GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?

Go down 
+14
motor-timothy
Blue
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
b3177h
resom
pauldaytona
Camn
Uzidzit
Phang
peppeV10
DungeonMaster
Pete Roper
Mr Griso
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:02 am

Camn,

Teres are quite a lot of pad mixtures at brembo alone. And they have different ones for the oem manufacturers. Then some time Brembo has started renumbering the pad mixtures. I can easy immagine that for the RSV they took a more agressive pad mix then for a v11, what is a slow bike compared to the rsv. In the past I had the original pads in the 4 pad radial RSV calipers, And I liked them a lot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Camn
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Camn

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:10 am

Quote :
v11, what is a slow bike compared to the rsv
And some 70 kg:s heavier - you could think that a heavy bike needs good brakes... Actually I was mainly thinking that if both sintered and oganic pads are used for the same disc, the sintered should not wear out the disc too fast on a GRiSO either...?

Last edited by Camn on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:12 pm

sintered pads by different makers are different compounds the big thing is if you are going to change compounds you have to prep the rotor properly then bed correctly...the oem pads are avail from Guzzi for the get ready for this $119 for the rears, and $139 each set for the fronts so about $400 usd for pads. if you get ahold of brembo the EXACT same pads are $29.99 rear, and $45 each set for the fronts....sheesh

Brembo Rates their pads by friction coefficient, within the style and offers a lot of compounds, there is more though to the choice like what the friction is hot vs cold, and how it fades...most people do not really have to consider this much but if you have long like (9-10-20miles) of sweeping 9-10% downhill grade roads the hot fade matters.

The grimeca rotors are really good they take being turned blue without complaint, as long as they get just a little cool off at the end of a run, and the oem pads do not delaminate at very high temps.

If you want to improve this braking system pads are not going to do much, a new master cyl to improve the ratio would be good as would smaller bore brake lines(the lines would be a really minimal gain), we have really good lines though. (600 degree fluid and change frequently!)

Galfer HH pads have nice high temp fade(ie not much) and are easy on rotors, but they do not last as long as some of the others
Back to top Go down
resom
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
resom

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:31 am

IMHO the brakes on my '14 GRiSO SUCK! I'm used to one finger application on all my other sport bikes. I realize the GRiSO is a heavier bike, but these brakes actually scared me the first couple times I rode the bike. Definately a 2 finger pull as compared to my Ducati's and MV Agusta's.

What would be the easiest way to get better performance? I hoping just a simple pad swap, but in reading this thread I'm not seeing one pad that stands out. Uzidzit seems to have the most knowledge. Any part #'s recommended? I found some Galfer HH pads, but they build 2 models of pads, so which one would be best?

I live in a moderate climate (LA area) and don't ride in the rain. I commute and do some moderate sport riding on the GRiSO.

I'm not really concerned with how long the pads last as pads are cheap. What I'm concerned with is good braking, feel, and not eating my rotors in 20,000 miles.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:02 pm

I changed the calipers to the M4 brembo like on 1098 ducati and some MV/KTM.
They are not so expensive at bike breakers. Other thing to change is the master cylinder. I have the original on the stelvio, and a pr19 radial on the daytona with same calipers, there is still a huge difference. The PR19 is not so recommended, because it has no brakelibht switch, and the oilpressure switch is late with working. The new RCS 19 brembo is the better version. Cheap alternative is the semi radial as on newer ducati/aprlia rsv and others.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
resom
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
resom

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:46 pm

Did you notice a big difference with just the M4 Caliper swap, staying with the stock master cylinder?

