12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...
 
HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ecs
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
avatar

Posts : 95
Join date : 2013-11-11

PostSubject: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Interested in looking into retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO. Anyone know what is involved? I see our German friends seem to have worked it out.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
avatar

Posts : 2614
Join date : 2014-05-22
Age : 61

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Trade it on a Tuono, you get 50% more power n torque and about 50kg less for your money.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
ecs
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
avatar

Posts : 95
Join date : 2013-11-11

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:32 pm

But a Tuono is not a GRiSO..
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO
avatar

Posts : 6008
Join date : 2013-09-30

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:56 pm

This project interests me.




Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
avatar

Posts : 3252
Join date : 2014-03-13
Age : 64

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:08 pm

well the bare bones are there from either the Sport or Norge, or from one of the Stelvios. Apart from hiding the ABS unit somewhere (it will be a challenge on the GRiSO), the rest is well documented, but will require fitting different brake components front and rear, and a bit of plumbing/wiring.
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avatar

Posts : 186
Join date : 2016-09-28
Age : 58

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:01 pm

The ABS unit will be hidden under the seat, exactly at the place of the removed snorkel of the airbox lid.
Back to top Go down
ecs
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
avatar

Posts : 95
Join date : 2013-11-11

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:26 am

This is a GRiSO with ABS I found on another site: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Says a dealer did it with Stelvio OEM parts. There is a member here (v-mannkiel) who says he has retrofitted it but I tried to send him a message but it says "this user does not wish to receive private messages"
Back to top Go down
davem
Biondino
Biondino
avatar

Posts : 297
Join date : 2013-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:59 am

I have only had one bike with ABS (Triumph Tiger) and for the life of me I couldn't get the thing to kick in. The only time I wished I had ABS on the GRiSO was when I dropped the GRiSO on a wet lawn with a dab of front brake, would ABS saved the day? I'm not sure, you will never know until you really need it.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
avatar

Posts : 3252
Join date : 2014-03-13
Age : 64

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Dave, no.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
avatar

Posts : 375
Join date : 2017-08-06
Age : 64

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:59 pm

And then add pitch and yaw control, air bags, and make it a driverless bike. Just get on and let the computer do it all:-(
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
avatar

Posts : 449
Join date : 2015-02-09
Age : 65

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:06 pm

I know ABS is great technology; however I love my GRiSO all the more as it is pure bare bones riding. No engine maps, slipper clutch, multi level traction control, multi level ABS, electronic suspension etc. etc.
I believe the brakes and handling are pretty darn good, the suspension with a few tweeks (esp the shock) and a Beetle map and Bobs your Uncle.
This bike is so different to my Multi as to be every bit as enjoyable to ride because of its simplicity, no nonsense solid engineering and sheer rideability.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
avatar

Posts : 1280
Join date : 2014-01-02

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:54 pm

I've been in two instances where I'm glad I didn't have ABS...
One of them I escaped a wreck by putting the bike sideways to force it into a different trajectory via locking the rear wheel, can't do that with ABS.
The other one, same scenario but couldn't avoid the crash this time. I had to lay her down! lol I did avoid T-bonning the moron that cut me off by again, locking the brakes...I was at work the next day. Had I gone into a head on collision due to ABS, I'm pretty sure the outcome would have been bad for me.
Now in the wet I'd welcome that technology but not in dry conditions, fuck that.
I feel that if you can't ride a motorcycle without ABS, maybe you should reconsider this.
Get comfortable in front of your TV set with a Forza video game and you won't have to rely on ABS. Me think you should be safe... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
davem
Biondino
Biondino
avatar

Posts : 297
Join date : 2013-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:08 am

How many riders actually practice braking, I mean the full on oh-shit type that might just save your life.
Does anyone when they get a new bike find a quiet stretch of road and test the brakes to their limit, not many I suspect.
Back to top Go down
moby
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2016-06-09
Age : 66

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:51 am

Grisonut wrote:
I've been in two instances where I'm glad I didn't have ABS...
One of them I escaped a wreck by putting the bike sideways to force it into a different trajectory via locking the rear wheel, can't do that with ABS.
The other one, same scenario  but couldn't avoid the crash this time. I had to lay her down! lol  I did avoid T-bonning the moron that cut me off by again, locking the brakes...I was at work the next day. Had I gone into a head on collision due to ABS, I'm pretty sure the outcome would have been bad for me.
Now in the wet I'd welcome that technology but not in dry conditions, fuck that.
I feel that if you can't ride a motorcycle without ABS, maybe you should reconsider this.
Get comfortable in front of your TV set with a Forza video game and you won't have to rely on ABS. Me think you should be safe... Very Happy


Agreed re ability to lock rear end is a good trait. Have utilised this a couple times as above. The Le Mans Mk II with the foot lever activated front and rear always had me nervous hoping not to need this capacity to lock rear wheel. Maybe a front- end only ABS is best?

Back to top Go down
Brent S
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avatar

Posts : 123
Join date : 2015-10-19

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:59 am

My biggest hesitation when I considered buying my GRiSO was the absence of ABS. I know, there’s countless stories of when manual braking without ABS theoretically resulted in a better outcome than may have been the case with ABS. Really, that’s just speculation though. When you’re blasting along your favourite piece of road, picking your braking points, then I agree that ABS is rarely required, unless of course you overcook a corner. Has been done before. However, it’s the situation of a damp road and some flog drives out in front of you, and the instant reaction is to grab a handful of front brake.........that’s where ABS can save your arse. Period.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO
avatar

Posts : 6008
Join date : 2013-09-30

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:19 pm

I think ABS may have saved me from my crash.


Edit: I think I still would have crashed, but perhaps at a lower speed. One will never know.





Last edited by beetle on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
moby
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2016-06-09
Age : 66

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:58 pm

beetle wrote:

I think ABS may have saved me from my crash.



I had an accident a few months ago and ABS would have have prevented it. Front wheel washed out under straight line braking .... there, it's out, confessed, ... and after 45 years of riding and never having had any rider responsible loss of control until this one.

Which to show, the bruises or the newly fandango'd bike which I got back yesterday ? I'll post next week when the matris suspension is done.

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
avatar

Posts : 3252
Join date : 2014-03-13
Age : 64

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:35 pm

beetle wrote:

I think ABS may have saved me from my crash.




Maybe some fork oil may have helped too, Mark?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
avatar

Posts : 1280
Join date : 2014-01-02

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:47 pm

moby wrote:
Grisonut wrote:
I've been in two instances where I'm glad I didn't have ABS...
One of them I escaped a wreck by putting the bike sideways to force it into a different trajectory via locking the rear wheel, can't do that with ABS.
The other one, same scenario  but couldn't avoid the crash this time. I had to lay her down! lol  I did avoid T-bonning the moron that cut me off by again, locking the brakes...I was at work the next day. Had I gone into a head on collision due to ABS, I'm pretty sure the outcome would have been bad for me.
Now in the wet I'd welcome that technology but not in dry conditions, fuck that.
I feel that if you can't ride a motorcycle without ABS, maybe you should reconsider this.
Get comfortable in front of your TV set with a Forza video game and you won't have to rely on ABS. Me think you should be safe... Very Happy


Agreed re ability to lock rear end is a good trait. Have utilised this a couple times as above.  The Le Mans Mk II with the foot lever activated front and rear always had me nervous hoping not to need this capacity to lock rear wheel. Maybe a front- end only ABS is best?

 

Good point on the Le Mans integrated brakes (I think that's what they called it)...would scare me as well.

Most riders put too much confidence in ABS in my opinion, especially the novice guys. False sense of security.
If you go too fast in a turn, doesn't matter...you will end up in the ditch, ABS or not.
I'm not closed minded to ignore the benefit of that technology. Like I said, on wet pavement and gravel roads etc... I'll welcome the option but in normal dry conditions I don't want it.
But it's me, being very subjective as I learned riding on dirt bikes when I was a kid so I'm used to negotiate a turn on unstable grounds without using a lot of brakes or none at all.

@ davem: Totally agree...not many riders at all practice the "Oh shit!" moment with braking when they get a new bike. But they should, because I do and I made sure to pay special attention on the GRiSO since it's a heavy beast. Certainly the heaviest I ever owned...
Not gonna lie, I was nervous back in 2010 when I got my first GRiSO. Took me a few runs to correctly drift the back end a bit and it was scary to find the lock up pressure point with the front brakes on a bike that heavy. I wouldn't attempt this on a Gold Wing. lol
Back to top Go down
ecs
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
avatar

Posts : 95
Join date : 2013-11-11

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:00 pm

beetle wrote:

I think ABS may have saved me from my crash.


I cannot see a reason not to have it, especially if it contributes just a little bit to saving an off.  Would be a lot less black stripes on the road that is for sure.  

Still waiting to see if anyone has done it on the board.
Back to top Go down
V11
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
avatar

Posts : 59
Join date : 2015-04-22

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:15 pm

I had ABS on my Aprilia; it either worked perfectly and I never noticed or it didn't work at all. Very Happy As an aside my MkIV had linked brakes and I loved it. The GRiSO has no ABS and no linkage and it works fine too. Matter of fact just last week someone had leaked a diesel line around a busy roundabout here in Newcastle, the front end started to slide, backed of the throttle, stood the bike up a bit, no brakes applied and came out the other side with a smile. I don't reckon ABS would have helped in that situation anyway.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
avatar

Posts : 3252
Join date : 2014-03-13
Age : 64

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:49 pm

A lot of these "things" are to make up for a pile of non-skilled experts. Sad 'innit?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO
avatar

Posts : 6008
Join date : 2013-09-30

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:11 pm

V11 wrote:
I had ABS on my Aprilia; it either worked perfectly and I never noticed or it didn't work at all. Very Happy As an aside my MkIV had linked brakes and I loved it. The GRiSO has no ABS and no linkage and it works fine too. Matter of fact just last week someone had leaked a diesel line around a busy roundabout here in Newcastle, the front end started to slide, backed of the throttle, stood the bike up a bit, no brakes applied and came out the other side with a smile. I don't reckon ABS would have helped in that situation anyway.


So you had a situation where brakes were not required, and then you use it in a way to suggest ABS is irrelevant?

Curious.


Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO
avatar

Posts : 6008
Join date : 2013-09-30

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:14 pm

Here's an idea, why don't you armchair experts, haters, and riders so skilled that the rest of us quiver in our leathers simply fuck off? If Greg wants to do something to his GRiSO that will not harm it in anyway, then we should help him out instead of bagging out ABS.




Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
avatar

Posts : 148
Join date : 2016-04-14

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Ok, I could install it if he wanted, BUT, I won't! Why? LIABILITY LAWSUIT. I am f$cking poor enough already. Good luck w/it. Good idea and all that. You will most likely be doing it on your own.
For the electrics, has to custom tied into system and ecu. You want to copy this from what doner bike the unit comes from and have it all sorted before you start, Installing Integral Braking would be a piece of cake. Another thing to consider is if you have a wreck, will your insurance cover it on a modified bike.
Back to top Go down
 
What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: