GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....

Go down 
+132
syspig
guzziownr
Bill Dee
GuzziSteve
iminspaaace
Buellbloke
drawnverybadly
TheMuffinMan
mikebr
LDD
knumbnutz
BobW981
Charles
SMTCapeCod
lcjohnny
Joeker80
alanlemansiv
Edown101-23
gertler
zeke81
Ulf
rick pope
Groovitz
Robinson_Spike
odder
Axael
Stubbie
Utesch
Ditchfinder
wrinkley
Griso Tom
Leone
PunkScout
WhiteGC
vee2win
saganIsMyHomeboy
melonman
kiwi dave
Paggers
hezovka
janguzzi
sideshowbob
Weißgerät
Sollep
jlburgess
BB43215
Nobleswood
beetle
MrGPz
RIKBRIANT
GuZeee
svru
davem
eeyore
Street
sidrat
paulbrice
oediehl
charliebigonions
EricS
2highlander
petarzil
DangWangi
wardentm
Brent S
Guzzi Cat
barton
Daves-i-Know
Lemppari
ultra
FreshEgg
Hacky
LBC Tenni
bradbusa
Papa Lazarou
boxerscott
keenerkeen07
Charlie J
Oz1200Guzzi
waterbottle
MalG
tarsky68
jexmatex
supercoyote
Cantaloop
jomartijr
kmac33
roam
joshct
AOAM
Grade247
Chronic
JestersInc
Josh.C
rickmain
damoru
bikesnbones
ronbo10
Overholt13
Triman023
Caedmon
Midlifecrisis
enghira
austin_22
little750
bioman
grisorosso
J1anno
tocino
spozzy
Mr Griso
mark111
Birch
msestak
Canyon Carver
Ad B
swagzz
wardest
WCB
Guzziboy66
Phang
DungeonMaster
pauldaytona
Landman
Pete Roper
NorthBayGriso
wittangamo
Grisonut
Oca
Steak
Uzidzit
136 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:42 am

90-95 from a 2V 1200 is a bit optimistic. Probably md seventies is closer to the mark. They are a nice engine though and do very high mileages with little work.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:51 pm

No such thing as a stupid question. Now, stupid answers come into a different category - hope you receive none!

Specs for the 1200 2V Sport quote "better than 95 HP" - what they were measuring and where is never quite stated for some reason. Pete is probably spot on with his estimate of mid 70s at the rear wheel. However, properly mapped, the 2V 1200 will go all day and is very easy on parts. I replaced my rings at 140,000. Didn't need to as the originals were exactly the same as the "worn" ones. In fact everything was still in spec and I have not been as gentle as I could have been in the previous years of ownership.

Put in a Beetle map and you will enjoy a bike that should have come from the factory that way, but didn't.

Bill Dee likes this post

Back to top Go down
Joeker80
Carlotto
Carlotto
Joeker80

PostSubject: No muffler   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Tue May 04, 2021 11:04 am

Well, in trying to remove my exhaust so that I could reach the rear tire bolts easier, the exhaust clamp holding the muffler on broke. While I was having the tire replaced at Cycle Gear, I asked if they had exhaust clamps, and they did not. So, I got home, slapped the wheels back on the GRiSO, and rode to an auto parts store to see if they had exhaust clamps. I FELL IN LOVE with the sound of the exhaustless GRiSO. I want that every single day. Now I know that a lot of you talk about the GRiSO being a pig without the right exhaust, but I frankly don’t care all that much. You see, the GRiSO, for me at least, is an around town motorcycle, and I use the Norge for more lengthy adventures. Therefore, things like fuel mileage, and any lack of power (which I certainly couldn’t feel if there was any) are pretty low on the priority list me. All that being said, what exhaust would get me as close as possible to the exhaustless sound???
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Tue May 04, 2021 11:08 am

So you want your engine to run poorly and be really annoying to other people in an urban environment?

How odd.

SMTCapeCod likes this post

Back to top Go down
Joeker80
Carlotto
Carlotto
Joeker80

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Tue May 04, 2021 11:27 am

I know Pete. I will say that absolutely no exhaust was perhaps a bit loud, but something only slightly quieter would be right up my alley. I know it’s not a popular opinion on this forum, but it’s what I like. The sound seemed to fit the GRiSO quite well. My idea for the GRiSO is to make it my “hot rod”. I respect the opinions of everyone on here, and the info you guys have provided over the years has been quite helpful, and I certainly expect a bit of poking with a post like this. That being said, I am really interested in some options for the sound I’m looking for.
Back to top Go down
charliebigonions
Carlotto
Carlotto
charliebigonions

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Tue May 04, 2021 6:55 pm

Some knucklehead got a shorty for his 1100 from Radiant Cycles LLC:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Tue May 04, 2021 7:30 pm

Model specific (lol) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Tue May 04, 2021 7:37 pm

Yup, if you really want your bike to run like a sack of shit below 6,000 that’s the pipe to go for. Expect a lot of community resentment and some nice fat fines if the local cops are on their game. As an added bonus you may get to find out how ‘Cool’ it is to have your bike drop a valve!
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Wed May 05, 2021 6:09 am

"Shorty" exhausts are a bad idea on pretty much any big twin.

