GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues

Go down 
+10
antmanbee
JohnA
GuZeee
Steak
beetle
bahamazoo
MrBob
GuzziSteve
paulbrice
Bill Hagan
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:42 am

Bill, funny that the man who comes to your rescue with the high tech computer and software to work on your high tech bikes, rides a carbs and points machine!
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:45 am

antmanbee wrote:
Bill, funny that the man who comes to your rescue with the high tech computer and software to work on your high tech bikes, rides a carbs and points machine!

Hmmmmm. You are right. Shocked scratch

He does, however, also have a GRiSO and Stornello. The Convert is just his latest. cheers

Bill
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:47 pm

I've heard tales of a V7 "losing its mapping", but I scoffed and ridiculed such a notion. If such a thing can occur, then I must do an about-face.

Bill, please send me the map that Steve saved, and I will peer into its innards.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:03 pm

beetle wrote:

I've heard tales of a V7 "losing its mapping", but I scoffed and ridiculed such a notion. If such a thing can occur, then I must do an about-face.

Bill, please send me the map that Steve saved, and I will peer into its innards.

Will do, Mark.

Have been trying to figure out what in the world I/we did to cause that seeming effect.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:24 pm

Curiouser and curiouser
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:52 pm

Way to go guys!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:27 pm

Glad to be help counselor, though I must object to being labeled an IT guy.... I am just a trained monkey, taught the mysteries of GuzziDiag by Street and Steak....

The 2002 date of the map that was in the bike was strange, but it uses the date settings of the laptop that loaded it. Beetle can speak to this, but I thought the Load Data on the old map was odd with just a W. Guzzi Diag (at least in my experience) has a load data marker of WLoad1039T and the current date.

I sent the map and TXT file to you in an e-mail a few minutes ago.

Glad it is running now, unless Mark finds an issue in the map, I think the only way to see if there is something more going on is to run a few tanks of fuel through it. If it is a sensor, or spark problem, it will resurface. Let's hope not.

I'm more a lurker in the Ghetto these days, the GRiSO has been neglected...... YES, I feel shame.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:50 pm

Steve,

All the credit for your knowledge of GuzziDiag belongs to Steve (Steak), none to me as I am completely ignorant of such things. If I could operate it in Photoshop I might be able to manage, but otherwise, best left to someone else. I also find it interesting that you object to being referred to as an IT guy, but not a saint. What are we to make of that? Smile

Pete

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:31 pm

Street wrote:
Steve,

All the credit for your knowledge of GuzziDiag belongs to Steve (Steak), none to me as I am completely ignorant of such things. If I could operate it in Photoshop I might be able to manage, but otherwise, best left to someone else. I also find it interesting that you object to being referred to as an IT guy, but not a saint. What are we to make of that? Smile

Pete

Snerk.

But not a snarky snark, just a clever turn of phrase.

Personally, I'd rather be a saint than an IT guy. Saints go marching in.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:28 am

Mark,

Sent files a few minutes ago.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:00 am

Street wrote:
Steve,

Pete

LOL, Well, it may have been Steve (Steak) but it was at your shop. ;-)

As for not objecting to being called a saint, all I can say is the New Testament uses the word saint or saints 67 times. In every instance, the reference is to Christians in general. Never is the word used of a special group of believers who serve God or others better than others. So, I guess I'll take it. ;-)

Though................ Bill was an Army lawyer, and I an Army Chaplain. Vocational aspects aside, I wonder if he would have called me a saint were I a lawyer affraid cheers bounce

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:22 am

Curiouser & curiouser.

The map is bit for bit perfectly exactly identically the same.

...ideas are marching out of my hind-brain in battalions...

Quiz: When you reflashed the map, did you also perform the throttle relearning? Tell me everything you did, exactly how you did it...

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:03 am

Yes, Mark, re "Curiouser & curiouser" etc.

BD9 can explain in coherent detail what he did, so I'll leave that for him.

As for the theological discussion, I will continue that at the Moto Grappa Guzzi Gaggle MMXX here next month and correct many of BD9's heretical holdings.  Bourbon and beer will ensure productive discussion.  cheers

Now, for the stunning -- to me -- and surprising news this morning.

Just wanting to wallow in the warm waves of yesterday's success, I wandered down to the Moto Grappa and started the Stornello.

WHAT?!?!