It seems the stock calipers are P432's, which are 32mm pistons. The M4's are 34mm pistons. I'm wondering how the stock master cylinder "feel" is with the M4's?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:43 pm

The difference is half way from the feel I have on the daytona, I might end up replacing the master too. On the other hand, I use this for easy touring so it is enough. I did drive a few miles on a stock stelvio after I was used to the M4's , thats when you notice what you miss.
The m4 is a monobloc caliper, and has a big pad area. I use them with the stock MV pads that came with it. Will be some sort of brembo. The most agressive, one finger pads I had were lucas srq, but they wear very quick. It's a track only pad.
The worst were performance friction carbon pads, they don't feel like they are doing much and after 1000 km in a weekend with lots of rain they were totally gone, so much I had metal-metal
Back to top Go down
b3177h
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
b3177h

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:09 pm

@Uzidzit

What model bremo brake pads fit the rear?
Back to top Go down
b3177h
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
b3177h

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 pm

Am I assuming correct in the brembo TT2701 HH Shown on AF1 page? I can find for much cheaper other places online

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:30 pm

Threw a couple M4 calipers at my GRiSO and they seem to have stuck. These are black ones off a KTM RC8R. I threw in some EBC HH pads as well.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:57 pm

so Mark,
The Power of Guzzi propels you
and
The Power of Brembo stops you?
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:44 am

So how does it work Mark?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:05 am

Well, on the right handle bar there is a lever, if you squeeze it gently with your four fingers, the bike will slow down.
Apparently.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:15 am

My guess is fucking awesome.

One of the things I'm grateful for is the fact I realise I'm now too old and slow to take advantage of the real ragged edge. Sad though it is my bod is in decline and such great kit would be entirely wasted on me.

Why grateful? Well it's saving me some money innit? Very Happy

I am going to spend more money on my forks and a different spring for the back of mine but more brakes? I'm ten years too late. Boo! Hiss!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:34 am

pauldaytona wrote:
So how does it work Mark?

Pete Roper wrote:
My guess is fucking awesome.

I hope so. Couldn't test them due to 'work' getting in the way. How bothersome. I expect to get a test ride in tomorrow.

Although I'm not as fast I think I was, I still like to stop.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:57 pm

Just went for a test ride.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers  Twisted Evil  cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:00 am

Looks great Mark. Presume the toilet tissue was for if they failed? Shocked
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:53 am

Blue wrote:
Looks great Mark. Presume the toilet tissue was for if they failed? Shocked

I've been expecting a comment re the dunny rolls. I thought it would be ghezzi.

And yes, my arse is deluxe.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:38 pm

What pads do they have in? I think I have some HH sets I bought for an April customer that never picked them up if you only have FF's in there.

Anyway, if you drop in Wednesday for the rack you can take 'em too if you want. Also, do you have a top-box? I have a huge, hideous, Chinese top box and fitting plate off the GT in the US that is surplus to requirements if you just want something practical. I know for a fact it will take a whole case of bad American beer! It even has a drain hole in the corner so you can fill it with ice to keep the beer cold!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:47 pm

They're HH pads.

Already bought a top box.

Not coming Wednesday (plans have changed).

Will be there Saturday to meet up with Charlie and yourself. Haven't forgotten have you?

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:52 pm

Nope.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:19 am

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I didn't want to start yet another topic on the same subject.

Since we are now in 2018, is there any consensus on the current best brake pads for the front brake (& normal street riding in a damp Northwestern Europe climate) that can directly replace the stock pads without having to change anything else to the brake system and doesn't destroy the brake discs?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:45 pm

EBC pads - done!
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Brakes, Ha. Dam things just slow you down.
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:57 pm

motor-timothy wrote:
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I didn't want to start yet another topic on the same subject.

Since we are now in 2018, is there any consensus on the current best brake pads for the front brake (& normal street riding in a damp Northwestern Europe climate) that can directly replace the stock pads without having to change anything else to the brake system and doesn't destroy the brake discs?

EBC HH pads, whether with stock rotor or EBC rotor. I can't speak to how well these pads work with other rotors such as Grimeca (at least not yet). The EBC pads work well in city riding, highway, and both wet and dry. Even though double-sintered, they do not wear the rotor any more than the factory pads and work far better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next