GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Condensate in display

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Condensate in display Empty
PostSubject: Condensate in display   Condensate in display Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:14 pm

My 2014 with 14,000 miles on it had some light condensate on the bottom right corner of the display today. This has never happened before. The bike is garage kept in a warm climate since new. It has had a high humidity home all along in Houston and now South Georgia. I went for a ride today with a group of guys I ride with. When I started out it was fine. Temperature was about 48 F. About 90 minutes into the ride, I looked down and saw the small amount of condensate and thought it must be some dirt on the outside, but no. We rode for maybe another hour and it was still there. Parked for lunch and when I came out it was gone. It was parked in the sun but the display was shaded by my parabellum windshield. Stayed fine after that. Question: is there some way to seal it better so this doesn’t come back. It’s peculiar to me that it would happen to begin with. The bike has never been wet.
I tried to search the forum and feel like this topic has been discussed but I couldn’t find anything. Probably don’t know the right words to search.
Advice needed please!
Many thanks,
John
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Condensate in display   Condensate in display Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:56 pm

John, it happens on some and not others. Pulling it apart is a challenge, and others who have gone there may like to chime in. There are vents and there may also be something blocking the vents. Mine (Sport) has never condensed and I ride in some pretty atrocious conditions from time to time. But I do get ants in there, and they can't get out - so they die and rot in there.

You could pull it apart, and make sure it is clean and put in some desiccant, or maybe drill some extra very tiny holes for extra ventilation. Dunno, if it happens all the time I would be tempted to do something about it. It might just be a one off, though annoying. It's probably the humidity on the day...
Back to top Go down
voulga77
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
voulga77

PostSubject: Re: Condensate in display   Condensate in display Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 am

Condensation is the clocks is an Aprilia tradition...

I advice you reove the glass of the clocks and apply some mastic.
Then, enlarge the openings in the back of the clocks in order to improve ventilation.
Not easy to do but worthwhile. If the internal circuits get rusty, clocks are f@cked up.

Look here, is a good example, aplicable to GRiSO too:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Condensate in display   Condensate in display Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:48 am

Gentlemen,
Many thanks to you both. Didn’t even know there were vents. I’ll check them out and make sure they are clear etc for starters.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Condensate in display   Condensate in display Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:40 am

Well, I’m hoping this situation was an anomaly. I do have a windshield on but I felt around the entire instrument an didn’t find any vents.
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Condensate in display   Condensate in display Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:38 am

Hi John,
I had my 2nd replacement speedo apart on my 1100 a few years ago as I was fed up with the fogging!
Yet again, I had big droplets forming on the underside of the perspex. Water must have been getting in via the seal beneath the screen as well as the underside.
After sticking it in the airing cupboard for a day I sealed the speedo up & thankfully I don't get the huge amounts of condensation that I used to.

Heavy rain doesn't really effect it but moisture in the air will get in via the underside of the speedo whatever one does, I have found.

I get the odd bit of light misting in winter but in summer it's mist free. I ride all seasons & we get a fair amount of wet, misty weather in winter & spring where I live so the sealant has helped improve things.

Removing the speedo was quite easy... if you do it you'll see what I mean re: the underside letting in moisture.
Give me a shout if you need any pointers.

Have fun,
Rich
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Condensate in display   Condensate in display Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:13 am

Rich,
Many thanks for your reply. I learned that the misting as you describe probably never happened to me before because I rarely ride in cold temperatures like I have lately. I did find the vent at the bottom of the unit. Going to monitor the situation.
Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Condensate in display   Condensate in display Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:09 am

JohnA,

The misting is normal but probably harmful. Your experience of it is classic: A cool morning with a bright sun shining on the dash raises its interior temperature, evaporating water inside that then condenses on the cool underside of its transparent cover (bezel?). The real problem is what that water was doing to the electronics before it got evaporated (and what it might continue to do later).

The vents are needed for the air pressure sensor on the dash's printed circuit board (PCB), and should not be plugged.

Jamming some desiccant inside the dash is a good plan, though the space for that is limited. I went whole hog and created and installed a desiccating breather using some apparent tube guides that look very much like the designers had planned to do the same thing. I also put a conformal coating on my dash's PCB.

You can read about my deep dive into the dashboard moisture problem here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unfortunately, Photobucket has intentionally blurred the photos. I explored the science of water vapor and possible technological solutions as deeply as I could.

If you keep your bike in a heated location all the time I doubt you will experience a failure because of the moisture. But it's there inside, as your experience showed.

Moto
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Condensate in display   Condensate in display Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Condensate in display
Page 1 of 1