GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log!

Go down 
+11
Buellbloke
Bulldog9
Steak
JohnA
mark111
kiwi dave
beetle
lcjohnny
bioman
Pete Roper
littlebuddha
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
littlebuddha
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
littlebuddha

My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log!   My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:00 am

Pete Roper wrote:
The Hi-Flo is a paper filter and will be just fine. It's the K&N/BMC type, (There are other brands but their names elude me at the moment.) which are a type of gauze within a cage design called a 'Labyrinth' filter that should be avoided.

You are an amazing resource Pete! I'm going to go ahead and add the hifro brand to my order list! Glad to know that a cheaper option is available although I don't think I'll be replacing it for a while after this change.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log!   My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:05 am

Welcome to Guzzidom.

Late to this party, but just as well, as the early-in folks have given you all sorts of great info.

FWIW — about like confederate currency — I’ll add my own, mostly confirming, comments on some of your issues.  I read through all the responses, but If I missed something in your inquiries or the replies, apologies.

Oh, I am a retired word merchant, so everything I write is TLDR.   Rolling Eyes

First, while it doesn’t matter much given its build date, you say ’13 and ’14.  Which is it?  

As for "taking it to the local mechanic to get an oil change and fresh tires and a general tune up,” why and who?  If you have an experienced and reliable local shade-tree guy, great. If a dealer, be careful.  Your local dealer — [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] — has a less-than-stellar rep among Guzzisti I know.  In fairness, much of that flows from their storage area.  It’s outside; in metro-D.C.  Really?!  

When coupled with claims of “state of the art” and “award-winning,” well, I get nervous.

You are always welcome to ride out to the Moto Grappa (Cross Junction, Va., about 10 miles NW of Winchester) and do it on my lift.  OTOH, regulars here will probably PM to warn you with (true) tales of my competence, e.g., [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

1) I have a local gas station that sells ethanol-free gas but it is only 89 octane. Otherwise, I have the usual shell/mobile/bp, etc but the max premium is 93 octane (w/ethanol). What is the guidance as I read that better to have higher octane than lower for the motor? but I'm also wary of the tank bubbling issues with the ethanol gas…

My GRiSO suffered from the “bubbles,” etc.  It is an an issue with my GRiSO, but nothing like my late Norge’s tank, that seemed to swell when even near the 10% swill.  My first “fix” for a few years was to experiment with the various fuel additives that claimed, essentially, to overcome ethanol’s evils. Then, without special evidence of success — again, mostly Norge-based — I saw this FortNine vid:

Hmmmmm.  OK, so I scored extra tanks for the Norge and GRiSO, but only the former required annual removal, rinsing, drying, and swapping.   Then, very happily, I found a local Liberty station that sells 93 Octane Zero Evil-nol!  Seriously, all of this is less serious if you run the fuel through the tank and system by just riding it!  The last fill-up of the season is now from that Liberty station.  But my own most satisfying answer has been to drink more bourbon to reduce the supply of corn to the evil-nol distilleries.  cheers

2) the gas cap is comparatively loose/wiggly to other bikes that I have owned, where you have to put some pressure to open/close. Seems there is a rubber plug that I found some water around the seams when the cap is open.

What others said … especially about plugging the filler opening while removing fasteners!  Haven’t BTDT WRT fasteners going for a dive, but it was a near thing.  Shocked

3) do you guys use any rubber protectant/sealant spray for the CARC/swimgarm rubber boots to help from UV/Moisture? Or should regular wipes/cleaning be ok?

I do, but the product varies.  Impulse counters were designed for folks like me.  I now see inventory as the devil’s work, but I have many choices of various rubber and plastic miracle workers.

4) seems that having a rear hugger is quite mandatory if you want to keep the shocks/mount joints etc clean/rust-free in the long run?

Thankfully, I never saw my grandmothers’ socks  Mad , and you have to try even to see the shock covers.  I had a Pyramid hugger, one on both Norge and GRiSO.  Both failed from vibration.  Went with the Shock Soxx.  I do check that whenever I have the rear wheel off.  It has velcro closures, so easy to see if any build-up, leaks, etc.

5) I really want to get a lipo battery at some point and was looking at NOCO  NPL20 - which is an 18.9amp equivalent and has a built-in BMS. Have you guys had good experiences with Lipos? hopefully, it should be a direct fit without stressing the fuse etc.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No knowledge whatever.  I’m on second —OK, OK, mebbe third — Yuasa in 12 years.

As for oil, I'll let the smart folks play in that pool.  Wink

You are about 90 miles ESE of here, with lovely backroads in Virginia and Maryland after you escape the metroblob.  Come visit the Moto Grappa sometime.

Best,

Bill

P.S.  Hide the keys from your son.

littlebuddha likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log!   My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:28 am

While this may be the wrong thread, since Bill mentions octane and ethanol. I'll chime in.

I spent the past week running around southern Ohio. While filling with gas near our motel, I noticed that 91 octane was $1.00 more than 87, and $.50 more than 89. I tried the 89 in 4 consecutive tanks. It ran fine, no detectable pinging, and I got about 3-5 mpg better than with 91.

As to the the ethanol. I've experienced no swelling, and no more bubbles that were in the tank the day I bought the bike new. The bike had only been uncrated 1 day before I picked it up, so I have genuine factory bubbles.

Bill Hagan and littlebuddha like this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log!   My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:45 am

rick pope wrote:
While this may be the wrong thread, since Bill mentions octane and ethanol. I'll chime in.

I spent the past week running around southern Ohio.  While filling with gas near our motel, I noticed that 91 octane was $1.00 more than 87, and $.50 more than 89.  I tried the 89 in 4 consecutive tanks.  It ran fine, no detectable pinging, and I got about 3-5 mpg better than with 91.

As to the the ethanol. I've experienced no swelling, and no more bubbles that were in the tank the day I bought the bike new.  The bike had only been uncrated 1 day before I picked it up, so I have genuine factory bubbles.

Hmmmmm.

Sorry, OP; drift and hijack follows.  Blame Rick.   Very Happy

OK, Rick, I smell a rat.

You raise corn, don't you?  Wink

Seriously, the experiences with this do seem all over the place.  

I have only used premium (of various octanes and "tiers") in my GRiSO and other Guzzis, so no experience in pinging, etc.

To me, one of the most interesting aspects of finding fuel -- and I know zero about the O&G industry -- is that there seems an almost inverse relationship between price of "regular" and that of "plus" and premium.  

By that I mean, I cannot help but wonder if, within the fed and state price taxes and rules, if stations pull in traffic with the lowest "regular" price and pad the other lines to make up for that?

Back now to watching soldering vids.  Kathi queen thinks I am insane.  She's right, of course.  cheers

Bill

littlebuddha likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log!   My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:41 pm

I no longer raise corn. However, my tenants do, and my rent is tied to how much they profit.

I seem to remember that recently there was discussion that 89 octane is fine in our steeds. So far, it seems that is true, with the benefit of lower cost and better economy. And that makes sense, because anything you add to gasoline to raise the octane lowers the total btu's available.

I'm constantly amazed by folks who always run high octane, believing it has more power. No, octane is a measure of burn speed. Higher octane=slower burn=less pre-detonation.

My younger brother went on a rant a couple weeks ago, saying high octane gas never has ethanol because it lowers the octane. Duh,, Ethanol has an octane rating of 100-103 on it's own.

Lots of pro's 'n cons.

Bill Hagan and littlebuddha like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log!   My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:15 pm

[Pedantic mode]

There's no such thing as "pre-detonation"

It's just "detonation"

[/pedantic mode]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log!   My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:02 pm

beetle wrote:

[Pedantic mode]

There's no such thing as "pre-detonation"

It's just "detonation"

[/pedantic mode]

You are correct. Poor choice of words on my part.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
littlebuddha
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
littlebuddha

PostSubject: Re: My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log!   My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:22 pm

Thanks guys! Got my GRiSO an expensive service + tire change at the local bike mechanic and finally got my license plate so all ready to go. Next maintenance I will be doing myself Smile

However, now I am noticing a torque dip at around 3-4k which I had not felt before. The dealer said that he had fitted the loose snorkel for the air filter back on (I'm wondering if this was removed on purpose for airflow) - not sure if it makes a difference with the arrow pipe but will try to remove it again and see if it makes a difference.

Otherwise, will get it cleaned up with the recommended cleaners and will stick to octane-free gas as advised! Maybe I will run seafoam or shell max-v through it once a year through Smile

Next on my list is a beetle map - have got the cables all ready just need to read up on the excellent tutorials available!

Man do I feel cool riding around on it with my roof boxer helmet. The state inspector was super jealous after he took a little test ride!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log!   My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

My used (new to me) 2013 GRiSO questions log!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2