GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

rear wheel came off

Go down 
+40
Bulldog9
ratso88
knumbnutz
PJPR01
klaas123
waterbottle
Conor W
Papa Lazarou
bahamazoo
Charlie J
mark111
AOAM
little750
Ralf z
bradbusa
RR Bob
Blue
Tod.
f-man
Stoked On Spokes
opc
bikesnbones
moto
pauldaytona
Grisodude
grisorosso
wardest
Bill Hagan
Phang
tocino
Grisonut
wyno
Andy in NZ
LBC Tenni
Oz1200Guzzi
CPB
Pete Roper
beetle
DungeonMaster
keenerkeen07
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

rear wheel came off - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:30 pm

Pete i believe its the bolts themselves, they are not graded ..no spec....you could torque them dead on and IF they lose their ability to hold torque /stretch its a crap shoot.. my new ones are safety wired ..with a bit of red lock tight...

I sell bolts among other industrial supply's... when a bolt is not marked as in 8.8 or 10.9 grade for example it means they are non spec so they can fail to hold to recommended  torque....and that does not mean that more torque is better (could be worst) they could snap off Shocked
Guzzi needs to supply graded bolts IMO

Last edited by keenerkeen07 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:54 pm

That boy has no luck at all! Shocked

I'm puttin graded ones on mine soonest.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:58 pm

He has no luck with me! Remember I fucked the cam chain tensioner on his old bike!

Incidentally we both listened to my shitheap today and it sounds very, very much like his did. I reckon I've done a big end too as the tappets went west. Fuckit! I'll run it for a thousand km and see what the oil smells like but it's not looking peachy...... Sad

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:35 pm

keenerkeen07 wrote:
Pete i believe its the bolts themselves, they are not graded ..no spec....you could torque them dead on and IF they lose their ability to hold torque /stretch its a crap shoot.. my new ones are safety wired ..with a bit of red lock tight...

I sell bolts among other industrial supply's... when a bolt is not marked as in 8.8 or 10.9 grade for example it means they are non spec so they can fail to hold to recommended  torque....and that does not mean that more torque is better (could be worst) they could snap off Shocked

I can remember you posting that before and I was skeptical. Needless to say I've revised my opinion on that one. I think a trip to Specialty Fasteners on Monday is on the cards!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Ralf z

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:47 am

Marks bike is possessed..

And I'm going to check my wheel bolts tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
little750
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
little750

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:39 am

Just checked mine and all good. I don't think they have ever been changed in 20000 miles. I always clean and torque them when a new tyre goes in then check about 100 miles after then occasionally then before you know its new tyre time again.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:50 am

Pete Roper wrote:
keenerkeen07 wrote:

I can remember you posting that before and I was skeptical. Needless to say I've revised my opinion on that one. I think a trip to Specialty Fasteners on Monday is on the cards!

Pete

i feel much better about the bolts re the safety wire , easy to do and confidence has returned as to the bike overall.
8.8 grade should be fine ,but if you find 10.9 go for it..

Keener
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:17 pm

10.9's and suitable washers purchased.
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 am

What are the dimensions / thread pitch on these bolts? I'm thinking it'd be good to have them on hand for when I replace the rear tire.
Back to top Go down
AOAM
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
AOAM

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Yes. I live far away from any brick and mortar. If you can recommend an online purchase site that would be great.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:22 pm

M12, I'll have to measure the length.

Pete
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:52 am

As Pete said M12 (12mm)
Thread pitch is the standard 1.75.
Make sure they are not to long or they will bottom in the mounting flange,
Back to top Go down
opc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
opc

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:26 am

According to the spare parts catalog for model year 2007-2013, they are M12x65. For both forged and wire spoke wheels.

Last edited by opc on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To clarify wheel type application)
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:49 am

McMaster-Carr has: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

but "Thread length may vary from 36mm to fully threaded"

12.9 hardness
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm not shure if this is a place to put stronger bolts in. They have less stretch. And maybe that is needed to keep em tight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:30 pm

Maybe the stretch is what is loosening them?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:16 pm

Nah. Not sure what is amusing it but you don't want to go too hard. 10.9 should be fine.

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:24 pm

I used 12.9's on my wheel conversion, but also designed the right hub face with clearance holes that fit over the bolt heads. All four would have to unwind at the same rate/distance.
Always torqued to 110/Nm. No issues so far.

Here you can see the bolt heads sitting in the hub.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:13 pm

Given their relative low cost, perhaps replacing them every 2nd tyre change would give peace of mind?
I pull the wheels off myself for tyre changes. I'm on my 3rd set of tyres, but the wheel has been off for new shock, swing arm grease, bevel box leak etc. I always torque to specs.

The 100 odd horses wouldn't offer enough shear force, but repeated tightening may stress them eventually. I've never found one loose.

We replace the 12mm cap screws that attach the X-ray tubes to CT's every time we replace one. However, the shear force is oblique to the screws, and they are subject to 15 G's.

Shrug.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:38 pm

From the first time I took the back wheel off I put a small amount of Nickel Neva Seize on the threads and the taper of the washers making sure there is no excess. Torque the bolts on three stages, 50,90 and110 Nm, in a diagonal pattern. I have never found one loose. However I shall buy another set and put paint marks on the bolts and wheel.I discussed this issue with our Engineer at work and he suggested using medium strengt Loctite screw lock instead of neva seize.
Back to top Go down
opc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
opc

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Never-seez requires a reduction to the torque by up to 30% depending on the Never-seez formulation. A 110Nm spec means you should only torque to 77Nm. See page 3 of this thread for pictures that illustrate why.
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:24 pm

Thanx for that. New bolts have been ordered. Note to self...read ALL the posts before you comment...
Back to top Go down
opc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
opc

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:59 am

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:53 pm

check your bolts , and ride safe
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:33 am

keenerkeen07 wrote:
check your bolts , and ride safe

just a bump
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

rear wheel came off
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next