GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

rear wheel came off

Go down 
+40
Bulldog9
ratso88
knumbnutz
PJPR01
klaas123
waterbottle
Conor W
Papa Lazarou
bahamazoo
Charlie J
mark111
AOAM
little750
Ralf z
bradbusa
RR Bob
Blue
Tod.
f-man
Stoked On Spokes
opc
bikesnbones
moto
pauldaytona
Grisodude
grisorosso
wardest
Bill Hagan
Phang
tocino
Grisonut
wyno
Andy in NZ
LBC Tenni
Oz1200Guzzi
CPB
Pete Roper
beetle
DungeonMaster
keenerkeen07
44 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

rear wheel came off Empty
PostSubject: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Luck , not sure i believe in it but today it came in handy.
went for a ride on the GRiSO 1100 , Winters ahead so i though it best to take advantage of probably the last decent day +22 , rode out about 30 km just getting ready for the corners to come and i feel what appears to be a rear flat coming on..i was doing about 80 km per ,the back of the bike starts to wander a little from side to side so i look for a place to pull over as i slow down it gets worse like a dead flat , just as i manage to get her stopped ,pull the side stand down  and look to see that the rear wheel came off at the bolts and falls crooked into the wheel well ...well at this point i am shaken up a little realizing that if this would have happened at speed life may have become a little shorter..
so a pond further inspection all the bolts are there but they have come out of the hub completely , also fucking up the caliper bracket all the wires etc that pertain to the back end its a fucking mess ...  and the shaft Carc is sitting on the pavement ...the carc dint drag it just dropped down to the pavement when i stopped .
Lots of bikes stopped to help but i got on the cell and help came eventually to get the GRiSO to the shop..
So check your bolts often and throw the fucking hubcap away that hides them..mine is hiding somewhere on the road

I will be talking to the shop that did the tires last time , but its been at least 6000 km since the change .
WTF
Keener
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:31 pm

Damn!!!
Thank Goodness you rode it out as well as did.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Holy snapping duckshit! Glad to see your alright, but that could have been a disaster.

Just so I'm clear with what happened, the bolts all came loose? Unscrewed completely? Or did the hub separate form the CARC?

Shocked

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:31 pm

The hub is part of the crownwheel. The wheel bolts must of come out.

I've heard of this occurring on one other bike but really the ONLY reason the bolts can come loose is if they are either not tightened sufficiently or one or more of them are loose allowing the wheel to deform minutely which will eventually allow the others to loosen.

Quite simply its probably worth checking for yourself after every tyre change. I can't remember what the specified torque is off hand but my method is rattle-gun followed by breaker bar and single hex deep socket to ensure tightness. Stick the bike in gear when using the breaker bar and do them up TIGHT but evenly. If you can't judge it, (I have a lifetimes experience!) use a torque wrench.

I do hope that the threads in the crownwheel aren't flogged out.

Pete
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:38 pm

beetle wrote:
Holy snapping duckshit! Glad to see your alright, but that could have been a disaster.

Just so I'm clear with what happened, the bolts all came loose? Unscrewed completely? Or did the hub separate form the CARC?

Shocked
Thank you kinda makes you think a little bit more about the great hereafter Wink
the bolts all came loose , the hub is still friends with the Carc...and the hubcab is awol
be interesting to know if this just happens to me or has anyone else experienced this with Guzzi  ?
The shop who did the tires last time is great , to go 5000 tight km and then is ...?
i mean i have slammed the GRiSO hard over in the Kooteny Mountains ran the snot out of it really so what gives ...
They must have been tight to start with...just saying
shit happens sometimes,and i haven't a scratch....
Good idea to check your bolts anyway ...

Last edited by keenerkeen07 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
CPB

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:47 pm

Damn! Nice job getting it safely to the side of the road.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Happened to me once when I put new tyres on - my fault as I removed the wheels myself and ppppp them back on myself. Somehow managed to lose my 17mm socket in the process and used a ring spanner to tighten it up. About a month later, the bike was doing some weird shit. i thought I had a puncture. Hub was sticking out and I tightened bolts using a socket this time. No problems since.

Scary though!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:15 pm

110 Nm is the required torque. I pull the wheels off myself when getting new tyres. Luckily I have a big arse torque wrench.

I will be checking them soonest.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:51 pm

Exclamation affraid Exclamation
I'll go check mine right now!
Back to top Go down
Andy in NZ
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Andy in NZ

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Damn that was close. Unlucky but lucky too in that you saved it from worse damage.
The closest Ive been so far is hearing Kenny Rogers sing
"You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel"
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:28 pm

I just got new tyres on Friday, and I've just been for a 300km ride. I think I's better check mine now.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:27 am

Pete Roper wrote:
The hub is part of the crownwheel. The wheel bolts must of come out.

