GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Basic Oil Change

Go down 
+3
Pete Roper
Tim Henry
fmrima
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fmrima
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fmrima

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:45 pm

I was just told this morning by the one shop in my area that used to service Guzzis that my GRiSO is no longer welcome there Sad
I was just wanting to get a check-up and oil change, but I guess now I'm on my own.

I can't find any good specs for an oil change, does anyone have the basic information?
What is everyone using for filter and oil type for an '06 1100?

I had been contemplating selling it, but can't get myself to do it. Maybe this is a sign!!
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:34 pm

I just did an oil change this morning on my 07 1100 i got a k&n filter that crossed with a hi flo 551 and got 3 litres of 10w60 Ineo but i normally used liqui moly or castrol edge available at advance auto or napa. Oil change is easy get the correct filter removal cup type wrench that and a 17mm socket for the drain plug
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:04 pm

What Tim said. Look, there are very few machines easier to service than a big block Guzzi. Oil, filters, valves even balancing the throttlebodies is easily within the abilities of the layman home mechanic.

I find this reluctance in some shops to service machines beyond a certain age bizarre but it seems it's the way of the world! Never mind. Purchase a basic tool kit, read up on how to do it and get stuck in.

Tim Henry and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:18 pm

Where in Washington are you located? The Washington group will be meeting tomorrow morning for our monthly gathering at Krain Corner Restaurant in Enumclaw at 9:00 am - hope to see you there.

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:42 am

fmrima wrote:

I can't find any good specs for an oil change, does anyone have the basic information?

The only two "clever" bits are
1) Do not fill the oil above 1/2 way on the dipstick - you can find out why on this site
2) Do not overtighten the drain plugs - personally i use a torque wrench - cheaper than repairing a thread

Tim Henry likes this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:41 am

lcjohnny wrote:

The only two "clever" bits are
1) Do not fill the oil above 1/2 way on the dipstick - you can find out why on this site
2) Do not overtighten the drain plugs - personally i use a torque wrench - cheaper than repairing a thread

There are some discussions around on whether torque specs are given for wet or dry fasterners.
Which values are you using and is it for wet (oiled) or dry plug?
Back to top Go down
fmrima
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
fmrima

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:51 am

Thanks everyone, I've done oil changes on cars and other bikes, just never the GRiSO.
So 10W60 with an HF551 is what I'm after! Thanks Tim.
Would you recommend full synthetic given her age?
@Street, I'm in Spokane, unfortunately can't make it out to EC today!
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:00 am

Yes all the 10w60 i posted is full synth.btw the ineo brand is new to me so im using it this timeas it was more abundant locally here in florida i used liquimoly in my last 15 GRiSO and 07 calvin but always had to call around and order days in advance same for the castrol edge sometimes only 1or2 qts/ltr in store btw get new drain plug sealing washer they have them at ace hardware and at autoparts store
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:55 am

Concidering you are located in the colder parts of your country, it could be wise to some times also take down your sump and check for eventual build up of "mayonaise", especially if the bike is often used on shorter trips causing a lot of cold running of the engine. This should be cleaned up.

Same goes for the valve covers.

Clean everything nicely with paper and hot water and blow away any residues and water before refitting.

The last picture also shows how many screws you have to remove to get the sump down, 14 long ones around the edge, plus 4 shorter around the oil filter.
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:35 am

fmrima wrote:
Thanks everyone, I've done oil changes on cars and other bikes, just never the GRiSO.
So 10W60 with an HF551 is what I'm after! Thanks Tim.
Would you recommend full synthetic given her age?
@Street, I'm in Spokane, unfortunately can't make it out to EC today!

If you are willing to cross the border: I am in Nelson, just a few hours north of you. I am a terrible mechanic but after having owned my GRiSO for 8 years now, I have done many oil changes so I can help if needed. It is really very easy to do.
One thing that happened to me (when I changed the oil & filter of my Stelvio for the first time) is that the old filter was stuck, and the filter removal wrench started slipping.  I then drilled a few holes in the wrench and screwed it to the filter. That did the trick.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:55 pm

bjor wrote:
There are some discussions around on whether torque specs are given for wet or dry fasterners.

The reason why this is important is as a general rule that steel bolts in alloy should have a thread at least as deep as twice their diameter. On my GRiSO the 10mm diameter sump drain thread was only about 12mm long.

So Guzzi states 20Nm or 14.75 lb/ft in manual. As I think that life is too short to try to get all the lubricant out of a sump plug thread i reduced that figure but only by 20% so 16Nm. It never leaked, stripped or fell out.

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:46 pm

lcjohnny wrote:
bjor wrote:

The reason why this is important is as a general rule that steel bolts in alloy should have a thread at least as deep as twice their diameter.  On my GRiSO the 10mm diameter sump drain thread was only about 12mm long.

So Guzzi states 20Nm or 14.75 lb/ft in manual.  As I think that life is too short to try to get all the lubricant out of a sump plug thread i reduced that figure but only by 20% so 16Nm. It never leaked, stripped or fell out.

Sounds reasonable Smile

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:14 pm

And don't forget the dowty washer has rubber o ring bonded not sure how the torque effects it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Basic Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Oil Change   Basic Oil Change Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Basic Oil Change
Page 1 of 1