When I bought my 2007 1200 8v GRiSO and rode it 650 klm home.
On start up after fueling until I got moving the bike was running on one cylinder
and at the last stop (10 klm from home) she wouldn't start and had blown a fuse.
I contacted Pete regarding starting on one cylinder, he advised replacing the plug caps which are prone to failure.
A cheap and easy upgrade and well worth doing.
On getting home and into the bike, as expected the roller conversion was not installed. Again Pete came to the rescue, sourcing the conversion from Europe during the first lockdown.
When installing the conversion as I came to grind in the valves it turned out both inlet valves
on the left cylinder were bent. They would seal in one position and that was probably the reason for starting one one cylinder.
Once more Pete to the rescue.
Once the motor was together it was time to start the customizing to get the bike the way I wanted.
Things I didn't like were the bent bit of wire on the kickstand, the left hand handle bar switch, the speedo/rev counter, the "in your face" silver muffler.
I knew before I bought a GRiSO that I would want to carbon fibre wrap the exposed frame rails.
The original livery was black tank with silver frame.
With black carbon wrapped frame rails I would need a contrasting colour for the tank etc I chose British paints Indian red.
I took the sample colour card to Resene and got them to match the colour in a 2 pack durepox.
After painting I did final coats in 2 pack clearcoat. It worked out really well.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I replaced the bent bit of wire with a neat stainless steel tang on the kickstand and the left hand switch with a conventional arrangement.
I painted the muffler satin black and shimmed it 19mm inboard which changed the look and was the start of complete satin black exhaust
and trim which really goes well with the look of the bike.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Since I was building a touring bike I fabricated a rear rack and bought panniers and a matching bag to go on the rack.
The limited range would be a problem on long distance trips.
I've gone for a 6 ltr desert fox fuel bladder. It folds up when not being used and can be
strapped on top of the back luggage meaning it's not on the side which would be a problem in a spill.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I fabricated a carbon fibre screen and instrument cluster. I've used an Acewell speedo / rev counter and a Garmin 396 GPS which have worked out well. Although it is feasible to run without the original speedo connected I cut down the seat to a single seat and fabricated a tail tidy.
Currently I have the original unit stashed there which allows for configuring settings. Since the bike is running really well I will leave it there.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Beetle was hugely helpful with the new map and advice. The bike runs excellently.
Kiwi Roy was really helpful in advising how to beef up the starting circuitry.
I added heavy duty cables to the starter and earthing back to the battery and use the original trigger circuit to the solenoid
to power a relay from the battery to the solenoid.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The bike is real head turner and runs and rides really well. Thanks for all the help and advice. Evans