out something else.
Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:14 am

Well, I may have to back track on my earlier statement.

Playing around on Amazon I found a set up with the little dash similar to what sideshowbob has, that comes with the wheel sensor that goes inside the rim as part of the valve stem.

That has peaked my interest. Just trying to figure out what size hole it needs in the rim. Thinking IF I were to get it and IF it doesn't fit the rim, it'll probably fit either the Bitch-bike or the Chopper.
Back to top Go down
GregC
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
GregC

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:11 pm

I using the Fobo-Bike sensors on two of my bikes. I've had no problems with them. You open up the phone app before you ride and check the pressure & temperature. They use replaceable button batteries to power the bluetooh connection. I had T-head valve stems installed on my rims so I don't have to take the sensor off to add air to the tyre.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:02 pm

I finally went and did it. I went with the Fobo kit, heeding Mal's observation re dash real estate. I ride with bluetooth ear widgets, so it will alert me if tyre pressures exceed limits. I'm going to get the t-valves installed eventually. The front sensor only clears the caliper by a few millimetres.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....   Tyre Pressure Monitoring.  Urge to buy, rising.... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Urge to buy, rising....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next