I do hope that the threads in the crownwheel aren't flogged out.

Pete

Pete we  put the wheel back on move the bike into the truck, some of the bolts were reluctant to go back in .. so  could be a problem
$$
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:46 am

Yeah was afraid of that for you...
But it most likely be the outside of the threads only being buggered, so you would still be able to torque the wheel back to specs.
The good thing is...You escaped a nasty one here, both mechanically and physically.
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:27 am

Whew! Glad you caught it before you went into a hot turn!

I also had a similar experience on a lesser marque (i.e. not Guzzi). Had just gotten off the highway a mile or so before when I took a right at a light, went 30 feet or so and the rear locked up. I had lost an axle nut and the axle had backed out enough so when it cleared the swingarm it allowed the wheel to get all cocked and seize in the brake caliper. My own fault since through lack of attention I hadn't seen the retaining pin had gone missing. So I know the cold feeling when you look at the back and it dawns on you what might've happened - and if it'd happened 5 minutes before on the highway at 70MPH surrounded by cars? Now I pay a lot more attention to the wheels before hitting the road, so I don't, er, hit the road.

So thanks for your cautionary tail - I'll check mine tonight too!
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:53 am

GRiSO SE has exposed wheel bolts (no hub cap). I drew witness mark on the bolts since day one so that I can have a quick check from time to time and every time I inflate the tyres.

So far so good.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:03 am

beetle wrote:
110 Nm is the required torque. I pull the wheels off myself when getting new tyres. Luckily I have a big arse torque wrench.

I will be checking them soonest.

That torque value is about the only thing I have successfully memorized -- well, aside from Thanatopsis, which I've been trying to shake since the 10th grade!  Very Happy

Same happened to Joe Sokohl (longtime Guzzista, now FJR pilot) a year or two ago; also new tires, dealer-mounted.  He, too, was blessed as was kk07.  Whew.

I mostly mount my own wheels, torque to spec, and, as does Phang, think I'll start putting witness marks on 'em.  Did that on Norge for awhile, but changed so many tires on it I ran out of paint colors for the latest!   Rolling Eyes

Bill
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:15 am

I use paint marker and nail polish remover / acetone to erase it before the next fresh line is drawn.

Much easier to lay down a line or dot than a nail polish brush and less embarrassing to buy, especially telling the sales lady that I want a white or bright yellow colour nail polish.

I marked quite a number of bolts including the critical ones like the front axle nut and pinch bolts

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:02 pm

Should be able to drill and lock wire bolts for safety.

Also, wheel cannot be removed fully without first removing the caliper.
So I ponder in this incident if there is damage to the disc or caliper.
Careful inspection required.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:23 pm

ghezzi wrote:
Should be able to drill and lock wire bolts for safety.

Also, wheel cannot be removed fully without first removing the caliper.
So I ponder in this incident if there is damage to the disc or caliper.
Careful inspection required.

we shall see ....i know the bracket for the caliper is bent, i will get a list fairly soon
Have to see what responsibility's that the shop will take , seems like to me they screwed up but...
I will talk with the owner soon , hes a good man known him for years ...
Keener
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:57 pm

keenerkeen07 wrote:

i know the bracket for the caliper is bent

The caliper itself, or the tabs on the bevel box? Shocked

New CARC = $bulk

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:02 pm

Yes, if the mounting bosses on the case are damaged you are really up shit creek as the cases aren't available separately. As I've said elsewhere I have several spares, Wayne has my 'Empty' set of cases at the moment but I can strip the centre out of another set if you need one. It'd be cheaper than a new box!

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Pete, I would be happy to send these cases on if you wish.
C/F cases are a dream but I need to find a cure for this OCMD of mine, and not one in a skirt either.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:45 pm

What colour are they? I have several brown ones but I think those are silver? Since they will need painting it would be better for me to strip one of my 'Brown' spares if cases are needed. Hang on to 'em Wayne. Someone with a silver CARC will need 'em eventually Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Spare cases are definitely silver Pete. Bella has black cases ......................
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Quote :
110 Nm is the required torque

WTF in a Newton meter.  Something about the mass of an apple falling at the speed of gravity landing on a lever 1 meter long. ..times a 100.  I for one can never mentally translate any Nm figure to elbow force required. But a foot pound is easy.

The correct figure for anyone like myself who refuses to use any stupid metric measurement  such as Pascals Nm Bar etc whom prefers  old school like my self... 81.13 ft. lbs. of torque or FT if you are without a precision  instrument.

Glad to hear the rider is OK

Thanks Mark for the correct torque figure I edited to show same

Last edited by wardest on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

rear wheel came off
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next