Back to top Go down
charliebigonions
Carlotto
Carlotto
charliebigonions

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Wed May 05, 2021 10:48 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Yup, if you really want your bike to run like a sack of shit below 6,000 that’s the pipe to go for. Expect a lot of community resentment and some nice fat fines if the local cops are on their game. As an added bonus you may get to find out how ‘Cool’ it is to have your bike drop a valve!

"Always with the negatives waves, Moriarity.  Always with the negative waves"

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Wed May 05, 2021 11:26 am

Nope, just basic principles of exhaust design.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Thu May 06, 2021 8:16 am

Consider something like a Quat-D slip on. Plenty of bark, but still serves the purpose of an exhaust.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Joeker80
Carlotto
Carlotto
Joeker80

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Thu May 06, 2021 12:50 pm

Thanks Steak!!
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Thu May 06, 2021 2:12 pm

Charliebigonions wrote:

"Always with the negatives waves, Moriarity.  Always with the negative waves"

charliebigonions likes this post

Back to top Go down
Charles
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Charles

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Mon May 24, 2021 11:44 pm

Hi. I'm a new member. Have had my 850 GRiSO (2006) since 2008. Recently ordered a Mistral Conical in Stainless. There was a short version but the sound is at a higher pitch. I expect it to arrive in Oz in a week or two. I've only heard the sound on YouTube clips. I thought it was the best of the bunch. Also comes in a carbon-frbon-finish. I'll post a pic when done. Cheers Charles
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 12:00 am

Hello my friend. Where did this 850 spring from? I'm constantly amazed when 850's turn up as I was a service agent when they were imported and I never thought there were that many bought in, either Brevas or Grisos, and they keep popping up like mushrooms.

Given it's age I strongly suggest swingarm and shock linkage maintenance as first on the list of 'Things to do'.!
Back to top Go down
Charles
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Charles

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 12:09 am

Hi Pete. There was a Guzzi dealer in William St Sydney. Gone now. I went in to test a Bellagio and my beauty was traded in the morning. Apparently wife told him it was the bike or her. Anyway, I fell in love with it and have enjoyed weekends on it ever since. I've only ever known of one other but havnt seen it in years. Was black. Mine red. Its completely original but have recently decided to do a few things to it. Put Hepco panniers on, with c-bow fittings. New exhaust and mapping coming soon. Looking to change handlebars ... nightmare. Thanks for saying G'day. Charles
Back to top Go down
Charles
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Charles

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 12:10 am

Thanks for the tips by the way. I'll discuss with Motociclo ...
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:03 am

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Evilgarfield likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:07 pm

I’ve recently bought my GRiSO with this exhaust on it:

It’s made by an Italian company called Ipothesys.  They’re known for building €30k custom framed specials.  It was supplied to previous owner by GPR in Italy & cost about €800.  
He had the Factory Termignoni system (which I have), but the Termi clashed with his MG Semi-Rigid luggage.  Hence he wanted a low can.
Downside is that the bike is SOOO loud AND runs like crap, especially when cold.  I personally don’t mind loud (see below Signature list), but my email to Ipothesys remains unanswered Sad

I’ve decided to refit the Termi, which I think looks better.  Pete has a dedicated map for it Smile

Last edited by BobW981 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:12 pm

You make sound decisions.
Back to top Go down
Charles
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Charles

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:57 pm

I have heard the same about those pipes ... you can only try and see ... I'm waiting on a Mistral Chonical pipe myself ... I'm hoping for a better result, if not it'll be on Ebay:)
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:25 pm

Its very interesting what Pete Roper has to say about exhausts in this thread. Although his comments were not specifically about this Ipothesys system, it’s important that the loudest pipes make the worst fuelling, in that even with a map made specially for them, they delivered little or no gains except for 1 or 2hp in the top couple thou revs, and generally poor response & fuel economy.

• I hope I’ve not misquoted Pete 🙏

We all crave spangly new exhaust with a deep non-EU roar. Methinks some 3rd party manufacturers are being somewhat unscrupulous 😡

Bob

Charles likes this post

Back to top Go down
knumbnutz
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
knumbnutz

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:12 pm

Throw my exhaust design up. Hard to see but they are joined after the Y then split again after. The midrange from 3-4 is stronger and smoother whereas the termi with map is rough, top end remains the same.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:20 pm

All my research indicates that a short pipe will gut the bottom end and midrange. It's due to camming and the head design. If you have found different? OK.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread.... - Page 21 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....
Page 21 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next