It started OK, and I even let it warm a bit.

Then to my astonishment, it acted as if were yesterday before the reloading, etc.

Here's a vid; hope it works.

Sighing Stornello

I am NOT blipping the throttle!

Think I'll go down, hook up GD again just to see what might display differently, then go get some fresh fuel and go flog it ... if it'll run on the road, that is.

FWIW to those countermarching battalions in your brain, I just found in my files this slideshow of Martin doing the swap from stock to yours.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bill
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:30 am

beetle wrote:

Curiouser & curiouser.

The map is bit for bit perfectly exactly identically the same.

...ideas are marching out of my hind-brain in battalions...

Quiz: When you reflashed the map, did you also perform the throttle relearning? Tell me everything you did, exactly how you did it...

Mark,

Basic Process.
1. Hooked up GD, checked fault codes (had 2, cant remember which, but one was the perennial 0611? that always persists)
2. Saved Map, when complete key off
3. Wrote New Map, when complete key off
4. Re-Connected Guzzi Diag, reset throttle learning and learning parameters, also checked and cleared codes again, and showed Bill how the different test functions worked.  

I THOUGHT I smelled a rich exhaust for a second when riding behind Bill, but there were other vehicles on the road, saw no smoke or fumes and Bill reported no hesitation.

If it were me, I'd dump some seafoam in the tank and run it through, flog it good and well (if it allows) and throw in fresh fuel.  I'm not sure it has been ridden much since the initial cherry red pipes and plug cap failure. It started and sounded normal/good to me yesterday.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:21 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:

I am NOT blipping the throttle!

Inserting typical V7 weirdness question here now:

Have you checked the airbox for oil residue? I'm thinking oil residue in MAP or Stepper galleries.

Question

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Yes, Mark, re checking those places for oil, etc.

Now, with that said, I am worried that ... I worry too much.  Rolling Eyes

Today, after that "help ... the sky's falling!" post, above, I went to Walmart -- that experience today would be a thread unto itself affraid -- to get what Steve suggested, i.e., some injector cleaner.

When I got back, I poured an "appropriate" amount -- meaning, of course, guesswork -- of the stuff into the half-filled+/- tank.  I then started it and it ran fine.  What?  Surely that stuff could not have worked that fast!?    scratch  It had been sitting in the hot side of the garage and almost in the sun, so maybe it was warmed up a bit from that.

Anyway, I then rode (without issues) up the road <1/2 mile to the gas station and filled up the tank.  Buoyed by that, I took the little thing on a 15-mile local loop that is a hoot at ramming speed.  As I told Steve, I whipped it as if it were a derby contender in the home stretch.   cheers

It was grand!

I am beginning to think that perhaps I have not warmed it -- and likely other Guzzis, too -- up enough.  When, today, it ran fine before I fueled it, it was sitting in the sun in the upper 80's(F).

I almost never warm up cars or motorcycles except in the cold.  Might let one run for 5 to 10 seconds before launching.  Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.

I know the original stock map was very cold-blooded and the new stock one much less.  I think I've just gotten in the habit of saying go go go.

Enough babbling.  All seems well, at least now.  Grateful for everyone's help.

Bill
Back to top Go down
diedel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
diedel

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:28 am

OK. Bill seems to have more fun now with the bike. Let's hope it'll last for a long time!

Concerning issues GuzziDiag on MacOS i can share the following infos:

- GD will run on MacOS Mojave (i tested this scenario)
- GD will probably run on MacOS Catalina, because it's already a 64 bit app (i didn't tested this scenario, because i don't use Catalina on productive Macs)
- GD must be copied to the OS application folder, if not it'll crash immediately after clicking
- InstallingTHIS app is per se not allowed by the OS, because it does not come from a certified developer. Apple OS has the SIP (System Integrity Protection) therefore you have to grant explicit permission to make it work

How to?

1. download GD (here through the german guzzi-forum.de website)
2. unzip/decompress by double clicking
3. drag 'n' drop the app (btw: if you can't see the suffix .app or any other sufficies, go to finder preferences an turn on the option "show all file sufficies") onto the application folder
4. you will be prompted with this:
OK, it's german, but it looks similar in english. Hit OK and go straight without delay to system preferences > security > general 
It should look like this:
Click open anyway and you'll get a prompt like that:
Fill in your/the admin credentials (in mac os primary user accounts are admin accounts. Otherwise if you're logged in with a standard user account you should know of course the admin's name and pw…)
5. Another prompt to confirm "yes, i will!" will follow, hit open!

