GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fuel Pump Issue again?

Go down 
+2
Richard
iansteri
6 posters
AuthorMessage
iansteri
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
iansteri

Fuel Pump Issue again? Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Pump Issue again?   Fuel Pump Issue again? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:45 am

Greetings:
After sitting for 10 days, decided on quick ride....hit start and could hear her attempt to pressurize, but no start...just that empty silence after it cycled. Popped the gas cap to listen...I can hear pump cycle, but no gurgling sound like last time I replaced the large hose on the pump.

So before I go pulling her apart, any alternative causes for my non starting? Seems like the same issue, but???? I can't find any other indications of any other issues.

Thanks as always....
Ian
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump Issue again?   Fuel Pump Issue again? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:02 pm

Battery too low voltage ?
Back to top Go down
iansteri
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
iansteri

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump Issue again?   Fuel Pump Issue again? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks! Miss the old days when you put the key in, turned the ignition and got a volt reading.
I didn't check volt meter....
It is reading 12.1 on the dash now.
I generally keep it on a trickle charger and I am pretty sure it was plugged in, but with put it back on charger again and give it a go.....and let you know!
Back to top Go down
iansteri
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
iansteri

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump Issue again?   Fuel Pump Issue again? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Merci Richard!
You got it....I know my ST1300 is volt sensitive, but didn't know the GRiSO was too.
At 12.1 volts, no go, at 12.5, fires right up. Will leave the trickle on and see where it maxes out, but will replace the battery as it came with the bike in 2017.
Thinking lithium ion battery as the stock lead/acid takes up so much room and weight. Any advice?
Thank you again for pointing out the obvious
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump Issue again?   Fuel Pump Issue again? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:45 pm

FYI if the volts drop below a set limit, the ECU won't allow start. The ECU measures its own internal voltage, so it may be less than at the battery terminals.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump Issue again?   Fuel Pump Issue again? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Also remember that as soon as you hit the button you'll get a voltage drop and with the weird Harold system Guzzi use that is more than with most designs so you can end up with the voltage threshold being exceeded and/or the whole, woeful, startus interuptus problem occurring.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump Issue again?   Fuel Pump Issue again? Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:17 am

iansteri wrote:
Merci Richard!

Thinking lithium ion battery as the stock lead/acid takes up so much room and weight. Any advice?
Thank you again for pointing out the obvious

Not unless you want to spend all your riding time fussing with batteries, a regular AGM doesn't weigh that much
Look up the manual and see what's recommended and follow the fill instructions, give it an overnight charge.
Apply Vaseline to the terminals then forget about it for at least 5 years.

And don't put it on the trickle charger more than about 8 hours every couple of months, never if you ride it once a week.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump Issue again?   Fuel Pump Issue again? Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:34 am

Hi Ian,

I replaced my factory battery early on with a Motobatt AGM battery. Have 3+ years on it so far.
It’s an # MBTX16U.
It fits right in but you won’t need the battery holder that secures the original battery.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump Issue again?   Fuel Pump Issue again? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 am

if you can believe this schematic the 1100 has the start relay 3 pin 3 fed from the always On fuses C.
I suggest you unplug the start relay and just confirm pin 3 is alive with the key turned Off
The thing is the wire from the relay pin 5 to the starter solenoid is woefully undersize upgrade it to 18 for even 16 gauge and the starter will forever thank you.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Starter motor as it's shown on this comic is complete nonsense, there are two coils connected to the spade connector and it will draw 40 - 45 Amps for a split second.
(this only applies to the early 1100 GRiSO)
Back to top Go down
iansteri
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
iansteri

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump Issue again?   Fuel Pump Issue again? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:23 pm

Thanks all...ended up with AGM (Yuasa) and all is well. Had to clear old error codes (thanks for the service code access).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump Issue again?   Fuel Pump Issue again? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump Issue again?
Page 1 of 1