GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

rear wheel came off

Go down 
+40
Bulldog9
ratso88
knumbnutz
PJPR01
klaas123
waterbottle
Conor W
Papa Lazarou
bahamazoo
Charlie J
mark111
AOAM
little750
Ralf z
bradbusa
RR Bob
Blue
Tod.
f-man
Stoked On Spokes
opc
bikesnbones
moto
pauldaytona
Grisodude
grisorosso
wardest
Bill Hagan
Phang
tocino
Grisonut
wyno
Andy in NZ
LBC Tenni
Oz1200Guzzi
CPB
Pete Roper
beetle
DungeonMaster
keenerkeen07
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

rear wheel came off - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks all. Wilco!
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:55 am

This is an interesting thread! Congratulations on surviving this.

Does anyone have a measurement of the length of new OEM lug bolts?

I have done all the wheel removals/installs myself, using 110 Nm. I wonder if I am safe continuing to use the original bolts if they haven't stretched? (22,000 miles on the bike now.)

Moto
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:39 am

moto  you should be ok with original bolts...but ....I would paint  mark them so you can check them for backing off..also I would get rid of the hub cap...it hides the bolt heads for inspection.
My new bolts are not in yet otherwise I would let you know on the length ..

I am kinda anal on this now.. as having your wheel fall off is not so easy to forget .. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:42 am

keen, didn't you notice anything amiss well before the wheel came off? All of the bolts would have to have backed right off to the point where they fell out (and they are quite long). Didn't you get some odd rear-wheel steer effects quite early on in the bolt-unwinding process?
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:54 am

Vince C wrote:
keen, didn't you notice anything amiss well before the wheel came off? All of the bolts would have to have backed right off to the point where they fell out (and they are quite long). Didn't you get some odd rear-wheel steer effects quite early on in the bolt-unwinding process?

Oh yeah I did mention this at the beginning of the thread but...it felt like I was getting a rear wheel flat ..like the tire was moving around on the rim ...it got worse as the wheel became looser , like a blowout.. by then I was nearly stopped ..and when I stopped the wheel just fell off into the fender well ...feels pretty strange to look at your bike like that ..I was on the shoulder of the road so I could put the stand down and pull the wheel out of the rear frame ...
Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bikesnbones

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:27 am

Pardon me for butting in as a newbie, but there was a case of this happening on a BMW forum I used to frequent many years ago,
The wheels bolts snapped, and the wheel came off.
The theory arrived at, was that after the last tyre change, the wheel (which is an identical arrangement to that of the GRiSO), was not torqued properly, and may have only been finger tight.
Over time, play developed, which ultimately caused the damage.
That guy was not quite so lucky as the OP Crying or Very sad
I have a BMW single sider too, and it pays to regularly check the torque in those bolts
Back to top Go down
opc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
opc

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:58 am

Can never be too cautious... because of this thread I checked the wheel bolts after my GRiSO's first service since I had them crack open the CARC to grease the bearings. Turns out all four bolts were well below torque spec...Like a full revolution short of spec. That was a nasty feeling in the pit of the stomach knowing I rode it home that way.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Errrr? There are no bearings that need greasing in the CARC.

As for the wheel bolts? If they come loose it's because they aren't tightened sufficiently. If they are damaged and deformed it's because they have been tightened beyond their limits of elasticity. No ifs or buts, that's the entirety of it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:20 pm

No one touches my rear wheel but this little black duck.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
opc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
opc

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:18 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Errrr? There are no bearings that need greasing in the CARC.

Pete
I mis-spoke, but I wasn't being literal either. I was just referring to the swing arm bearings and the rear wheel needing to come off to do that. I don't believe the mechanic torqued the wheel bolts when he re-installed the wheel. They've remained tight since then.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Ah! Gotcha! I misunderstood.

Pete
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:57 pm

I think it would be good to bump this thread every so often or something similar,so every one can be aware...just saying..
I would hate for it to happen to anybody..like it did me and I got away with it ..still shaking my head over that one..and its fricken expensive to boot
i know we should all be checking all the fasteners as per usual but then again ......WTF ..eh
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:04 pm

I agree kk07. There would be a few owners who don't do any of their own maintenance and they need to be aware of 'gotcha's' like this.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bikesnbones

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:04 am

Thought you might be interested to read of a similar thing on a BMW forum I used to frequent, involving a single sider like ours.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Stoked On Spokes
Carlotto
Carlotto
Stoked On Spokes

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm guessing the torque settings are identical on both G11 and 8V?
Back to top Go down
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
f-man

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:57 pm

I think they are. 110 Nm
Back to top Go down
Tod.
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Tod.

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:28 am

Got my torque settings for wheel and calliper bolts painted on the inside of the removable centre cap.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:13 am

Appreciate the bump on this as had missed the original part of the thread....

Glad OP Keener got away with this - Nice to hear that other bikes stopped to offer help as well.

Off to garage later with my torque wrench.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:31 am

Update and bump for this thread..
I am on the road again all work is done replaced with new parts as needed , Bolts have been safety wired and marked ..
Shop charged me cost on all parts and 50% off on labor.. so not too bad ..
Remember to check your wheel bolts every so often ,
ride safe
Keener
Back to top Go down
RR Bob
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
RR Bob

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2015 10:42 am

Thank you for the bump, Keener. I haven't visited the Ghetto in quite awhile, so did not see your hair raising story until today.

Will check my rear wheel bolts on my very next ride. <----
Back to top Go down
bradbusa
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bradbusa

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2015 11:59 am

happened to see this thread and decided to check my bike as well. 1800 miles and the lug bolts on my bike weren't exactly 110nm. one of them took a full 1/3 of a turn before my torque wrench clicked. the others were about a 1/4 of a turn. that was a scary feeling!
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Shocked
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2015 2:29 pm

Good find Brad. That there is while all GRiSO owners should check their wheel bolts if they never have.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:04 am

bump for  all
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:12 pm

Really weird, not to mention embarrassing, this happened to Mark S's bike this morning in Bungendore!

I'd already taken it for a shakedown flog to Tarago and back with no issues and no weirdness. He picks it up and within a Km all the bolts had backed right out!

I have no explanation! Anyway now sorted but it fucked his speedo sensor so I'll have to flick one to him but it's really weird!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

rear wheel came off
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next