Should run now. 
Be aware that you install also the appropriate ftdi driver for the active cable:
Decompress the dmg and choose "FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7.mpkg" to install. Go the same routine concerning the assignment of permissions as above.

Hope it helps - stay healthy!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
diedel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
diedel

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:36 am

… aah, and yes: installing GD reader/writer app goes the same route;)
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:29 am

diedel wrote:
GD will probably run on MacOS Catalina, because it's already a 64 bit app (i didn't tested this scenario, because i don't use Catalina on productive Macs)

Unfortunately, GD does not currently run on Catalina.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:14 am

Grazie, Diedel.  Oops!  Danke, Diedel.  Wink

Seriously, very clear instructions, even for someone of my limited IT skills.  

And, thanks, too, Mark, for taking your valuable time to sort out my woes.

FWIW, my MBP runs macOS Catalina, Version 10.15.4.

It will not work with GD47, but will with 46.  By "work," I only mean that I have been able to use GD's analysis function without the reader/writer function.  Haven't tried those.

As my Stornello now seems to run great again -- save that occasional early-on and mysterious (to me) blipping-without-blipping up & down engine running -- I will just ride it and stop whining for now.  The Stornello's no GRiSO and will not satisfy power needs as the latter does, but it is still a hoot of a moto.

Steve says that his Stornello occasionally does that up & down routine if he lets it warm up overlong, so my earlier speculation about my needing to warm it up more may be, as are so many of my conclusions, 180º off.

Anyway, thanks to all of your counsel and assistance.  cheers

Best,

Bill

[Edited an hour or so later to add:]

Kevin Maher -- a Guzzista of the first rank, but not a Grisoist -- and BD9 both commented relevantly on the ADVRider V7 thread this morning after I posted the above.

Kev asked: "Does it still have the EVAP canister?!?

That could cause an intermittent surging if excessive amounts of vapors are present, especially during warmup as I don't believe it is solenoid controlled on any of these bikes."

The Stornello still does, BTW.

Steve then commented: "This makes sense, as his Stornello was randomly engaging in Whale song, even while sitting there undisturbed and not recently ridden."

So, suppose that a canisterectomy is due.  Also supposing that does not affect present mapping?

Bill
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Took the Stornello out for a unquick 100-miler.  Most on paved back roads, but at least a third on dicey dirt and gravel, thus the "unquick."

Anyway, it ran great, its earlier woes -- recounted above -- notithstanding.

Mark, I sent "46;" trust you got it.

Anyway, here are some -- very few by my pix-prolixity standards  cheers photos:

Bill's Stornello Storms W.V.

Bill
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:38 pm

Yes, thanks Bill. I uploaded it to my Dropbox, and posted a link on WG. Hopefully it help other Mac users running Catalina.

And while I'm typing "Catalina", my iPad suggests "Catamite". I blame you, Roper. I've never used that word in a sentence until I met you.

Very Happy Razz cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:24 pm

You're livin' the dream, Bill!

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:37 pm

I am dismayed to find myself posting here again about my pathetic inability to use GuzziDiag, especially, as, in this instance, it involves connecting at all, something that -- after help here and from Steve -- I was able to do before.  Embarassed

The short version is that I hook up the cables, etc., correctly, i.e., alligators to battery posts (blue light shows), plug to V7 ECU, and USB to my MBP laptop.  

I successfully open GD (version 46, not 47), choose "V7 Special" as the Guzzi in play ...

... and get the following display when I select connect:

I then turn on the ignition, press "OK," and, after a few moments, get this:

It seems that GuzziDiag does not "see" the ignition on.

Tried restarting my MBP and GuzziDiag.  Tried undoing then refitting all connections.

Again, sad face.

Tried hooking up to V7 III Special already on lift ...

... and same story.

Hoping I am just missing some elementary step and happy to be justifiably mocked for same if so.  Rolling Eyes

Grazie,

Bill
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:31 pm

You seem to be functioning correctly, Bill.

I suggest the following:

Change "V7 Special" to "V7 Stone"

Try another USB port.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues   Guzzidiag - Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Need Help: Pathetically Basic GuzziDiag Issues
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2