GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Spotting a false mileage

Go down 
+15
motor-timothy
Brent S
usedtobefast
Holger
Bulldog9
lcjohnny
LBC Tenni
Street
Steak
Oz1200Guzzi
OldMojo
paulbrice
Kiwi_Roy
Pete Roper
Evilgarfield
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:04 am

What I still don't understand is if the relaxing of the spring stack can only occur in very low forces conditions, how is it possible for the stack to collapse far enough to release the half moon when the wheels are turning?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:20 am

Every time there is a torque peak from a power stroke the cams will ramp up against each other. As the torque reduces the cams slide back against each other.

When the engine is spinning fast and the cams are under load with very short intervals between each pulse it's unlikely the system could become unloaded sufficiently to allow the collets to escape. At the point where the system is going from positive to negative load the situation is more ambiguous and the slower the engine is running the greater the time for the cams to unload. Also, being a spring, the washer stack may have all sorts of odd harmonics happening in it that could contribute to bad stuff happening.

It could well be that I'm being paranoid. The thing is I do know the carnage that can occur when the collets get spat out. It's not a risk I'd be willing to take but if you think it's all good and you can trust the factory information all well and good. Suspect

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:38 pm

Buy it, you will regret not doing so. I have an 07 1100 with the dual plate clutch clucks and chucks a bit at idle with clutch lever released, clatters and rings when lever is pulled.

Youre picking nits and worrying too much..... Buy it, go over it, set up the suspension for you and ride the wheels off.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:19 am

Ok so now I have two options

the pristine 2006 presented here with 4500km for 7200chf and the gearbox noise issue and 6 years old tires.
OR
A 2007 in a state almost as good as the other one, no gearbox issue, fresh tires but 35000km for 4800chf.

Is 35000km a lot for a GRiSO? Will components start to fail in the near future due to wear?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:28 am

Mine's done nearly 140,000 km. Why would anyone buy a modern vehicle that would wear out in such a short time?

Like all of them it'll need it's swingarm and shock linkage bearings greasing but apart from that it should be pretty much turn-key.
Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:12 am

Hello,

how long you need here to buy a used Moto Guzzi GRiSO, I have already driven 600 km more with my GRiSO 1100 ;-)))

with your kind of approach you will certainly not become a satisfied GRiSO rider.

Have you ridden a Japanese bike before?

Greetings
Holger
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:44 am

Well the thing is those bike are not exactly close to my place and I work a lot. So while I wait to be able to try them, I look for guidance.

I currently have a honda CBR 1000r that if got from a friend. I had a Yamaha fj 1200 before and rode a Kawasaki z650 for a while. When I first tested the GRiSO I immediately loved it. I'm more into big twins than sport naked bikes. I just never had the occasion to buy one before now
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:49 am

As with any second hand bike, calculate some cost (I'd say a grand) for unexpected maintenance. I'd say the pristine GRiSO 1100 is a very nice opportunity, but the 35k one for 2400CHF less could also be a good deal.
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:48 pm

You can't go wrong with either bike but after reading this thread I think that the black 2007 GRiSO may be a better fit for you.
35000 km is not much. You can ride another 100,000 km without much worries if you take care of it.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm

I've yet to hear of any GRiSO falling apart because of mileage/(kilometerage?) Neglect, sure, but if the maintenance records are sound... These are pretty robust machines.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Evilgarfield likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:10 am

I've setup a test ride with the 35k km one. If all goes fine I'm gonna buy it.

Thanks all for the help. Very appreciated
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:43 am

Good decision! The red one is lovely, but a gearbox that *might* lock the wheel and try to kill you is a deal breaker.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:52 am

Is this gearbox thing specific to the 1100?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:02 am

Very early 1100's. Easily fixable but it does require the gearbox to come out. We can do it in < a day. No doubt lots of shops would say days and days....

motor-timothy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:00 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Very early 1100's. Easily fixable but it does require the gearbox to come out. We can do it in < a day. No doubt lots of shops would say days and days....
I was quoted 8-10h of work+parts by my local dealer.
Ps here are some pictures of the 35000km one Smile it comes with an Agostini muffler in addition to the original one but I don't know if any map has been uploaded. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:06 pm

Beautiful!
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:38 pm

Oh my . What a ride. I ended up buying the one with 35000km . I'm now officially part of the pack.
Thank you all for your help. I'm very confident in my decision thanks to you.

Steak, Oz1200Guzzi and Bulldog9 like this post

Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:44 pm

Congratulations on the GRiSO.
Nice that it still worked out.
But why do you want to do the gearbox?
Just drive it first...

Greetings
Holger
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:06 pm

Sorry for the confusion. There were 2 red GRiSO. One that had 4000km and an issue with the gearbox and a second one with 35'000km and no issues whatsoever. I picked up the higher mileage one. I rode 200km today and had a blast. What a bike
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:57 pm

Well done! cheers
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:27 pm

Congrats!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:22 pm

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:29 pm

Congratulations!! Great-looking bike! cheers
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:01 pm

Welcome! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 pm

Congratulations EG, and welcome to the ghetto!

Welcome ghetto

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spotting a false mileage    Spotting a false mileage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Spotting a false mileage
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3