GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

LED turn signals

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clowell
Carlotto
Carlotto
Clowell

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Hello everybody, has anyone installed front and back LED turn signals on their GRiSO? I've installed them on a vfr800 and had to get a special relay to eliminate the hyper blinking. I'm assuming (careful now) it would be the same with the GRiSO. Any thoughts? Thanx,
.Craig
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:02 pm

Yup, you'll need in line resistors. Not only to stop the rapid blink but also to prevent the dash warning for blown globes.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:01 pm

Yes & no. There's no relay on the GRiSO. They're controlled by the instruments, individually.

El-cheapo LED's will require resistors to prevent what Pete has already mentioned. Motogadget and Morimoto (and possibly some other high-end units) will not.

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Clowell
Carlotto
Carlotto
Clowell

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:29 pm

Great, thanks guys.

Craig
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:25 pm

beetle wrote:

Yes & no. There's no relay on the GRiSO. They're controlled by the instruments, individually.

El-cheapo LED's will require resistors to prevent what Pete has already mentioned. Motogadget and Morimoto (and possibly some other high-end units) will not.

Mine need swapping out, but I didn't fancy having to bugger about with resistors.  What do I need to look for to indicate they don't require resistors on the description ?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:50 pm

None of them say you don't need resistors. They cover themselves by saying you may need resistors, or that the indicators will work with load resistors. I can tell you from personal experience that the Morimoto's don't need them, and I've seen reports that the Motogadget LEDS don't.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:26 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Yup, you'll need in line resistors. Not only to stop the rapid blink but also to prevent the dash warning for blown globes.

I'm confused Pete. Don't you mean a resistor in parallel? Any LED turn signal will already have the resistor in series, but this one will not prevent the dash warning for blown globes.

I installed LED flashers on the front of my GRiSO, and used 15Ω 5W resistors which were small enough to hide in heat shrink behind the headlight. I know Kiwi Roy claimed that a much higher resistance will still suffice, but I had already installed mine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.guzzigander.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:56 pm

You are correct. Sorry, must of been early morning brain.....
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:57 am

Rizoma LED indicators come with pair of resistors (they should do given the prices !); just minor PITA to fit them somewhere out of sight....like behind the coils for front ones.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Kiwi_Roy

LED turn signals Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals   LED turn signals Icon_minitime1Fri May 01, 2020 9:19 pm

Actually I checked it out using my GRiSO as a guinea pig.
The lamps I have worked without resistors.
Only if it throws up a failed lamp alarm will you have to add a 1K 1/4 watt resistor for just a few cents.
I would suggest soldering the tiny resistor to the lamp holder contacts.
The failed lamp symbol is there in place of the rapid flash you would get with an old style thermal relay.
Here is the thread where I talk about it
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

LED turn signals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Inspiration-
Jump to: