GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100

Go down 
+2
motografando
Matias
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Empty
PostSubject: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Thu May 02, 2024 11:47 am

Hi,

I searched the Forum looking for info about these shocks, but only found old mails with more questions than answers.

Can anyone share their experience with these shocks? I'm talking about the most simple version (see pict)
They only have adjustable rebound (no compression adjustment). Is this enough?

Thanks.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Moto Guzzi virgin likes this post

Back to top Go down
motografando
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
motografando

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Thu May 02, 2024 11:32 pm

dont buy emulsion shock please
use only shock with external reservoir as original.
Emulsion shock has short life and causes poor performances when hot.
Much better to rebuild original one with correct spring for your wheight
Back to top Go down
https://motografando.altervista.org/
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 12:38 am

Hi Moto. Thanks for the advice. Do you know any companies that could do the job here in Europe?
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 1:16 am

Question: If you fully unscrew the adjusting rings on the stock shock, are you able to remove the spring without special tools, like in this video:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(I got the picture below from the net. My shock is currently on the bike, otherwise I would try instead of asking Smile )
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 1:27 am

You'll need a spring compressor (or better still a rig to compress the spring & remove the shock body). I managed to find a pic of my Stelvio in bits after using sealey spring compressor - you can see that the bottom plate just slips off once spring is compressed...

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 1:30 am

BTW forgot to ask WHY you are taking it apart ??. Changing springs is easy but beyond that I haven't tried taking a rear shock apart & I would probably go to expert (front is different/easier story)....or refit my Matris rear which is sitting in the garage..
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 2:17 am

The spring definitely should be replaced...When I'm riding solo it still goes (but to have a rear sag of 30 mm I have zero static sag. The rubber bump stop should also be replaced, because it got damaged the first time I made a long journey with full load.
That time I got stripe marks on the tire caused by the pins you have on the rear mudgard for the helmet nets....a real safety issue...
Since then, when I ride full-load I wind up those preload adjusters and add more comprwssion damping...You survive, but it has a very shitty behavior...
The hydraulics seem to work fine...The bike has 53 k on the clock
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 2:17 am

That Matris sitting on the garage is looking for a new owner?
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 6:19 am

Hi all,

I'm calling you for help again on this one.
I found a shock rebuild company near mee that can work on my stock shock.
So now I need to get a stronger replacement spring.
Can you suggest any options you have successfuly used (Hyperpro, etc.)
I ride mostly solo (90 kg), but ocasionally with passenger and bags...
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 8:35 am

No the Matris is waiting for it's feckless owner to decide whether he loves the 2nd hand Stelvio shock currently fitted OR to retry the short love affair (that ended in tears due to unable to get the right spring option & not sure it's any better in terms of hydraulics) that involved fitting the Matris. I gave away the stock shock to avoid having three choices !

BTW when/if you decide to change springs, you may find the replacements (if you are cheapskate like me) are slightly different lengths to OEM ones - just means requires extra fiddling around to find SAG positions. They are all 2.25 inch internal diameter AFAIK.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 8:42 am

& in case it helps....I am 76kgs ish and for me the Goldilocks spring rate seems to be somewhere around 110 -115N/mm with the Matris. For the Stelvio shock I'm back on OEM spring & it's fine
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 12:27 pm

I took Pete's earlier advice and replaced the stock spring with the Purple Hyperpro spring, left the shock the same and then subsequently properly adjusted sag/rebound. This made a tremendous difference and the bikes rides wonderfully. I figured that for the relatively low cost of the spring plus the labor to install, if it didn't work, I could then go to a Wilbers or equivalent, but I am super happy with the performance and comfort of the bike...it tracks and corners beautifully, absorbs the bumps when I'm riding along or with gear/baggage on trips...

Just an option for you to consider before going full bore on a full shock replacement.

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 3:42 pm

Great PJ.
You don't know by chance which is the part nr or main characteristics of that spring?
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri May 03, 2024 7:00 pm

Matias wrote:
Great PJ.
You don't know by chance which is the part nr or main characteristics of that spring?

I believe this was the part # SP-MG12-SSB006...let me see if I can find the specs on it.

I had called the US distributor of Hyperpro, and even though they don't list the GRiSO on their drop down list on the website, the spring is part of their portfolio.

Cheers,
Paul

Note from EPM here in the U.S...in case you have any issues ordering locally...

We are EPM Performance the US importer for Hyperpro.
We can get that spring ordered for you just give us a call so we can take all your info and get the order rolling.
Mike Medeiros
EPM Performance Imports
Email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Phone/ Fax: 732-786-9777
[[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2024 1:36 am

Interesting Paul.
This dealer is offering this spring for the GRiSO, and the reference is very similar to the one you mentioned:
The difference is that your reference includes MG12 and this one MG11 (probably the first is for the 1200 and the second for the 1100, which suits me because I have the 1100).

Curiously none of this references is mentioned in the current Hyperpro Catalogue (neither the GRiSO)...I wonder why....

Well, I think I will go for that spring from Officine 08...
By the way, which is your weight Paul?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2024 3:29 am

Can't find any details of HyperPro rates either

Last edited by paulbrice on Sat May 04, 2024 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2024 3:39 am

I bought most of my springs at demon tweeks (they are just up the road from me)...

They also do Hyperpro spring kits BUT they haven't got any in stock
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2024 5:48 am

It's the first time I will remove the shock from the bike.
I already disassembled the suspension links for lubrication, but never removed the top bolt from the shock.
I made a serach in the forum, but didn't found a clear description/tutorial on how to gain access to that top bolt. What will I need to strip down?
Also, is the shock coming out from below?

Thanks all
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2024 6:04 am

Matias wrote:
Interesting Paul.
This dealer is offering this spring for the GRiSO, and the reference is very similar to the one you mentioned:
The difference is that your reference includes MG12 and this one MG11 (probably the first is for the 1200 and the second for the 1100, which suits me because I have the 1100).

Curiously none of this references is mentioned in the current Hyperpro Catalogue (neither the GRiSO)...I wonder why....

Well, I think I will go for that spring from Officine 08...
By the way, which is your weight Paul?

Yes...when I searched for the spring on their website even back when I bought it 2 years ago, the GRiSO was not listed then, as it was a recent addition per the rep from EPM, and I notice it's still not listed either.  Luckily the spring exists, although they haven't updated their website.  I'm at 100 kg...putting the Hyperpro one was a night and day difference from the stock spring, which I still have in case anyone wants it for free (you can pay shipping).  I've had good experience with Hyperpro as well in the past, as I had upgraded the front springs in my 2008 Norge as well with stiffer springs, 15 wt oil, and that paired with the Wilbers on the rear also significantly transformed the Norge from a wallowing, soft bike to a nice firm sports bike, even adjustable for 2 up riding with gear.  I think you'll find the upgraded rear spring, also coupled with a proper sag and rebound setup (fully clothed in gear) to make your GRiSO quite enjoyable!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2024 8:57 am

There are lots of threads about shock removal Matias. You can remove the airbox which makes the top bolt very easy to access and remove (but removing air box is major PITA with diffcult to not snag wiring & rubbers on airbox being worst bits ) OR you can drop it out underneath which just leaves the top bolt as the hard bit. (also removing exhaust/& pilion peg holder on exhaust side & rear wheel makes overall job easier).

I prefer dropping it underneath but Top bolt requires having a lot of different angled/length 13mm spanners (& ideally ratchet style); try them all and find the one(s) that works best.....worst scenario it feels like it takes forever, it's all 'feeling without being able to see', & bolt seems to move a tiny fraction each time before you have to reset/resite it again.

PJPR01 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2024 11:21 am

Right Paul, I changed the search wording a couple of times and started to get some results.
I seems it is either removing the airbox (I have done it twice and didn't liked it) or getting the long wrench...
Questions, as allways:
- Is it necessary to remove the box completely or it is enough to remove the rear bolts and lift it slightly without removing the air ducts, hoses, etc....
- If you don't remove the airbox, where do you have access for the wrench to unscrew the top bolt? Could find any information about this so far...
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2024 11:26 am

I found something....
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2024 3:35 pm

I never have a problem using a long 3/8 drive wobble bar with a 13mm 12 point socket on the end. Donut usually even have to remove the footrest hanger plate.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat May 04, 2024 11:27 pm

Hi Pete.
What kind of tool is a "drive wobble bar"?
And what do you need to remove? Because looking from different angles at the assembled bike I don't see how to get to that Bolt...
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sun May 05, 2024 12:33 am

You can 'just' raise the airbox BUT the pain still remains in removing the inlet rubbers & avoiding/moving all the wiring etc.

Not sure I understand why you can't see how to get to the bolt ? Here is pic (admit it's easier to access with Stelvio shock). You need to find a suitable spanner (adjustable angled, closed end rachet works for me) or as Pete says you can try socket with a UJ swivel/bit fitted.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100   Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hyperpro shock for GRiSO 1100
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next