12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

GRiSO with stand alone gas tank

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:22 am

grisoinginlisbon wrote:
Hello all,

1st post here on the forum. After months tinkering with the idea to do a complete aesthetic overhaul of my GRiSO 1100, and having decided on DIY, doubts start to acumulate.

I would very much like to build a classically styled metal tank with improved capacity, but as I see from the photos (thanks man!) I understand that replicating the 3D shape of the underside would be a nightmare, and without the wings capacity can only grow up...like blocking-the-view-from-the-road up. So for now I'm going with painting...

Does anyone know what is the tank made of? I'd hate to paint/lacquer it with the wrong materials and discover a few weeks later by having bubbles creeping in or paint flaking off.

Thanks for thy wisdom!

It's certainly made of plastic, of what type would be difficult to determine, but I can't see a problem with paints used on any other plastic body parts.
Problems with plastic tanks are usually caused by what's inside them not external issues.

The GRiSO 1100 ahs a range of around 160/170 miles which ain't bad. I have ridden all over Europe on bikes with a similar range with no problems. I would have thought anyone travelling off the beaten track the answer is to carry extra fuel on a rack or panniers.
Back to top Go down
Steveo
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Steveo

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:35 pm

MrGPz wrote:
Right, found a tank on Ebay, it's on its way, by the time it gets here it'll be late Jan i expect.
Still have to see if the plastic is able to be welded? anyone have first hand knowledge?

The tank is made from Nylon 6 - there will be a mark PA 6 somewhere on the underside, which is definitely weldable
Steve
Back to top Go down
charliebigonions
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
charliebigonions

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:59 am

We have 3D printers these days. Someone could print a fuel tank.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:10 am

I've explored that. It's not that simple.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Biondino
Biondino
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 am

For my trip to the Arctic Circle it was over 400 km between gas stops. I extended the range by strapping a 1 gallon plastic tank on each side.
The weight was taken by a simple sheet metal plate held with worm drive clips to the foot-peg but they were strapped to the saddle-bags with a Rok strap
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:45 am

Any pictures to illustrate ?
Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Would this sort of tank fit in the wings. About 1.7 liters I think.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue May 21, 2019 11:53 pm

If only for one off trips, use a fuel bladder.  A couple of these 6L ones tied to the outside of your gear would probably be as safe as a rigid plastic one.  Unless you backpack them...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

GRiSO with stand alone gas tank
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Inspiration-
Jump to: