GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fuel pump outlet

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evans
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Evans

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:16 pm

If possible I'm looking to replace the plastic outlet from the fuel pump with a metal one,
and intending to replace the plastic quick connector with a self sealing metal version.

The plastic connection from the fuel pump rotates but doesn't unscrew.
Does anyone know how it is fitted and whether it can be replaced by a metal threaded version ?

Thanks Evans
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:04 pm

The guys at Motociclo cut up a fuel pump plate to find out why the red elbow wouldn't come out. They found the elbow has a one way only conical tang (in addition to the 2 o-rings) designed to go in and not come out. Surmised that the only way to get it out (once broken off - the usual scenario) is to carefully drill it out with an appropriate size drill, and carefully & meticulously remove what is left of the tang & the outer sides. I have seen the proper replacement elbows before, but rarely & the only ones seen in current searches don't have the same tang on the end that goes inside the base plate. Try searching moto guzzi fuel connectors to get an idea of what's currently available (& usually out of stock).
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:17 pm

FWIW, with practice, the QD (?) connector gets a lot easier to remove. A little silicone spray seems to help. I've done is so often now, I don't have a problem. And I'm careful not to stress the red elbow unduly. Breaking that elbow is not unknown and the guzzi forums (& probably the Aprilia & Ducati ones as well) have various solutions. Leaving the elbow & the QD in place & adding in a better (& metal) in line connector further down the line seems a common preventative measure.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:21 pm

The plastic connectors are available as an Aprilia part and the plastic female ends are available as parts for a Cali. I've never broken one but they can be a pain to separate. If I was going to go to the bother I'd probably just make up a line with an easier type connector about 40mm away from the current spigot and just leave the original connector in place and never touch it.

Oh, we have both fittings in stock.
Back to top Go down
little750
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
little750

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:27 pm

This is a Ford Fuel Rail Hose Connector Elbow 1330328 buy it here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It may or may not fit.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:25 pm

As Mal says...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You can get metal ones as well. This one is from Zip-Ty Racing in the US.

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Evans
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Evans

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:52 pm

That metal version is what I'd prefer. Getting the original out though looks difficult.
If I can't replace the original without risking damage I will go the fixed to a metal quick coupling route
Thanks Evans
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:46 pm

I have drilled out 2 of them that broke off, don't go too big. They usually come apart and out. Saw off elbow & drill.
Back to top Go down
Evans
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Evans

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:10 pm

Do you have a part # for the Zip-Ty metal fitting ?
They don't specify Moto Guzzi on their site so I'm not sure what to search for.
Thanks Evans
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:22 pm

It's a Husqvarna part.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:00 pm

And remember to disconnect the pump with the engine running to reduce the pressure in the fuel hose. The engine will, of course, splutter to its demise.

Simple but effective.
Back to top Go down
http://www.guzzigander.com
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:21 pm

..or simply disconnect the pump then hit the starter...

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:41 pm

beetle wrote:

..or simply disconnect the pump then hit the starter...

Dunno why, but I find it easier to remove when the motor has been running. Even then, sometimes it ain't fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.guzzigander.com
Evans
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Evans

Fuel pump outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump outlet   Fuel pump outlet Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:46 pm

This is the dry, quick connect coupling that I am going to check out.
The optimum set up that I'd prefer, if it's feasible is the metal outlet from the pump
this or similar quick disconnect and stainless sheathed lines to the splitter to the injectors.
From the comments it seems likely that the original coupling is hard to remove if the system is under pressure

Back to top Go down

Fuel pump outlet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: