GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Serial #s and Flat Tappets

Go down 
+10
MattF
GuzziSteve
cbxtc6
Stubbie
Nobleswood
Oz1200Guzzi
kiwi dave
beetle
Bill Hagan
jfortenbery
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 am

Over here Steve an incomplete service history was an automatic fail when I was still an *Official* service agent. That decision was made in Italy, not here. Nowadays I'm hearing that people are just being stonewalled at importer level.

Pete
Back to top Go down
jfortenbery
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:48 am

Surprisingly GOOD news!

Local dealer ran my VIN on MG system and there are NO open campaigns on my Norge. It showed original date of sale (in TN) and two warranty repairs (a leaking oil pressure sensor and a fuel injector) in the first few thousand miles.

Apparently, this engine was rollerized at the factory.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fortenberyguitars.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:06 am

(Sigh.) There is no 'Campaign' because there is and never was a recall for the flat tappet fiasco! Piaggio has tried, and continues to try to, sweep it under the carpet. With any 2012 bike you can check the engine number against the list but the only real way to be 100% certain is to pop off a rocker cover and have a look!

Why are you so reluctant to do this? Even on a Norge it's a ten minute task! Just do it and you'll know for certain.

Pete
Back to top Go down
MattF
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
MattF

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:54 am

Not sure if this is the right thread. I have a flat tappet GRiSO (yes I know, should have been rollerised but location, family issues and a whole load of other stuff have made this logistically difficult). 22000 kms on it with a service done by a Guzzi service agent at 20000km. 10000 km service was done by me due to above mentioned issues so service history is an issue.
The GRiSO is my transport to work so is used most days but in the last 100 or so kms, it has started running very rough with a drop in power. Popping on the overrun which wasn't happening before. Rough idle.
Valve clearances are stable but there are significant differences in the left and right spark plugs. Right plug nice and grey, left plug black and charcoally.
Yes, I will be rollersing in the new year but is this a symptom of flat tapper failure? And yes, bike is now parked up until rollerisation can occur.
Matt
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:36 am

While not detracting from the urgency of rollerisation how are the plug caps and how and who tuned it last?

Pete
Back to top Go down
MattF
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
MattF

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:41 am

Plug caps not long replaced with NGK. Last tuned at Moto Italia before they went belly up.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:46 am

I knew Dave was unwell but since I ceased to be a service agent I'd lost contact. Is his shop now defunct?

Look, if it's a '12 it will be an 'A' kit bike so not too difficult. Why not just roll it down here and let us go through it? Probably be cheaper than most of the other robbers on the block too. We have an 'A' kit in stock too unless I'm mistaken....

Pete
Back to top Go down
MattF
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
MattF

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:05 am

Pete, I understand that Dave has closed the workshop and only running a spares business now.
My plan was to get the bike to you but being in Cobar makes that a 7 hour trip, which requires a bit of organising on my part with work, etc.
When you say roll it down here, do you mean ride it or drag it down on a trailer?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:16 am

How about you pay fuel and I'll pick it up?

When I say stuff like this many people think "Huh, what a tool, he must be desperate!". In fact nothing could be further from the truth. Jude has just retired, I'm heading there, (Two, maybe three more years?) and we like travel. For us a three day run up to Cobar and back would be a nice little mini holiday! Lots of small towns and big sky country between here and Cobar. We like both.

I did a rollerisation for another bloke up that way a couple of years ago. Haven't heard from him since so either he's happy, has sold the bike or thinks I'm the world's biggest bastard yet un-hung! You must know him? There can't be that many Grisos out beyond the Black Stump! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:32 am

jfortenbery wrote:
Surprisingly GOOD news!

Local dealer ran my VIN on MG system and there are NO open campaigns on my Norge. It showed original date of sale (in TN) and two warranty repairs (a leaking oil pressure sensor and a fuel injector) in the first few thousand miles.

Apparently, this engine was rollerized at the factory.

This doesn't mean it has rollers, this means they haven't failed yet!! Look inside you'll know. Lot's of pic's of what to look at and what they look like.
If you have a 12 model in USA chances are it was made in 11 and has flatties.
Back to top Go down
jfortenbery
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 am

Hey GuzziSteve,

You are absolutely right. However, if you noticed the date of my post, that was back in October. I've since discovered the flat tappets and replaced with an "A" kit. Running good as ever.

Just downloaded a Beetle map. Hope to install that in the next couple of days, but with temps hovering around ZERO, there's no rush on the remapping! ;>)

Back to top Go down
http://www.fortenberyguitars.com
MattF
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
MattF

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Pete, That’s a bloody generous offer. Can I give you a call through the week to discuss?
Pretty sure there isn’t another GRiSO in Cobar. Lots of Harley’s, an odd Ducati and the usual Japanese bikes but I haven’t even seen or heard of another Guzzi around. That said, there are lots of stories about old gems stashed and virtually forgotten in sheds around the place.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Sure, gimme a call next week 0417 462 440
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:19 pm

MattF wrote:
Pete, That’s a bloody generous offer. Can I give you a call through the week to discuss?
Pretty sure there isn’t another GRiSO in Cobar. Lots of Harley’s, an odd Ducati and the usual Japanese bikes but I haven’t even seen or heard of another Guzzi around. That said, there are lots of stories about old gems stashed and virtually forgotten in sheds around the place.

Nah, just confirmed it with Jude whose memory is as sharp as a tack. Definitely Cobar, nice couple who worked in the mine. From memory it was a black alloy wheel model, about a 2009 I think.

Pete
Back to top Go down
MattF
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
MattF

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Guess that they moved on. With the three mines nearby pretty of people moving in and out of Cobar. That’s how we ended up here. Maybe he moved on looking for some decent rides- this definitely isn’t the place to be for any interning riding(adventure bikes excluded). I miss the east coast.
Pete, When would be a good time to give you a call?
Back to top Go down
MattF
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
MattF

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Sorry Pete, missed a post. Will talk next week.
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:49 am

Hey Pete, If You like travelling perhaps You could choose Germany as a destination and upgrade my GRiSO with a F1 camshaft kit laying around here? Great offers, thumbs up!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:53 am

What's an F1 camshaft kit?
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:18 pm

This one
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Or have a glimpse on msd.it, this kit is a coproduction between Stuhlmüller and msd.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Oh look! A cortège of carriages contains geese that only lay golden eggs pulled by unicorns!

if you're stupid enough to buy this shit you ought to gone over to Greedy Eagy's site. I'm out several grand to him and I just found, (While trying to find the CoG forum.) his scathing excuse for 'Banning' references to Guzzidiag on his site.

When he gives me $5K and an apology I might not call him a cunt again, unless provoked!

Yeah, Tony, you were in on that shit. Next time you communicate you can tell him to fuck himself with a rusty star picket from me. Then ask him how his 140HP Tonti project is fairing? Oh, that's right! Only two or three pictures of a fucked frame.

Few people make me as angry as that prick. It's not good for my health, but neither is giving people money and help and getting stiffed.
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:38 am

Omg, Stuhlmüller has best references here in Germany. Don't think he will set up my GRiSO with crap. BTW, Radical Guzzi also provides this kit. Can't be too bad...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:43 am

Unicorns masturbating geese????

Gee, I have had a sheltered life. geek
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:59 am

2highlander wrote:
Omg, Stuhlmüller has best references here in Germany. Don't think he will set up my GRiSO with crap. BTW, Radical Guzzi also provides this kit. Can't be too bad...

Excellent! Knock yerself out! I'll stick with the laws of physics and the science of engineering. Mind you I don't have loop ear rings, a fancy website or a desire to build impractical, fragile, shitters.

Of course though there is always the thing that it couldn't possibly be that a few blokes in a shed in bumfuck Oz could be better at this shit than German hipsters.

I like my bikes........

Pete
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:12 am

Pete, i wish you would stop sitting on the fence with this stuff and tell them what you really think Razz

They have clearly pissed you off in the past.

On a slightly different note i remember selling my Ducati 999 to someone who then slagged me off on a forum for not being able to set up the suspension properly and that ex racers haven't got a clue and he was going to take it to his mate to take a look at. Everyone jumped on the post and agreed what a fuckwit i must be. In fairness his mate posted that it was the most sorted and best handling Ducati 999 he had ever ridden.
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:26 am

Pete, I'm not keen of getting the most out of the engine. Since rollerizing, I have to complain some power missing, coming along with a change of the engine's characteristics. If it runs like before then, It's ok for me.

Yes, You are are the God of Guzzi, but way too far away for me. Otherwise you would have got an order to pick my GRiSO up, knowing the bike in magic hands.

What would You do in my place to egalize the power lack?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Serial #s and Flat Tappets   Serial #s and Flat Tappets - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Serial #s and Flat Tappets
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next