GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Clutch woes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
alanlemansiv
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
alanlemansiv

Clutch woes Empty
PostSubject: Clutch woes   Clutch woes Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:16 pm

I have a squeak from my clutch when I pull the clutch in (bike not running) when I am riding the bike I getting a ringing sound (for want of a better word) from the gearbox. I have while riding the bike pulled the clutch in and the sound goes away, when I reengage the clutch while riding the sound is there again.
I currently have the rear end out to check the swingarm bearings, is there a way of pulling out the clutch push rod from the rear of the bike to check, I have removed the clutch save cylinder from the rear and it appears I am unable to remove the push rod.
The bike is a 1200 2 valve sport with approximately 40K on the clock, any assistance or ideas would be appreciated
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

Clutch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch woes   Clutch woes Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:05 pm

Should be right there, try a magnet. Throw out bearings are next in line. I would suggest looking at a parts manual.
Back to top Go down
alanlemansiv
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
alanlemansiv

Clutch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch woes   Clutch woes Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:37 pm

Any idea what it may be causing the issue
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Clutch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch woes   Clutch woes Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:40 pm

The twin plate clutch in the 2V bikes is usually fairly quiet when disengaged, (Lever out) and the flywheel and intermediate plate *Ring* when it's engaged, (Lever in.). The 8V clutches are the opposite.

The squeaking is almost certainly simply the intermediate plate moving slightly in the splines of the flywheel when it unloads. Probably assisted by a build up of dust in the splines. While the twin plate friction plates can fail, either by de-riveting the friction material or ripping the splined centres of the plates out by cracking the webs of the plate, this is rare at the best of times and tended to occur in certain years which I tend to think corresponded with the factory teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and getting cut off by their usual suppliers. That meant cheap, inferior plates and more problems. While I'm not saying there couldn't be an issue I honestly think it's unlikely, certainly the CARC bikes aren notorious for problems with the twin plate clutches.

Unless it's misbehaving in other ways, (Juddering or getting snatchy or the engagement point is changing.) I'd say put it back together and ride it. The only way to know if there is a further problem is drop the gearbox off and dismantle the clutch which is a bit of a chore.
Back to top Go down
alanlemansiv
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
alanlemansiv

Clutch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch woes   Clutch woes Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:08 pm

Hi Pete, thanks for the info, the bike/clutch doesn't judder,snatch and the engagement point as far as I concerned hasn't changed. The bike has only just started to do this which to me is a little annoying but as you say it's a royal pain in the arse to split gearbox from motor, will throw it back together and ride it and see what happens, I assume if it starts to judder/snatch pull it apart and check it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clutch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch woes   Clutch woes Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Clutch woes
Page 1 of 1