GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working

Go down 
+14
Leone
Gootzibird13
paulbrice
kiwi dave
eeyore
lcjohnny
DrPat
Red Leader
Kiwi_Roy
Oz1200Guzzi
Charlie J
bioman
f-man
sidrat
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Empty
PostSubject: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 11:21 am

as the title says, i will take it apart, if i can and see if it is repairable, but i think a new one is in order, am i right in assuming you can buy one without having to buy the whole left hand switch assembly?
Back to top Go down
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
f-man

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Nope;

when you couldn´t find a used switch assembly, you would have to buy a complete new one for about 240 Euro. I have had the same problem last year.

Sven
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 2:19 pm

bugger, i better start saving my pennies!!
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 3:21 pm

You could send an email to these guys: Reboot Guzzispares, and see what they have laying around.
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Two options. Replace with complete switchblock or carefully pull the menu scroll button apart once you take it off the switchblock. You will then have to unsolder the wires. I did this and took the switch to an electronics shop. The replacement cost $1. If you want I can try to get a part number or I could send you one. Cheers
Back to top Go down
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
f-man

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 10:22 pm

The menue scroll button can easily changed. There is only one screw at the complete switchblock. The problem is to get one - Guzzi didn´t sell this item solo. When Charlie could open up a new resource would this be great.

Sven
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Fri May 27, 2016 1:00 am

Charlie J wrote:
Two options. Replace with complete switchblock or carefully pull the menu scroll button apart once you take it off the switchblock. You will then have to unsolder the wires. I did this and took the switch to an electronics shop. The replacement cost $1. If you want I can try to get a part number or I could send you one. Cheers

I will see if i can take it apart and take a looksee, if it comes apart easy enough, i will take you up on your kind offer of sending me one, cheers
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Sun May 29, 2016 4:55 pm

Sidrat, the part comes from a JAYCAR catalogue. They supply parts to electronics/computer shops. The micro momentary switch has a part number SP0603. The description is as follows. Switch PCB TACT SPST N/O 6X6XA6M SP0603. If you have no joy tracking one down pm me your address. I had to add a spacer to the button, I used a bit of walnut timber. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2016 8:54 am

Charlie

I found the part on the Jaycar website, they have a uk one too, the price was good at 33 pence each, i was going to order 3 just in case, until they wanted £20 for postage!
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2016 9:05 am

so ebay here i come
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2016 12:50 pm

ok, so all taken apart and now waiting for the replacement switch, next problem is the rubber cover is buggered, probably what caused the problem in the first place, any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2016 3:20 pm

Lots of switches have as options, waterproof covers. Try Element14 or RS Components in the UK. I have purchased from them in copious amounts in the past (probably purchased close to $1M over the last 7 years from them - they both have good stocks)
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:39 pm

I came on here to find out how to set the clock so i'll put my two pence worth.
If you change the contact for a reed switch the contacts will last forever, you can seal the switch in silicone and trigger it with a tiny magnet.
Clock set
Finally realized there was a Mode switch, I never rode the GRiSO last year and forgot, nice thing about being so old it's like new every time haha.
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:07 am

Hi Folks,

Sidrat,
Greetings from Essex.
Hope you're keeping well!
How you getting on with it?

My switch stopped working about a year ago but I haven't got round to tacking it, yet.
The switch is in a stupid place & takes the full force from the elements so I'm surprised mine lasted pretty much 12 years!!!

I'm interested in hearing how you got on as it's something I shall tackle at some point.
Good luck with it.
Cheers...
Rich
Back to top Go down
DrPat
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
DrPat

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:59 pm

hmm, mine seems to have stopped working now too. I only adjust it every 6 months for daylight saving (a stupid idea in NZ, but that's NZ for you...), and this time it seems to be dead. Maybe if the motor's running it'll jolt to life, I'll let you know

cheers, Pat
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:09 pm

i have fitted one of these - not yet roadtested  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Switches-Handlebar-Switch-Headlight/dp/B07MGVBZTZ/ref=psdc_4920207031_t1_B07M9NTZ9V
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:14 am

Too late for anyone with a failed switch but I think the main problem with the switch is that it feels slow to respond. To compensate for the delay, we tend to give a very hard lengthy push to ensure it works. This damages the internals or the rubber cover. One the cover fails the switch is not long for the world.
The switch only needs a gentle push and then wait a second or so (feels like an eternity) for the dash to acknowledge the signal.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:05 am

Just leave your clock set to Greenwich Mean Time and kiss goodbye to daylight saving. No more fiddling with awkward buttons.

paulbrice likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 pm

sidrat wrote:
ok, so all taken apart and now waiting for the replacement switch, next problem is the rubber cover is buggered, probably what caused the problem in the first place, any ideas?
While you are waiting why not find another different push button and wire it in with a couple of short jumper wires or even just a pair of wires you can bring out where they can be touched together.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:32 am

Don't think he's still waiting ............Keith (Sidrat) sold his GRiSO a couple of years ago & moved onto Triumph StreetTriple Wink
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:38 am

Hi Folks,

I still haven't bothered replacing mine.

Everyday I see that little spanner flashing & the clock set to zero hours on my (mist free!!!!!) dash!
Can't say I've missed that switch.... must be 2 years now....

Cheers........I love my GRiSO- it's done me proud.
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:00 pm

Question about scratches on clock. Is there anyway to remove scratches off of the face of instrumentation? What to use? Some clear plastic you can heat, buff ECT. What to do gents?
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:16 pm

Gootzibird13 wrote:
Question about scratches on clock. Is there anyway to remove scratches off of the   face of instrumentation? What to use? Some clear plastic you can heat, buff ECT. What to do gents?

This can be mildly tricky, as plastic polishes will typically remove the larger scratches... but also leave very fine polishing scratches.  jocolor

Novus polish works OK, but I've actually had the best luck with Menzerna SF4000 (made for paint finishes). Whatever product you use, work it in very gently with a high quality soft microfiber, or try a foam wax applicator, to avoid polishing marks. Buff the product off very gently. Tape off surrounding areas if you can't (or don't want to) remove the bezel. Finally, a product such as Plexus or (my personal favorite) 210 Plastic Cleaner to remove the rest of the polish and leave a protective coating. (If you purchase the Novus triad, I believe the "1"/red bottle stuff is a similar premise.) It can be a little annoying at first, but once you get the process down, you'll have it looking new.

Probably an obvious statement, but careful cleaning will avoid most future scratches (blotting is better than rubbing of course), occasional use of Plexus/210 should keep it looking fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:29 pm

Thank you Leone. I will search out products you listed. I assume the clear plastic is acrylic? If not what type of plastic is it by name?
Back to top Go down
iwantone
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
iwantone

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:02 am

Hi everyone,

Has anybody found an EU based source for the replacement part from jaycar?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working   The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The little button that changes the clock display has stopped working
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next